Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding vs. Skiing Falls

Poster: A snowHead
Is it just me or do you hit harder when taking a fall on a snowboard as compared to skiing... tried out snowboarding last winter and when that front edge bites it seemed like I got whipped into the snow harder than taking a spill on skis... anyone out there with experience both boarding and skiing who can comment... seemed to me that fall impacts on a board are a bit more severe than on skis... your comments appreciated... thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Certainly that's my experience as a tentative learner on a dryslope - it's physics Jim. When a board edge catches you are immediately rotated about the stuck edge and pile driven into the ground (front or back).

I never fall on skis so it's hard to compare Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My brief experience, supported by observation of other snowboarders, was that falling on your ar$e was part of the technique...

Welcome to snowHeads, tapar1 snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've taken the liberty of deleting your second identical post on this topic tapar1, hope that's OK with you Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
According to dolphingirl who I saw on Saturday at the Southern Ski Show, snowboarders can get a handy strap on cushion for their backside that helps prevent bruising to the posteria plus helps keep the same part of the anatomy warm and dry whilst sitting in the middle of the piste Shocked Yes folks she's a darksider, but seemed like a nice one Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, following my first experience I have bought one of these - not tested it yet...except in articificial conditions (i.e. bouncing up and down on the bottom of the stairs Shocked - seemed to work pretty well)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think that when you fall on skis it's usually to the side - which lessens the impact. On a board it's either your bum or face Confused
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As a former skier turned snowboarder I'd concur on the falls for the latter being a bit tougher. On skis you can get away with being a sloppy turner. You can always skid a turn and slide a fall. On the board it is tougher, less room for forgiveness. 'The Slam' fall is nasty becuase its very unexpected and has a whippy element.

I got use to wiping out on my toe edge, just the board sliding from you - very similar to sliding into a fall on skis. What took my breath away was the heel side fall - aka baning the back of your head or landing on yer bum - thump. When it happens suddenly that's the slam.

Have to confess that padded shorts, a bit of old camping mat or even a specially deisgned foam pad are useful for learners on dry slopes. On softer snow its less of a problem but it is wetter. So the foam padding is also useful!

However, God did give us a bum to fall on so even without padding its survivable. What really was useful when learning was wrist splints, as in the things rollerblader use. Falling forward on to your front you stick you hands out lot and you just get jarred alot. I really recommend investing in these.

Above all keep going! it was really chastening learning to fall again, it had been 15 years since I fell with any regularity. Learning all over again reteaches you how to read the slope, conditions and what your board is telling you via your feet.

Just imagine those wonderful rooster tail turns in deep powder to keep you going
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I ski and board and agree that in terms of a heavy impact, snowboarding falls are worse, especially the dreaded front edge catch, which has no equivalent in skiing. I never find falling backwards on a snowboard painful as I always use a rucsack so very rarely bang my @rse or head.

All my most painful snowboard falls are when your toe edge slips away and you fall forwards onto your chest, with the snowboard toe edge jamming in and out of the snow underneath you - causing huge stress on the ankles in soft boots. I know at least one boarder who has missed an entire season due to horrible complicated ankle fractures!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds like my mate www.snowgo.com for details of his accident. He basically supercompressed after hitting a bump on a high speed traverse. Early morning thing and wasn't warmed up.....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
toe edge slipping. Try squatting suddenly by pushing your knees out to the ends of the board. It puts pressure onto the edge and often checks the slip. Like gracefully sitting down. Imagine Little Britain's 'Ie'm ae Ladyeeeee'
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
toe edge jamming in and out of the snow underneath you - causing huge stress on the ankles

Yup, that is exactly how I broke my ankle 6 months ago and its still not quite right.

Generally, the pattern of injuries in snowboarding seems to be quite different with upper body (mainly wrists/head) injuries predominating wheras skiing injuries are typically lower body (most skiers I know have had knee injuries at some stage). For an excellent resource on ski/snowboard injuries check out Ski Injury which is run by a doctor at the medical centre at Cairngorm.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
face plants on snowboards are horrible, although the last one i did was strangely refreshing. coming down a blue run (im still afraid of reds) and really getting into the music a bit too much ("mindless self indulgence" in case you were interested) on the last day of my holiday, so i was pushing it a bit - and went into a turn with a mogul in it - i wasnt paying attention and caught my toe side edge into the mogul and just flipped. landed face first in the snow, rather dazed and wondering why i could only see white when i looked up. turned out my goggles had smashed open, filling them with snow. luckily my glasses inside were fine, and nothing else was hurt. apparently it looked "awsome" from my friends who were 50 meters behind me
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I find the worst fall to be when you're on your toe-edge, facing fairly up hill, and somehow manage to whip backwards, slamming your head into the snow.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have done that ponder and i saw stars for a little while. I was on a bend on a narrow road run with a vertical drop of at least a couple of hundred feet inches from where i ended up, hits your confidence for a little while i went down the rest of the run like a frightened mouse.
snow report
haven't caught and edge for ages, find that the worst these days are in fresh snow, loosing concentration, front end dips, whoops forgot to lean back or set bindings back........and..........front of board digs into snow, i get thrown forward = snowHead usually with a cracking sound from my neck.
snow conditions
Ive had some cracking falls, epsecially last year when i started getting a bit cocky! on one occasion i caught my front edge, falling on to both my bent arms and total winded my self making some very interesting noises, and at the same time my board flipped over my head nearly(but not quite) hittin my head! all this being much to the amusment of my so called friends!!! woke up the next morning and OH MY DAYS... it felt like someone had ripped my abdominals out and put them back in all back to front!!! compared to my skiing wipe outs i think ive topped them on the board!!!
ski holidays
these days my falls are fairly predictable - they follow on swiftly from me attempting something airborne. that's why i prefer to jump off things in soft snow rather than in the park. Those table tops hurt when you slam on them.
snow conditions
Occasionally nose dive when not concentrating in the the powder. Worst is missing spotting ice patches, losing an edge and slam!! Ouch! I am like Tony a bit cautious in the park. (bit of a wuss there really). Off in 3 weeks for trip 1!!! Ave it!!!!
latest report
those ice patches used to catch me out because I found that the natural reaction when I hit them was to press harder on the board to try to get more edge grip - but by doing so you actually push the edge out from underneath you, thus creating the slam.

now i make sure that if i hit an icy patch i squat a bit further down, thus improving the edge grip whilst keeping the centre of gravity over the edge

(I'm sure you know that Phil, but others may find it useful to learn from my early error)
latest report
Falling in powder is a breeze compared to slamming down on ice. Thats the trouble with that peski ice it makes you fall and hurts more. I say ban all ice patches from slopes we should make a patition and send it to the EU. snowHead
ski holidays
Yeah, death to all ice patches!!! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
It's the bloody noise aswell. It's akin to the scary music that accompanies a horror flick. You start panicking before anything has happened!!! Shocked
latest report
i tihnk falling on skis is worse since u have lik 7 foot skis comin dtoward ur head if u fall foward. cause on a snowboard u can kinda roll out of it
snow report
shredder269, welcome to snowHead
snow conditions
I've had a couple of slamming falls from catching toe or heel edges and each time it's been because of being too scared to commit myself to the edge I SHOULD be on. My son told me I had to get the board up more convincingly onto one edge or another, and if I overdid it, the fall wouldn't be nearly so bad! I discovered he was right, and a fall backwards from the back edge, or forwards from the toe edge, is less horrible. I am far too elderly to spend much time slamming all the breath out of myself and now generally don't hurt myself falling. However, I am still very much a beginner and not going very fast - I guess that a whole new generation of falls awaits, once I start to get up to speed and try more difficult slopes. However, I have learned absolutely NOT to put my hands out to try not to face plant, or to try to save the coccyx. Even with wrist guards it's dangerous. I stupidly fell off a curb the other day, not looking where I was going, on a very hot day in the south of France. I was delighted to find that my reaction was to keep my arms across my chest, go down on one shoulder and roll, rather than try vainly to recover or put my arms out. I felt a complete tit but I didn't hurt anything, despite being dressed in shorts and a tee-shirt. Within reason, it's not a bad thing to learn how to take falls as you get older - I hope to spend 6 February 2007, the day I qualify for my old age pension, on my snowboard! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Snowboarding falls are defintely worse than skiing while learning due to edge catch slam. When you get more advanced I'd say that skiing falls have the potential to be worse. I've ridden away from some pretty spectacular snowboarding falls including accidentally launching over a cat track (it was a white out at the time), and have found that you learn to roll so that you're not in that much danger whereas a bad ski fall can still trash your knee if its in the wrong plane. Plus you can ride away in many more circumstances on a board while its a right chore to climb up for a lost ski in some places.
snow report
Yes, I should have added that so far (...) the only fall which has resulted in significant injury was ski-ing in half a gale in the Cairngorms in 1986 - the usual torn ligaments. I make a point of watching expert snowboarders from chairlifts and have been impressed more than once with their ability to go with a fall and roll out of trouble. However, I did twist a knee quite badly getting off a chairlift, with only one foot clipped in, when the free end of the board dug in and the leverage gave my knee a bad twist. I feel a lot safer with both feet in the bindings (yes, I know, got to practice....). But I don't like the sound of those broken ankles. Thank you playdreamer, I have read your link and will try to be sure to put it into practice. I can see the theory....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had a skier mate who managed to stab himself in the back with the back of his skis leaving 2 pretty nasty looking cuts, I reckon that on average a skiing fall is not so bad but then it is actually more likely that a skiing fall could cause long term damage. snowboarding falls can have more impact especially for learners that dont know how to fall but skiing falls have greater potential for twisting, personally I am scared of twisting type injuries but a bruised rib or 2 doesn't worry me much.
ski holidays
dnc wrote:
face plants on snowboards are horrible, although the last one i did was strangely refreshing. coming down a blue run (im still afraid of reds) and really getting into the music a bit too much ("mindless self indulgence" in case you were interested) on the last day of my holiday, so i was pushing it a bit - and went into a turn with a mogul in it - i wasnt paying attention and caught my toe side edge into the mogul and just flipped. landed face first in the snow, rather dazed and wondering why i could only see white when i looked up. turned out my goggles had smashed open, filling them with snow. luckily my glasses inside were fine, and nothing else was hurt. apparently it looked "awsome" from my friends who were 50 meters behind me

the number of people that witness a spectacular stack is proportional to how long it hurts for.. a solo crash is just a waste of pain!
snow conditions
Yoda wrote:
I never fall on skis so it's hard to compare Laughing

Would you care to update your comparisons?
snow conditions
Quote:

a solo crash is just a waste of pain!

CANV CANVINGTON, Excellent !
latest report
I did a turn on my board and caught an edge, fell backwards and knocked myself out for 10 seconds and i wasn't going fast... I had blured vision for 10 mins afterwards! - next day I bought a helmet.
never had any problems since, don't ware helmet on ski's - you tent to fall in a different direction, skiers tend to have sholder injuries or knee problems. snowboarders have soar backside, head and I get ankle issues. anyone else get ankle issues?
snow report
no ankle issues for me but I have, on occassion, given myself blurred vision Sad definitely investing in a helmet this year! Falls are without a doubt worse on a snowboard, especially when you catch your front edge Confused
snow conditions
Quote:

anyone else get ankle issues?

I knackered my ankle in Feb but it was skiing. A forward twisting fall and bindings possibly too tight causing me to sprain all the ligaments round my ankle. I really don't know how my knee escaped injury, the force of the fall seemed to all go to my ankle.

Years back I also did a face plant on skis, the tip of the skis hitting me in the eye. My eye was saved by my sunglasses but I still ended up with 7 stitches, concussion and slight permanent eye damage.

snowHead
snow conditions
I broke my heal bone a few years ago when i was on my snowblades, stupidly went off the Big Air compition Ramp in the terrain park!!

the doctor in the resort said i would have been fine if i were on normal Ski's or a board because the impact of the landing sent a shock through my body! cracking my heal bone like pain of glass!

Reason 2 for learning to Snowboard.

Reason 1 being it looks much cooler! (sorry to all the skiers out there but im now a converted boarder).
latest report
Nothing beats the pain of cathing an edge boarding at high speed!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Yoda, what ? Very sneaky, hiding that comment away under SnowBoarding !
snow report
http://bestdanitykane.info/movies/28346
snow report
hi all!!

the worst fall i had as regards the amount of pain i had, was standing almost still!!

it was one of those white out days, and i was slowing up at the end of the run, looking for my mates and thinking i was stationary, faced up the hill........i was moving, however and caught the back edge..........ouch!!!

but snowboarding hurts more.........which makes me learn faster Laughing

now i'm 37, the injuries take longer to heal, so i don't want any!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy