Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave 2008 (with mini-TR and photo link at end)

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, I am booking a single room today
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Arno, Sad Ah well, see you for a beer hopefully.

BernardC, "microdrive eg. Ford Ka or Fiat Panda" Confused I'm slightly worried I might not actually fit in it ....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno,

That's a shame (particularly as we'd organised our dates especially for you wink )

I think you may have done something wrong however - I thought the point of a new job was more skiing vouchers/days off not less.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bad luck Arno Sad

Just spoke to my bro though and he's quite keen on coming, but my timing sucks as he's just off for a week's windsurfing in Greece so can't commit until he gets back (needs to negotiate the time off with a) a client and b) SWBMO). He'd probably be interested in running though to the Tues too, which would make up a group of 4 beyond Sun, which would be good. If he doesn't come though I probably need to keep some leave in hand for a sneaky half-week away with him some other time, so I'd then have to be another on the Wed-Sun lark. Should be able to firm all this up when he's back in 10 days time or so. Probably end up getting the BA flight that gets in about the same time as brian's - which I assume fatbob'n'Dave are on.

fatbob, when I've been over in SC with guides we've not done anything much more than we did last year - i.e. that cut round the back of Tabuc, across from the Cucumelle (although we did come round once to end up dropping down into Monetier), and along the Crete de Balme into that huge couloir, although we did find some nice random walks through the trees above Villeneuve, but still no real need for a guide for that.

I still have Manu's number - or there was his website on the previous page.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am booking the train and plan to travel throuigh the day on wednesday. I might be able to overnight Tuesday and pick up BC in Grenoble or see what time you guys are getting in at the airport.

I hope to travel back on the 15th fom Chambery

Arno, shame Sad

Re: SC, I am sure that we can have a good day without guides - just on the basis of last year with Bernard and Graham- if need be although the piste map isn't very helpful to see what we found realatively easily.
This could be a good thing.... !!!
I don't know what they offer for Montgenvre.

so all coming together.... Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
..... and I promise not to be so principled when being ignored by surly restaurant staff .... wink Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BernardC, well,they were acting like back bottoms... ha ha
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK booked

LHR-LYS19.20 Wed 5th
LYS-LHR 07.10 Mon 10th

Will be getting a small car so space for one more at a pinch (after my bro plus skis)
latest report
 brian
brian
Is sumdy contacting our guiding chums then ?

btw, can someone remind me the name/publisher of the guidebook for the Oisans ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian wrote:
btw, can someone remind me the name/publisher of the guidebook for the Oisans ?

vamos, although the skierslodge website (seems to have disappeared of late) had much better pictures, more routes in La Grave and some of the descriptions were nicked straight from the vamos guide!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian,

And I am reading it right now....Laughing

It is called L'alpe d'huez - les 2 alpes - la grave hors piste by Vamos.

I bought it when down there last november ..

hmmm, Arno is right, the skierslodge link has gone..and I looked at it about 2-3 weeks ago.
it had a few routes a bit beyond the scope of the guide book, IIRCC.

Got anything in mind..??

AFAIK, BC was looking after the guiding. FWIW, I don't think we need one if confined to the classic routes.

So, we are all booked in except G who we know about..?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
JT, I think St Christophe might be a wee adventure, and some of Arno's stuff off the back of L'Alpe d'Huez looks sensational so I wouldn't mind a bit of that but in general I'm happy to go anywhere.

http://theskierslodge.com/legendaryroutes.html

They seem to have lost the pics though Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, a lot of the good stuff at ADH ain't in the guidebook wink

it would be cool if i can make it work to show you guys around one day, although a guide has the advantage of being able to organise a heli pickup and drop back up to ADH from some of the more far out areas you can get to whereas with me you'd be left with a choice of one or all of taxi, traversing, walking or skinning
snow report
 brian
brian
Arno, very cool. Taxi-ing and traversing are both fine btw wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian,

Agree that we should get down to St Christophe and I also like the idea of ADH.

Maybe we can give the guide a wishlist of a few things and let him decide when and where.
snow report
 brian
brian
Wow Shocked snowHead

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
that one's not as hard as it looks wink
snow report
 brian
brian
Arno,

This one's described as the couloir to the left of the Vaujany cable car, is it the same one ?

ski holidays
I have just spoken to Manu Lestienne and booked him for 5 days;

Thursday 6th, Friday 7th, Saturday 8th, Sunday 9th and Monday 10th March.

I will be confirming this by e-mail. We can put together our 'Dream List' as time progresses ..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
5 days guiding Shock

Sounds like fun and perhaps a different spin on a "knee trembler" Wink
latest report
kitenski,

You know we have fun...you should be there as well..!! Laughing
latest report
JT wrote:
kitenski,

You know we have fun...you should be there as well..!! Laughing

I wish! Will have to see how finances and time off work go!
snow report
brian, yep - this is looking back up it at my mate Paul

latest report
 brian
brian
BernardC wrote:
I have just spoken to Manu Lestienne and booked him for 5 days;

Thursday 6th, Friday 7th, Saturday 8th, Sunday 9th and Monday 10th March.

I will be confirming this by e-mail. We can put together our 'Dream List' as time progresses ..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Did you hear him rolling eyes on the phone wink At least we don't have much to live up to I s'pose Laughing

Thanks for sorting that Very Happy
snow report
BernardC,

Well done with Manu.

Pretty much there for now....

I can't book my train until 4 months prior but the current schedule gets me into Grenoble at 15:00 and out of Chambery at 1055.

brian, have you tracked down the book yet..?
snow report
 brian
brian
JT, yep.

http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/cordee/offpiste-alpdhuez.htm
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All, looks like my bro's in Very Happy for the full deal. Intention is to fly out Weds eve and back Tues eve.. He just need to make a couple of arrangements and then we're done.
ski holidays
GrahamN, That is good news....we are a 7 now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flights booked now for me and my bro'. Out on the same one as everyone else, back tues eve (BA0363, depart LYS 18:25, 11/Mar). I'll give the Castillan a call tomorrow.
latest report
just found this sweet vid of SC on youtube...........

http://youtube.com/v/YGE4qswF52w

Cheers,

greg
ski holidays
kitenski,

It looks like all over the valley, I'd guess. There are probably bits of LG and stuff in there as well
snow conditions
glad to see you've got a full complement notwithstanding me bailing out snowHead
latest report
This sounds like a great few days and I'd love to come and ski with you all.
However my wife probably wouldn't stand for my going away for yet another holiday, and it sounds you are full-up anyway. Indeed 7 might be rather many for a guide (are you taking a guide at all?) - I imagine, if he'd take 7, he could be reluctant to do anything very steep. However of the guides I know, Graham Austick (in St Anton) is happy to ski with groups up to 7 - so you may be OK.

BTW I'd probably find you would all be fine on the holidays I organise, (it would be great to have a bigger pool of skiers to invite). But being responsible I have to be (over-?) cautious with people I've not skied with for the sake of the old-hands - so I hope I've not come over as a stuck-up lady's front bottom with those I've PM'd.
snow report
 brian
brian
Good god, we're away down on page 4. A very disappointing performance on the hype front, chaps. To redress the balance, a nice picture from AlTom on the L2A reports thread. Very Happy

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=773184#773184
snow conditions
 brian
brian
snowball, no, no stuck-upness problem as far as I'm concerned. I think if you read back in this thread we had similar concerns*.

* but decided to ignore them and stick with a cliquey approach to next year too wink Laughing
snow conditions
ha ha...good to see this thread back.

I agree that it is a difficult thing to do...as you don't know what someone can do until you see them do it.... and it worked out well so no problem with the very necessary 'screaning' ....

Best go and sort out my trains now...
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
just found this sweet vid of SC on youtube...........

http://youtube.com/v/YGE4qswF52w

Cheers,

greg

Greg, what a great video!!! Very Happy
latest report
I can't book my trains this far in advance yet but I have provisional times.

Arrive in Chambery at 1822 on the 5th Mar. It might be an idea if I go onto Grenoble and try and catch any of you guys coming through from Lyon.
I am not sure what time the last bus up is but as I can't book atm anyway so have a few days grace planning and plotting.

I am looking at the return from Chambery on the 15th Mar @ 1024.
snow report
 brian
brian
JT, I could pick you up en route but it would be quite late, I don't land at Lyon until after 10pm I think.
ski holidays
brian,

ok, that is good to know, thanks. I will be able to get the exact timetable on the 16th Dec, they say and then we can go from there,
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy