Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing without poles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
YMMV? what's that then?
davidb, thanks for expanding on the problem! As I think easiski has mentioned elsewhere, "modern" pole planting is very much a wrist movement, at least on "easier" terrain, where you probably don't need to use poles anyway.

Many years ago I spent a week with Ali Ross skiiing essentially without poles. I moved straight (drove Tignes to Flaine) to a second week on a Fresh Tracks trip where I was criticised on the first "testing" runs for not using poles rolling eyes

I think the question is, does not using poles stop you from doing stuff you want to do? If so, then follow lbt's suggestion above. If not, then why worry about poles?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your Mileage May Vary
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lbt, The exercise you mention is very useful for stabilising the upper body and for stopping people waving their arms about. Most people find it quite hard to start with, but then start to like it when they find that their legs begin working independently of their arms.[

b]davidb[/b], I think you could get an odd pair of sticks. A normal sized one for your left hand and either no stick or a small one for your right. One armed people use only one stick. Look for the thrown away pairs to broken ones and you won't even have to pay! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, Hi and thanks for your very interesting Oct comments.
In the video of Mr Craggs(thank you Sir for posting that) do you consider he is using "a minimal wrist movemement to make a touch (not a real plant)"?
Would you rather that we ski without poles in difficult terrain....as an exercise in learning to do without emotional crutches? snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mac46, I don't think I use the poles at all on that one do I?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alan Craggs, spoilsport Laughing Stage fright? Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The trouble with poles when in queue's is that little children like to poke your eyes out whilst swinging them in golfing motions Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mac46, ski-ing without poles in difficult terrain is a good exercise, but you should build to it gradually. It is possible to have a nasty accident. However I think it's worth persevering from time to time s you may break a pole in a inconvenient place one day and have to do it!! However choose your condition carefully. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, Thanks again for your advice. We regularly ski without poles on groomed stuff and also on one ski(leave the other at the top of the lift). A few seasons back I broke a pole when I lodged it in a barely covered rock face so I had to ski the steep and deep without actually choosing to do so pole-less....my turns got progressively shorter and shorter until we came out of the couloir and then I allowed myself the luxury of a faceplant.....lost about half a kilo in sweat! snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mac46, sounds as though you're doing all the right things anyway. I find that without either one or both poles the trick is to pretend you have them in more difficult terrain. I make phantom pole plants and that's fine. On the piste it's quite good to just try to ski with your arms relaxed by your sides sometimes - it's amazing how much rotation this throws up! Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't understand how anybody can ski with out poles. The whole point of skiing is that it is a very efficient way of getting around a mountain - as opposed to snowboarding - and poles are absolutely fundamental in my book. I could not go to 20% of the places I go to without poles.

Hhhhhmmmnnn very strange..!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy