Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Environmentalists protest major ski resort plan for Indian Himalayas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
David Goldsmith wrote:
achilles wrote:
... and the Roundhouse cannot pay its own way.

I'm sure you didn't mean to say that!
It pays every bill it is obliged to pay, as far as I'm aware.

I thought it was obvious that I meant that it could not pay its own way without subsidy rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

[edit] Indeed, I think my original wording was correct. Any business that relies on subsidy is not paying its own way. [/edit]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 12-06-07 9:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You mean, like snowHeads?
Or the local bus?
Or a local library?
Or Ryanair cheapo flights around Europe (bankrolled by destination tourist authorities)?

What's the point you're making?

Well, yes, the Roundhouse is subsidised - like I imagine the majority of arts venues in the UK. A society collectively places values on things and a complex network of finances keeps the show on the road.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, dear friend. I imagine that snowheads is paying its way by now, with the various revenue streams and the donations that man snowheads pay in. Quite right, too.
The local bus is another matter. Most are certainly not paying their own way. Perhaps they should, though I am inclined to think its loss should be accepted as part of local infrastructure cost. Scarcely the case with skiing.

I would abolish libraries. Quite an opportunity to cut local spending in my view. But of course, that is a matter for the local electorate.

If Ryanair faces reduced costs, it is because the destinations see a commercial advantage. So capitalism prevails.

I have already said I am sure The Roundhouse is an excellent institution.

This conversation is becoming pointless, and so the thread has become boring. Time to let it be, I think.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman wrote:
David Goldsmith, you think you know exactly what Finns and Indians ought not to be doing and would compel them to fall in line with you. That is illiberal (and conceited).

David Goldsmith wrote:
You know that's rubbish.

Well, earlier you wrote:

David Goldsmith wrote:
There has to an international plan to stop skiing causing yet more damage

In other words, a higher authority must compel the Finns and Indians not to go ahead with the developments you have highlighted. So it is not "rubbish" that you have an illiberal attitude, based on the conceit of your moral certainty.

Quote:
The whole point of this is that the global atmosphere is a matter of international action and politics. That's why I've not criticised either the Indian or Finnish peoples/governments.

That's as may be, but please do not pretend that your stance is not illiberal. You're obviously entitled to believe that environmental concerns should trump liberalism in particular instances, and you may even be right for some, but please see your views for what they are.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laundryman, I think you've got Goldsmith there. I've long held the view that he holds an illiberal agenda and now the undeniable truth has been exposed.

We must fight these illiberals.

I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our sport, to ride out the storm of liberalism, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of all skier - every man and woman of them. The British Isles and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their alpine sport, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large tracts of Europe's heli-skiing terrain and many old and famous helipads have fallen or may fall into the grip of the eco-terrorists, like DG, and all the odious apparatus of illiberal rule, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the pistes and off-piste, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the fun parks, we shall defend our sport, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the T-bars, we shall fight on the chair lifts, we shall fight in the resorts and in the bars, we shall fight in the foothills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this sport or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our friends beyond the seas, armed and guarded by our bother skiers, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tim Brown, glad to see that you didn't mention that you would fight on forums. I trust that this means a cessation to hostilities on this front?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
surely the liberal mantra is "if it doesn't affect me, i don't mind what you do." isn't the argument that the environmental damage caused by certain activities affects all of us?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tim Brown, I'm currently paying 15p per 1000 words to freelance writers. If you feel you can do better, I'd encourage you to test your talents in the open marketplace.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So I disagree with David's plans to curtail skiing in the name of environmentalism, and I also strongly disagree with achilles' plans to shut down libraries.

I'm confused, does that make me liberal, illiberal, libertarian, libertine, libellous, illiterate, or something else?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cedric, probably all of the above depending upon who you ask Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cedric, Part of the silent majority?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy