Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights 07/08

Poster: A snowHead
I've been checking out all the budget airline websites daily and it looks as though our main dates next season are going to be costly (15th - 22nd March).

Here's my question - I've found an airline that does Chambery flights on those dates for £25 each way (seems v. cheap for Saturday flights) but the UK airport isn't very convenient for me, so do I buy now or wait until Easyjet, Jet2 etc. release their winter flights?

Does anyone ever get a really cheap flight with the big players on peak week saturdays? Puzzled
I'm such a cheapskate, that I refuse to pay over the odds. If I save the pennies we could probably have another week in low season.

Also, is Chambery easy to navigate in and out of, we've always flown to Geneva in the past (and got hopelessly lost!)?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marmalade, Chambery is just a small aiport, and not a huge city, so it must be easier than Geneva.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marmalade wrote:
I've been checking out all the budget airline websites daily and it looks as though our main dates next season are going to be costly (15th - 22nd March).

Here's my question - I've found an airline that does Chambery flights on those dates for £25 each way (seems v. cheap for Saturday flights) but the UK airport isn't very convenient for me, so do I buy now or wait until Easyjet, Jet2 etc. release their winter flights?

Does anyone ever get a really cheap flight with the big players on peak week saturdays? Puzzled
I'm such a cheapskate, that I refuse to pay over the odds. If I save the pennies we could probably have another week in low season.

Also, is Chambery easy to navigate in and out of, we've always flown to Geneva in the past (and got hopelessly lost!)?

What resort are you travelling to. Chamber is a s**t hole of an airport but quite convenient for a lot of resorts compared to Geneva and £25 each way is good. Where you going?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
marmalade, i have had two flights to chambery cancelled, beware if you are using globespan
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marmalade, Chambery is very easy to find and very convenient for the slopes, but it is a bad place to be delayed, and it is AFAIK a "Captains only" airport with an interesting approach. It is not unknown for visibility to stop all put the RJ100/BAE146 type planes to end up diverting to... Geneva. The drive from Chambery to Tignes/VDI etc etc is very simple.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother wrote:
marmalade, Chambery is very easy to find and very convenient for the slopes, but it is a bad place to be delayed, and it is AFAIK a "Captains only" airport with an interesting approach. It is not unknown for visibility to stop all put the RJ100/BAE146 type planes to end up diverting to... Geneva. The drive from Chambery to Tignes/VDI etc etc is very simple.

Now you remind me. The place is a magent for fog. 5 hours stuck there then a coach trip to Lyon not geneva...Its a one trick pony airport. If all works fine great, things go worng there is no get out clause or real back up. That aside if heading towards Tines, Les Arcs then takes about 1 1/4 hours of the drive.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother, the approach is very interesting, particularly in poor visibility. We were once diverted to Geneva,because of low cloud at Chambery, but were unable to leave the aircraft due to the large passenger volume in the terminal shed at Geneva.We were parked up for over an hour,and they opened the doors to let in some air. Eldest son , then about 10,went to the loo and on the way 'persuaded' the pilot to go back to Chambery and try again, which he did successfully, to a large round of applause.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chambey airport is complete chaos, too many flights, for such a small airport. There were 3 flights worth of luggage on one carousel.It was like watching wwe smackdown
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gwaelod, if it's a Saturday expect total chaos, unless you are the first flight in, and the last flight out. make sure the car hire desk will still be open when you arrive.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When our Chambery flight was diverted we ended up in Grenoble instead, probably not as bad as Geneva but still a pain in the a**e.

As already mentioned Chambery on a Sat in peak season is not a nice place to be, on the other hand get in on an early fligjht, head for 3Vs, Paradiski, Espace Killy etc and you can be on the snow by lunchtime Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
which site is the one you have discovered for Sat flights so cheap?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chambery, like Grenoble is fine every day except Saturday! If flying independently just DON'T DO SATURDAY and you'll be fine. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski wrote:
Chambery, like Grenoble is fine every day except Saturday! If flying independently just DON'T DO SATURDAY and you'll be fine. Very Happy

We have flown in and out on Sundays the last 2 years wiht Esprit and Sundays ain't much better. Hopefully a low carrier will pick up on Chambery soon and put a few more flights in during the week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all,

As we've not settled on a resort yet, it's not essential that we fly to Chambery. Based on your comments it would probably be better to stick with Geneva but that does limit the easy to reach resorts.

I considered Grenoble but not many budget airlines fly there from airports in the north of england. No-one's mentioned Lyon, could that be worth considering?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marmalade, it may be a better option than Chambery, although I have never flown into there myself. We usually use Geneva as there is normally a Ej flight to there from Newcaslte, although I think Jet2 fly into Chambery on a Saturday and Sunday. I'm hoping a Grenoble flight pops up, but we tend to go for two weeks at a time and drive down now.
latest report
marmalade, The Lyon charter shed - unless it has changed in the last 2 years - is even more unpleasant than being at Chambery. I would not give up on Chambery - but just be aware of its limitations - and check you were on a RJ100/BaE 146 rather than anything else. Geneva certainly has better shopping.
snow conditions
There is massive development at Lyon airport. I believe it will replace the infamous "shed". Anyone know when it will be finished?
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
marmalade, i have had two flights to chambery cancelled, beware if you are using globespan

Done 20 plus flights with Globespan and never had a problem.
snow report
Quote:

No-one's mentioned Lyon

Its a good BA route from LHR but they have dropped their BHX flight there, and it doesn't seem to interest the budget airlines sadly Sad . Much better road connections from the Tarentaise than GVA Smile
snow report
Martin Nicholas wrote:
Much better road connections from the Tarentaise than GVA Smile

The journey is a little bit more straightforward from Lyon compared to GVA, but it is a real pain getting to the car rental collection at Lyon. There's a long walk through the airport, then a shuttle bus to take you to the rental collection. I found this a real pain last year, especially when compared to Geneva where the car rental desks are directly outside the arrivals hall. You also get winter tyres as standard when hiring from (the Swiss side) of Geneva airport, so for me it's a better option than Lyon.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Martin Nicholas wrote:
Much better road connections from the Tarentaise than GVA Smile

The journey is a little bit more straightforward from Lyon compared to GVA, but it is a real pain getting to the car rental collection at Lyon. There's a long walk through the airport, then a shuttle bus to take you to the rental collection. I found this a real pain last year, especially when compared to Geneva where the car rental desks are directly outside the arrivals hall. You also get winter tyres as standard when hiring from (the Swiss side) of Geneva airport, so for me it's a better option than Lyon.

Rob would agree. Not tried Lyon but last year took first short break skiing and was amazed how easy it was getting car hire in Geneva. 2 minute walk to car. The road from Geneva over to the french motorway was very slow but I think a by pass of the bottle neck is due to open this year?
snow conditions
Getting to coaches at Lyon is also a pain at the moment with a long walk throught the terminal and then a good hike through car parks. Silver Ski have dumped Lyon in favour of Grenoble next year.
latest report
 brian
brian
gwaelod, the extension of the autoroute from Annecy to Geneva is due to open in December 2008.

Getting on the A1 to Lausanne otoh, is unbelievably easy. Out of the airport car park and you're on it. I did a hand luggage only through GVA last year and was on the motorway within about 20 minutes of the plane landing. Superb Very Happy

Last edited by brian on Mon 11-06-07 9:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
brian wrote:
gwaelod, the extension of the autoroute from Annecy to Geneva is due to open in December 2008.

2008 not 2007? Not till then. From what I read seems to have been going on for ages. Other mistake was arriving in Geneva at 5pm and hitting rush hour..........
snow report
gwaelod wrote:
The road from Geneva over to the french motorway was very slow but I think a by pass of the bottle neck is due to open this year?

I guess I must be lucky as I've never seen that road get very busy. A bit slow perhaps if I leave the airport during the weekday 'rush hour', but that doesn't add much more than 5 or 10 minutes to the journey. The Annecy-Geneva autoroute extension will be good to me, shaving about 25 minutes of the journey time to Les Arcs.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
gwaelod wrote:
The road from Geneva over to the french motorway was very slow but I think a by pass of the bottle neck is due to open this year?

I guess I must be lucky as I've never seen that road get very busy. A bit slow perhaps if I leave the airport during the weekday 'rush hour', but that doesn't add much more than 5 or 10 minutes to the journey. The Annecy-Geneva autoroute extension will be good to me, shaving about 25 minutes of the journey time to Les Arcs.

Do you take the motorway the whole way down then including tolls, go the back roads to avoid the tolls or the the lake road?
snow report
gwaelod wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
gwaelod wrote:

Do you take the motorway the whole way down then including tolls, go the back roads to avoid the tolls or the the lake road?

Normally the motorway until Annecy, then along the lake via Ugine and Albertville. There's not a lot of difference between that route and staying on the autoroute via Chambery, but I prefer the scenery along the lake Smile
latest report
rob@rar,
Quote:

The Annecy-Geneva autoroute extension will be good to me, shaving about 25 minutes of the journey time to Les Arcs.

I assume one will have to drive along the lake when this is complete?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marmalade, I'm not sure if anyone is asking where you are planning to go to. Chambery may be an easier airport to get out of, but if you're off to Wengen, it may not be as good an idea as Geneve.
snow report
 brian
brian
boredsurfin,

This map:

shows the line of the extension. At the moment between St Julien (the border) and Alonzier you have the choice of the N201 through the bottleneck town of Cruseilles or round the loop of the A41 autoroute. The new autoroute will take on the A41 number and the loop towards the A40 (and Chamonix) will become the A410. You'll come out on the same bit of autoroute north of Annecy and will still have the same choice to go through the town and along the lake or stick with the autoroute via Chambéry.
ski holidays
Just booked Geneva, better the devil you know (£28.99 return).

Don't know where we're going yet, maybe Avoriaz. We've tried most of the nearby resorts but not been to Avoriaz with kids yet.
latest report
marmalade wrote:

Don't know where we're going yet, maybe Avoriaz. We've tried most of the nearby resorts but not been to Avoriaz with kids yet.

For £28.99 return you can't go wrong (famous last words)
snow report
marmalade wrote:

where did you get that price from sounds good to me???
snow report
brian, Thanks for that, I was hoping to see some improvement through Annecy Confused
ski holidays
Quote:

where did you get that price from sounds good to me???

Jet2 website (Leeds Bradford to Geneva). Saved a few quid by flying out on a Friday rather than a Saturday. The saving should cover the cost of an extra night of accomodation.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy