Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying my first board

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've been boarding for about 4 weeks now and am looking to buy myself my first board/bindings as I will be going on THREE trips this year Cool

I've been riding a 158 (I'm 5'7"), weigh 11 stone, ride regular footed with a few degrees of negative on the back foot and I have a pair of size 9 (UK) Burton Hails.

I tend to carve piste but with reasonably frequent excursions into snow parks and powder.

I've had one hire board that was too stiff, but the one I rode last year was much better (which was IIRC an Atomic DJ)

I'm comfortable getting air (in fact, sod that I *love* getting air) and am now reasonably happy landing fakie. I can ride fakie at about 70% of my regular speed, turning pretty confidently in both directions.

So I guess I want a board in the All Mountain/All Mountain Freestyle area for around £300
I will be going for a quick ride in Lake Tahoe in Jan while I'm over there for business and thought that this would be a good place to buy the board because of the strength of the pound - does anyone know the resort and how good the shops are and what brands they stock?
I take it buying a board is similar to skis; you go to the shop saying I want to try these boards try each of them out for free and then buy the board once you've decided..?

I have absolutely no idea about bindings - please educate me Smile

Thanks in advance,
truespin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
truespin, welcome to :SH::SH:.

If your budget was higher I'd say the radical flight. At that price the High Society Twilight is a nice board that would be at home anywhere on the mountain. As for bindings buy the best you can afford, a lot of people on here like Ride bindings but beware the flow fanatics wink .

No idea about LT in partcular although there are people here who know that area very well but I'd guess it would be a case of hire some boards and if you buy one the hire cost gets taken off the price.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just had the same dilema in choosing my son's 1st board.

He wanted a board that is great on the Park.
He wanted a board that could hold its own on the mountain and on the small indoor slopes.
He also needs a board that will take him to the next level.
Not one for 'following the crowd' he wanted a board from a good but lesser known boarding company.
My son skateboards to a good standard and wanted a board he could cross over tricks to.
He wanted a American board,preferrably built in California (the skateboarding connection).
He wanted a board he could also take to the big hill and not feel silly within a few years time because of the outdated graffix.

I bought him the new Signal Park series.

The new Burton Mission bindings are worth a look at too.

Ask yourself lots of questions and definately buy in the states if you can, purely because of the price. Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy