Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Joetsu Kokusai - Any snowhead been there?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Next March in 2008 I shall have a trip to Hong Kong and am think of taking the advantage of going over to a Japanese resort. (1st time for us)

The Joetsu Kokusai resort seems to do a good deal for about US$1000 inclusive of accommodation, food, ski pass and equipment hire for a week although the terrain does not look all that challenging. The hotel seems nice and the resort is under 2 hours from Tokyo by a bullet train.

Just wonder if any snowhead has been to Japanese resorts and can offer some tips. Equipment hire seems expensive there. The other alternative seems to go north to Hokkaido to popular places like Niseko
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Happo'one and various stations in the Hakuba Valley are your best bet. They are 2 - 4 hrs from Tokyo.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saikee,
You used to be able to get direct flights between Hong Kong and Hokkaido. With the very large snowfallls that Hokkaido gets and the ability to ski Rusutsu Niseko or Sapporo that would be my option. Sapporo is quite an interesting city in its own right.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Direct flight between Hong Kong and New Chitose Airport, Sapporo, Hokkaido 3-4 times a week on Cathay Pacific.

2.5 hour bus, train or private transfer between the airport and Hirafu, Niseko.

Contact Claire at the Ski Japan office (the biggest operator in the Niseko area) for more info
E: claire@skijapan.com

And if you need lessons & rentals check out Niseko Base Snowpsorts http://nisekobase.com/

I'm a ski instructor for this company. So ask for Mike Richards (Welsh Mike) if you want to learn how to ski pow / find the best stashes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saikee, ... I am hoping to get to ski in Japan next season also - touring/hors piste with helinick of Mountain Tracks. I will PM you the details when I get them as there is quite an 'overview' of Japenese resorts in the preface.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The touring on and around Tokachidake and Asahidake is excellent.

Furano is not as good as the Niseko area for resort skiing and 'slackcountry' access.

And based on the photograph Mountain Tracks use on their web site they may be outsourcing to these guys

http://www.b-powdertracks.com/indexeng.htm

Some great info here:

http://www.backcountrylogistics.com.au/Locations/Hokkaido/Hokkaido.html

This looks like a good tour

http://www.yamnuska.com/hokkaido_ski.shtml

I've skied all the resort and non-resort stuff in the Niseko area in this itinerary. From December through 'til last Saturday!!

And Mt Yotei still has snow in the crater and a sliver down the front side with my name on it Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hokkaido will give you colder, drier snow. The Japanese alps are notorious for wet heavy snow, due to their proximity to the coast.

I have skied at Yuzawa, which is about 2h from Tokyo, and experienced some quite nasty wet weather there (as well as some good days).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys, for the excellent info. Think I have to go there to see/try myself. I am not hoping to get the same Alpine standard but just to sample what it is like there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saikee,
From the little I saw you may be pleasantly suprised.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saikee,

The big difference between Hokkaido (and areas of the US and Canada for that matter) and Europe is that a 1,000m descent in Europe may involve 1 (if you're very lucky) to many (if you're unlucky) types of snow on the descent - ice, wind blown powder, breakable crust, powder of varying consistencies, through to slush - whereas from December through to April I skied the same consistency powder top to bottom for 1,000m.

Does Hokkaido have the alpine grandeur of the Alps? No.

Does it have the quality, quantity and consistency of snow that the Alps has? No. Thank the lord. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow,

Does this mean in Japan I won't be able to find a mountain railway to take me to the top of slope like I could in Zermatt and eat my James Bond spagetti in the revolving mounatin top restaurant as in Murren?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not in the part of Japan that I'm holed up in.

But you will get top notch Japanese food for lunch for a fiver, maybe a sixer. Free water and green tea thrown in.

Peter Hardy wrote a good piece in the Telegraph after his visit this past winter

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1&xml=/travel/2007/02/17/etjapanski117.xml
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy