Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave 2008 (with mini-TR and photo link at end)

Poster: A snowHead
JT, ... let me know the times on March 5th when you get them. See if you can get the option of returning from AIME on March 15th - I can drop you to the station sans problem ..... Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BernardC,

PM'd you as it was a bit OT
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just did a final check with Manu Lestienne - everything fully confirmed.

..... T - 22 ..... Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
all you need is this high pressure to sod off in a few weeks time, same thing I'm hoping for as I'm in Engelberg end of Feb
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, .... positive waves ..... Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
oh..we are back... that is good.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
.... just time for all to check their arrival and exact 'departure' dates at the hotel as well ..... Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BernardC,

Good idea.

It has been such a long time,

I am booked in with Brian AFAIK so will check what time/day he is checking out
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brian has booked to arrive wed late and ski thurs to sun ( 4 days )
Fatbob and Phil arrive wed eve and depart early mon ( 4 days )
Graham amd Bro out on wed and fly back early evening Tues...so might be half a day there.

BC, still trying to get the 13th off work
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guys, please take care when you come out. 2 died yesterday and one last week on the mountain. Check out http://www.ledauphine.com/accident-de-montagne-apres-avoir-saute-une-barre-rocheuse-deux-skieurs-retrouves-morts-@/index.jspz?article=9922&chaine=25 for details.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We (x2) should be booked in wed-sat nights at the hotel (though I didn't make the booking so Bernard C is now worrying me) Sun night we'll sleep near the airport.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, ..... don't mean to worry ..... 'A stich in time saves nine' .... and all that .... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ok.. I am booked down to Grenoble on the 5th and out via Aime on the 15th.

I just need the bus up the valley around about 2000....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mmmmm a bit quiet here.

There should be a storm blowing through the south of england over the weekend and I've heard it is headed for LG...on Tuesday..just in time..!!!

fatbob, are you passing Grenoble about 2000 on the wed... ? I am not sure of the bus timetables yet and how far they go up the hill.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
metcheck predicts dumpage this time next week. think positive!
snow report
Arno, as I am in Serre Che next week, I am thinking positvely too.
latest report
JT,

Passing grenoble about 23.00 or so I suspect so if want to install yourself Au Coin D'une Bar maybe we could pick you up, otherwise we should make you eco-warrior types walk wink

I know its because you get cheap train tickets.
latest report
fatbob wrote:
JT,

we should make you eco-warrior types walk wink

I know its because you get cheap train tickets.

Apparently certain eco-warrior types are doing 1st class travel these days. Perhaps he could sit on your roof rack Toofy Grin
snow report
fatbob,

Cheap...Laughing £230.00 ... !!! but some of that is down to booking later that I would have liked.....

I have your numbers and will see what I can do bus-wise... other-wise roof-rack is fine...

I know Brian said he would be by about that time as well...maybe I should have the beers waiting..Laughing
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I'm supposed to be avoiding snowHead s due to work deadlines this week but as ...

a) it's all going tits up anyway Sad

and

b) the 06z GFS shows a ~30-40cm dump right down to village level Wed-Thu then clears up nicely for the weekend* Very Happy

I thought I'd peek in to see if excitement's building at all. wink

Bus times for JT don't look great, last one from Grenoble at 1745 ...

http://www.vfd.fr/horaires_ligne_VFD_LER-35_2008.pdf

* but major uncertainty abounds following cold plunge Mon/Tue.
snow report
brian, hope you find some of this:

i'm beginning to get excited about my own trip now. i might start bumping old threads

hope i can catch up with you guys at some point over the weekend anyway
snow report
Arno,

I recognise those tracks... Toofy Grin

brian, thanks for that, I need to be on my toes then...
snow report
I heard that yesterday it was only possible to ski to P1 not further down (well maybe I would have gone right down). The guy I was speaking to said the moguls through the woods and on that last bit were HUGE. Let's hope that this time the snow does arrive. don't forget I'm off the Wengen on Sat am, so if we're going to meet up (I hope so) it would have to be before that. thurs would be better than Fri for me, but Fri is also possible. Flat out work all week though. Confused
ski holidays
easiski,

Ok... forgot that you were off to Wengen... enjoy it..!!

Look for thurs or fri.. I will be in touch ..

Thanks for the tip about P1... wink
latest report
JT,

I thought you got some sort of work related discount or is that UK only.
ski holidays
i have got to stop looking at metcheck
dumpage for next week has been scaled back to not much more than a dusting Mad
ski holidays
fatbob,

UK only...and a bit of eurostar ... Sad

Arno, Sad
latest report
Manu says snow is due tuesaday/wednesday so BC has booked him if any of you want to get out there earlier.

I told him I would post this on his behalf...

Cool
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Doesn't look like much is going to get as far south as LG, 10cm maybe 15 if we're lucky. Fingers crossed it doesn't fizzle out altogether before it gets there as it's going to freeze hard, we could be looking at some pretty solid conditions. Confused
snow conditions
I came back from La Grave on Saturday after a week with the SCGB.

It has not snowed for some time however most of the slopes are holding up well and have surprisingly good cover. The entries to some of the runs are getting exposed but after that the snow is generally OK with not many rocks showing so it is quite easy to get around. Skiing down to P1 by either main route is no problem - well no more a problem than usual!

One of our groups skied all the way down to the bottom late on Friday afternoon, however they said it was not at all enjoyable and the cover in places was getting thin.

We did do the run to St. Cristoph on Thursday although we had quite a long walk out at the end.

Our guides as in previous years were Jean-Eves and Phillippe, together with Manu who was an additional guide to previous years as our group had increased to eighteen people. If Manu is the same person as mentioned earlier in this thread then I can say he is first class.

Robin the owner of the Edelweiss was somewhat sceptical about the snow forecasts. They seem to have forecasted snow on several occasions and then each time pushed the forecast back a few days. Maybe someone was trying to paint a positive picture for the peak French holiday season?

Thanks to our guides we had a surprisingly good week with some fresh powder off the back of Alpe D'Huez on Wednesday.
snow report
 brian
brian
richjp, doesn't sound too bad, thanks for the report.
latest report
richjp,

Sounds good... Laughing

BC said Manu said snow today and tomorrow... so thats that then..!! Laughing
ski holidays
Thanks for that Rich. I got back from Val d'Anniviers on Saturday as well, and similar story. Hadn't snowed for nearly a month, but snow conditions were holding up well as temperatures had until them been pretty low, but it was getting a bit thin right down near the base-station level. South-facing slopes were pretty crusty, but north facing had good snow on them. The snow we were supposed to have got the previous Thurs didn't turn up. At the end of the week (Weds and Thurs nights) there was a bit of precipitation which was light rain at lower levels, which set off a few small avalanches and made the lower snow extremely heavy and in places virtually unskiable. Then the weekend "dump" turned into about maybe 10cm in the course of Sat am, with the sun coming out again by lunchtime.

If any of you have skins it may be worth bringing them, and if you don't you might like to give some thought about hiring touring gear as we were still getting first tracks most of the week, by virtue of being willing to spend an hour or two a day skinning into or out of remoter territory.

Roll on Weds eve.... snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
A quick call to the TO and the last bus up is indeed 1745 which isn't any good for me...

Is anyone passing who can offer me a lift..no skis.. and give me an idea of the time...

Failing that, BC said he can come down to collect me but it is a long way...so I'll avoid that if I can.
snow report
JT, If you can get a bus to Boug d'Oisans that would be better for BC or you could probably hitch from there! snowHead
latest report
easiski,

I did ask about how high I could get up the valley via bus...and she implied that that was the last bus...
snow report
JT,

looks like this one will get you to the Bourg d'O or the Barrage du Chambon later on in the evening:

http://www.transisere.fr/horaires_ligne/index.asp?rub_code=6&lign_id=531
snow conditions
Arno,

Thanks for that...but I can't seem to get the timetable to load on my PC....but at least I kow the route code so will be able to find the bus....
ski holidays
JT, Arno, it looks to me as if those later buses are only on Thurs-Sat, (JT, click on the Acrobat link to get the pdf to download) so the last one is indeed 17:40 on Weds (look at the day codes in blue above the main table of times). Fatbob'n'Phil are on the same plane as me'n'bro (Steve), and we all get in half an hour before brian, so we should be able to sort something out for a pickup in Grenoble between us. My guess is that it would be best for Brian to do so as it'll be a bit of a squeeze for us pairs as I have a Clio-equivalent, and we have two pairs of skis to get in it, and I doubt the fatbobs are much different. It's all going to be 2300+ though.

Thurs for a meal with easiski sounds good to me, with the slight proviso that we'll have had a late night the night before so may be a bit low on gas by the evening - but I'm sure her scintillating company will gee us all up as ususal Wink snowHead .
snow report
GrahamN,

Thanks for that..it was as I expected and I am doomed.....

Don't worry about me unless you get a plaintive call on the day....Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy