Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1 Ski Instructor Course

Poster: A snowHead
elbrus, I think Hemel because of it's location will certainly take business from MK. A lot of people from London now slap up the M1 to MK. Hemel is 30 mins.
MK will still be popular for recreational skiing, which is what it is primarily aimed at.
Hemel is and will be a strong teaching centre.
MK is a big corporate, I doubt if they will change, when Hemel comes on stream.

Are you local to Hemel also?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderman, I live between Hemel and Wycombe. Used to use Wycombe. Have skied at MK but found the snow poor!! Have heard Hemel is good ( in terms of ski school) When its on line as snow I would use it. Where is the best centre to get instructor training ( I was an ASSI SSE)?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
elbrus,
Quote:

Where is the best centre to get instructor training

the Alps Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
elbrus, As skimottaret, says, or Hemel run Instructor Training on Tue nights in Summer and Thu nights all year round.
You say you was a SSE ASSI. have you let it lapse? We can revalidate it for you if neccessary.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, I was an SSE ASSI but left SSE as felt let down by them. Wanted to do the coaches award (ADC) hence interest in IVSI. Now looking at doing the BASI L1. Put BASI L1 in google on Sat and found this forum! Glad I did.

Hear mixed reports about the ADC. Goal posts moving on the outcome levels and delivery varied ( depends on whos the tutor).

When at Wycombe skied alot with AL now of Manchester and had training from PSG also.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
elbrus, BASI will soon deliver the coaches modules as well.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, well this is what I hear, although only in the performance strand ( racing)? I have someone close to BASI who says BASI may consider some kind of ADC ( development coach) also. If so then thats very positive. Rather do it through BASI that SSE.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
elbrus,
Quote:

. Now looking at doing the BASI L1.

Hemel have a L1 course in September & November.

We had 3 people who went in for SSE ADC, the skiing level seemed to move thoughout the course, only 1 of the 3 passed on their skiing. The bar has deffo been raised, compared to the existing ADC's.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
elbrus, I'd second Spyderman - veeeight's IVSI description is as I understand it too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman wrote:
The bar has deffo been raised, compared to the existing ADC's.

It was set at ISIA standard for the most recent assessment (as I understand it).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
david@mediacopy, In the opinion of a BASI ISIA & BASI ISTD that were on a recent SSE Development coach course, the level is below ISIA standard, but above the old level.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
well there is the problem! SSE dont have clear exit levels so its always on the change. I have skied in the past with ADC coaches and I would say they are around BASI instructor + level. There are the ADC at ISIA + level but they normaly also hold a BASI award. In the past quite a few BASI trainers held the ADC ( it was very credible) but it all got bent out of shape! I know ADC with IVSI who are good skiers, I know ADC with IVSI who would not pass the BASI ski instructor. So what is the level? I really wanted to do that award as it fits with what I hope to do in the future.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
elbrus, From talking to our SSE Coaches, including 1 that passed last year, I would say that the level was a good BASI Ski Instructor pass level, not ISIA level for sure.
Of the 2 wannabe Coaches that went on the course. They would not pass BASI Ski Instructor course. They will be Instuctors who have a skiing standard, well above their qualification level, as well as some who raised their game to pass the level, then sliipped back afterwards.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
david@mediacopy, where and when did the most recent assessment take place?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
elbrus, I thought it was last May (06) although there may have been an ADC course since then in the Alps. I don't think there has been an assessment since but I could be wrong.

Spyderman, My understanding (derived from several sources) is that ISIA is the desired 'technical' level required by SSE for IVSI.

SSE of course are the best people to confirm what they require.

edit to add 'SSE'

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 22-06-07 19:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Spyderman, think you are right, however, this would be a tall order for coaches who are not professionals. ISIA these days is a pro level ( you got to be doing seasons). SSE need to look at who will take this award. If you are at an ISIA level then you will go for an ISIA award?
snow report
Spyderman, think you are right, however, this would be a tall order for coaches who are not professionals. ISIA these days is a pro level ( you got to be doing seasons). SSE need to look at who will take this award. If you are at an ISIA level then you will go for an ISIA award?
snow conditions
Big BASI meet at Hemel today. BASI trainers + SSE and SSS tutors attending. Anyone got any details? I know the following attended: PK, DR, DTate, PSG and AL.
snow report
elbrus, I'll find out all of the news tomorrow
snow conditions
Spyderman, mmm I did my BASI Trainee Instructor a while ago but have yet to do my 70 hours shadowing .... do I just need to do 35 hours now before taking the new BASI level II ( was BASI Instructor ) ?

Also.. am I now a BASI Level 1 ( wheras yesterday I was just a Traineee Instructor)?

Also ... am I now an ASSI ? ( 35 hours and I've rarely skied on artificail notwithstanding of course ) ?
latest report
carrosa, As far as my current info goes. You are still a Trainee Instructor, not a L1. I will know more tonight and will post any new info.
ski holidays
carrosa,

After the 5 day Level 1 Instructor Training you need to do a minimum 35 hours snowsports work experience, plus a child protection course, plus 2 day first aid certificate course, to get your BASI Level 1 Instructor Certificate and Associate BASI Membership.

Then you need to do a further minimum 35 hours snowsports work experience, plus the 10 day Level 2 Instructor Training to get your BASI Level 2 Instructor Certificate and BASI Membership.

This is all out of my level 1 instructor workbook which I got on Saturday at the start of my course.

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
carrosa, AlpineWalker, is correct in what he says, but it does not deal with your case.
if you have taken the BASI trainee Instructor course and been signed off to go for Ski Instructor course after completion of 70 hours, this still stands, however as the trainee course had no assesment component, you would have to do a 1 day assesment, in order to convert your Trainee status into Level 1 status ( assuming you pass) with would then be validated once you have completed 35 hours experience, child protection module & first aid. You would then have to do another 35 hours in order to be able to enter the Level 2 course, assuming the trainer has recommended you.

If you are an existing ASSI, you can join BASI and have recognised ASSI status under the BASI system or you can attend a 1 day conversion assesment and become BASI Level 1, which then gives you access to the rest of the BASI system.

SSS are fully on board with BASI and so far half of the SSE Trainers. There will be another BASI/Home nation meeting set up in the North of England & Scotland shortly to cover the remaining Trainers.
ski holidays
Spyderman, AlpineWalker, Thanks for the clarification , much appreciated
snow conditions
BASI level 1 course is now running in MK. Started on friday with 7 candidates. All seems to be going well with new work book. Ends on Tuesday.
snow report
elbrus, is it at all different from the old SSS one?
snow conditions
seems the same but the order what you do on each day differs from SSS. You need to do 35 hours shadowing + a child protection module. technical standard is the same from what I gather ( linked , flowing parallel turns + good level of central theme)
snow report
elbrus, Are you actually on the course?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
no, was there skiing in the afternoon. Not very busy and snow quite good. Building work going on so manic and loud! Know someone on the course.
snow report
elbrus, P S-G is very good, your mate will learn a lot. Very Happy
snow report
How is this course run - evenings & weekends only or during the week?
ski holidays
course is 5 days ( although it can be ran over weekends). PSG + another tutor running course. I know PSG but not the other tutor.
ski holidays
elbrus,
Quote:

I know PSG but not the other tutor.

Probably Ali, Ski school Boss MK, SSS tutor.
snow report
It's interesting, I e-mailed and phoned MK and left a message about this course, but nobody got back to me. Now I hear it is running. I hope they do it again in the future, as I'd still be interested, even 'though I didn't get on it this time.
ski holidays
docsquid, I'll find out from P S-G when he is running the next one and let you know.
snow conditions
passed my level 1, hard work over the 5 days, but loads of fun, highly recommended Very Happy
snow report
AlpineWalker, where? At MK? Can you give us some details of the course?
latest report
course was run as a joint arrangement between Angus and Arbroath ski clubs at RM Condor dry slope

both clubs need to have more instructors available to train members, so brought in a Basi instructor to run the course
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy