Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Summer 2007

brian
brian
achilles, if you're hiring a car, Lyon or Chambery aren't much further than Grenoble given that the Grenoble airport is about half way between Grenoble and Lyon.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah! Could go to Lyon or Geneva. I take your point about Lyon being better - but the Luton departure for Geneva may allow other bits of the domestic jigsaw puzzle to fit more easily.

Haven't run this one past work, yet Toofy Grin
snow report
 brian
brian
easiski, I have given it a try. Couldn't get much edge from a pair of trail shoes though ...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've had to bin plans til at least Sunday - which will cause other complications (not to mention more expensive flights). Looks as though that little dream is dead. Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, that;s a shame. The first pic was last night at about 17.00 and the second shows the snow much lower, and was this morning at about 08.00 (the one with the low fog)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I forgot to say that it seems to have snowed down to about 1700m. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski,

Just above the village??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, it is. Unfortunately my scheme depended on Mrs a getting her act together - which I found out in turn depended on someone not contactable until Sunday. Hey ho. Nice pics.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnboy, Yes - off to see what it looks like higher up now. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fantastic day today. Clouds at 2,600 but the sun came out on the glacier. As per normal on a lovely day with fresh snow, the idiots came out to play and there was some sort of nasty accident involving quite a few people just at the side of the Puy Salie Sud lift. I don't know what happened, but there were a number of casualties, there were also 2 UCPA instructors hanging around....

I went up with a charming young man from the Haut Savoie skiing with the Grand Bornand club. He was highly amused by the peeps in jeans and summer jackets - it was pretty cold. first pic is of Rachas on the way up.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now - Grand Couloir anyone?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking down the Snowheads wall to the restaurant and the funicular station below
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mura looks almost skiable
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking across to the Snowheads Wall from 3,200. I skied it twice - it was powder in the middle where there had still been some snow, but the rocks were very close to the surface (to say nothing of scary looking crevasse holes at the top). My first turn nearly wasn't as my turning ski caught a rock and nearly tipped me up!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
this is the view that greeted me when I got to the top of the Puy Salie (3,400m) Very Happy
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
this could have been taken in the winter or spring - but I promise it was today! snowHead Cool

It's very unusual for me to travel the half hour up and then down again to do 2 runs on the glacier. However it was really nice and it was deffo worth it. Next to the half pipe the snow was fairly deep (for august) but a little windblown. The first time down I was working hard to do shorter turns and would have found it easier on the Zags. The second time though, I just let the skis carve down much faster and longer turns and the Fischers were fine doing this. I didn't go right out onto the wall the second time as the holes frightened me too much the first time - once is enough if you risk falling in a crevasse!! Shocked
snow conditions
easiski, I feel sick Sad - What a difference a day makes!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, would you please stop it wink , you are making me check out flight details, please, please stop it Very Happy
snow report
easiski, When does the Glacier close for skiing? Is it September 1st?
snow report
R32, Yes.

It was a very cold night, but today it's been hot and sunny and of course most of the snow has melted, however it still looks better than it did a couple of days ago. I brought my (near) beginner down from the nursery slope at 13.00 and the snow was truly excellent - wished I hadn't suggested it and had had a little ski down - Twisted Evil
snow conditions
hi there easiski

don't know whether this is really the place to ask, but you seem to visit (this thread) a lot:

heading off next season and shortlisting resorts for a group of mixed ability snowboarders and i'm thinking about LDA. just wondering - is there any tree line area or area good for low visibility? - the whole field looks quite high/exposed. will probably be late jan/early feb, maybe even a late booking to coincide with some freshies. snowHead

any other LDA advice would be appreciated.
latest report
rogg, The trees are only just above the village, so there isn't much there for less than very experienced snowboarders. The tree lined runs below the village are mostly red, and the 'interesting' paths are not good for snowboarders. Yes - high. Yesterday's pic was taken at about 14.15 fromt he restaurant at 3,200m looking up the glacier. The resort is at 1,650m with the main middling skiing starting at about 2,000m. If you want more info then please send me a Private message with more specific questions and I'll help all I can. I visit this thread regularly because it's my thread, and I live here. I consider it part of my job to take photos and post snow reports.

Not up today, but another cold night followed by another sunny warm day. Should have been a good re-freeze up there - long may it continue. Very Happy
snow report
yesterday was not good. No re-freeze and very soggy. I don't suppose it's been freezing last night. However it rained down here, so I hope there was snow up there. We'll see tomorrow.

Perhaps this is too much info from LDA?
snow conditions
easiski, now, now wink
snow conditions
easiski, take no notice of 'them' on the other thread, we need a daily fix. Please continue your great reports....more detail please....will only make them jealous wink Very Happy Very Happy.
snow report
easiski wrote:
........Perhaps this is too much info from LDA?

Not possible.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, R32, achilles, Very Happy Very Happy

It was a very nice day today, warm and sunny, but a serious re-freeze overnight, so firm conditions. The photo was taken at 12.15, and the piste on the left was white at 10.00. It's just daily wear and tear at this time of year. The snow on the nursery slope was actually running today so we were able to ski the kids on it all the time which was great. Having to get them down to the Dome Sud and back up again is a pain. What is quite amazing though is that they're still managing to keep the track from the restaurant down the the funicular open - I haven't seen that skiable since before the summer of 2003 from which we've (all European glaciers) never recovered. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
photo Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, This is a real anorak question about the glacier photo. Does the glacier end at the bottom of the runs or is the brown stuff just moraine trapped in the glacier?
ski holidays
http://uk.youtube.com/v/OIzKKh0o95k

Here's a bit of video from Sunday

Another short bit of people skiing at bottom

http://uk.youtube.com/v/XNZsGpL76y8

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 19-08-07 14:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
PisteHead, This particular part of the glacier ends on the mucky bit - as you say it's the moraine. However the glacier does go on to the left of the picture down the Roche Mantel and Signal pistes. We lost those for skiing this year around the third week of July IIRC, which is quite good actually. The bottom of the signal is the complete bottom of the glacier and is at around 2,900m or so.

D&M, Sorry to have missed you. Like the vid. Very Happy
snow report
It was another fabulous day today. Here are pix taken at about 10.00 of the Puy Salie and a great view of Mont Blanc in the distance. The snow was very hard first thing (well, not quite first thing), but the nursery slope was full of icy puddles so we went down to the Dome Sud and used the bottom of that lift (nice long flatish bit). The kids did brilliantly, and then got a ride down on a skidoo when the lift broke down and couldn't be repaired in time to get back to the nursery slope lift before it shut. (It's too far for little ones to walk from the top of Dome Sud to the funicular station).

I'm off to Jutta's wedding this afternoon - sorry all you guys who are half in love with her! Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, send the happy couple our congratulations.!!!
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, I'll post a pic tomorrow - just back - left the party in full swing, but I have work at 09.00 ....
latest report
Put in the wrong photo - sorry
snow conditions
Jutta, Ezekiel and Matteo coming out of the Mairie (Don't know what happened to Dylan).
ski holidays
A disappointing day today. The snow was fine, but it was a little windy and cloudy, so positively chilly. At one point it was trying to snow. cold enough for sure. Good from the point of view of achievement though. Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski, ok now I know. Signal starts of very wide then narrows to almost a point at the bottom by the chair lift, very cruisy and great for a 2 week skier like myself.
snow conditions
It was snowing quite hard today but no wind and not at all unpleasant. Nice snow, but not all that much settled yet. It got a bit damp at around 12.30, but was still more or less snow. Snow is forecase down as low as 2,200m tonight and tomorrow - I think we're going to have a very good end to the season. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
07.30 this morning from my balcony
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy