Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner Resort Wanted For Xmas 2007???

Poster: A snowHead
Where can I go if I am a beginner and want to go skiing around xmas time?

I want some lively nightlife too!!!

Cheers everyone!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
melaniedavies29, welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
melaniedavies29, welcome to snowHeads you don't want much from Santa do you Laughing

I have never skied at Xmas but there are plenty here who have.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think many of the Austrian resorts would fit the bill. Certainly, Austria is top for apres fun. You need to worry a little about the snow levels at Christmas. Last year was pretty disappointing, but the previous two had been fine to excellent. Might be a case for hanging on to see where the snow is.

Ski at Christmas is great.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You need to accept that you are taking a chance with the snow almost everywhere at Christmas. Are you going alone or with a friend, or with a group? Big money or heapo cheapo? Ever skied? Intend doing some work at one of the dry ski slopes first? Some of the places with reasonable chance of some good snow are either not so suitable for beginners (e.g. Chamonix, Val D'Isere) or not known for their lively nightlife (eg La Plagne). Some good Austrian places had lots of lovely snow at Christmas 2005 and SFA for Christmas 2006.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, quite so. And don't take too much notice of anyone saying "go high". Higher tends to mean rockier and you need much more snow to get a cover.

Wait and see where the snow is. There will be plenty of offers and lots of good advice on here.

snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never been there, but if the snow is good, Sauze d'Oulx might fit the bill, rom what I have read.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Rosiere
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would suggest Obergurgl, although the apres ski is more early evening than clubbing type fun.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Arcs has a good varied ski area which would be ok for beginers - pretty snowsure as well
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Rosiere didn't have a lively nightlife last time I was there (not that I would have been interested even if it had). But otherwise, actually quite a good idea. Best bet is to go to a chalet, with your mates, and make your own nightlife.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want a crazy nightlife with some good beginner stuff and some great tuition, you could try Mayrhofen. Went there a few Xmas's ago and it was awesome, staying in the Sporthotel Strasse, next to the main gondola, had bars that go all night (including a sound proofed nightclub and 24 hour bar). Lots of drunken Brits, Dutch and Germans (and quite a few Austrians). Oddly enough I was so knackered after skiing like mad all day that the nightlife passed me by! If the snow is rubbish you can get up to the Hintertux Glacier, but even with the supposedly rubbish conditions this year, there was still some to play in. Most the lifts are above 1800m, which is pretty high for Austria. Worth a look at least.

Hope it helps.

Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
melaniedavies29, Welcome to snowHead 's.

As a beginner it doesn't really matter. I am not being cruel or harsh, it is just that every resort has good nursery slopes that will be well pisted, whatever the conditions may be for the more experienced skiers. Night life is just as if not more important for beginners, if you or any of your party do not take to sliding you will have excellent fun in the bars.

I would consider anywhere in Austria or indeed as mentioned above Sauze D'Oulx.

We go away every Christmas, either France or Norway. Xmas eve is the big day in europe, fireworks etc. You are out on the slopes on Xmas day itself and it is no different to any other day on the mountain.

Have fun and book early as it is becoming more popular with the Brits and Irish market to go away this time of the year. It has always been high season for the "europeans".
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish wrote:
Might be a case for hanging on to see where the snow is. snowHead

Not sure that's a good idea at Christmas time. We had a hell of a time finding accomidations last Christmas/New Years, and I started looking in August.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ami in berlin, Ok I'm warned.

snowHead
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
You need to accept that you are taking a chance with the snow almost everywhere at Christmas. Are you going alone or with a friend, or with a group? Big money or heapo cheapo? Ever skied? Intend doing some work at one of the dry ski slopes first? Some of the places with reasonable chance of some good snow are either not so suitable for beginners (e.g. Chamonix, Val D'Isere) or not known for their lively nightlife (eg La Plagne). Some good Austrian places had lots of lovely snow at Christmas 2005 and SFA for Christmas 2006.

Don't know where this rep for not suitable for beginners comes from re Chamonix. There are IMO 2 of the most private beginner areas I've ever seen at Le Tour & Les Planards.
snow conditions
Chamonix nursery at resort level therefore not very snowsure for xmas fatbob.
latest report
Roy Hockley wrote:
As a beginner it doesn't really matter. I am not being cruel or harsh, it is just that every resort has good nursery slopes that will be well pisted, whatever the conditions may be for the more experienced skiers. Night life is just as if not more important for beginners, if you or any of your party do not take to sliding you will have excellent fun in the bars.

I agree, but would add that as a begineer the choice of ski school might have a bigger influence on the success of your holiday than any other factor. My recommendation would be to choose a good ski school rather than focus on other aspects of the resort (you'll get plenty of good tips here on snowHeads about ski schools).
snow conditions
Les Deux Alpes

Good ski schools / instructors, beginner slopes at a reasonable altitude, great gentle slopes at altitude, nightlife. Sorted.
snow conditions
I would even look at Tignes. Pretty good place really. Almost snowsure, as snowsure as any resort gets!

have been around that area for the last 2 Christmas's, although the snow wasn't the best, there was always snow and had a damn good time of it.

A bunch of us booked through Action outdoors / UCPA last year. Really good value for money. All your food, accommodation, lift passes, board/bindings/boots hire/ and instruction for about £380, all you need to do is sort your flights and transfers. The food was amazing, and the instructors are good for what ever level you might be..

Good luck..
latest report
If doing Tignes then aim for accommodation in Val Claret. Return runs to there are OK from all directions and suitable for a mixed ability group.

In Le Lac and Lavachet the only return back from the Val d'Isere side is a nasty black which is usually cut up and littered with bodies later in the day. Avoiding it involves a fairly lengthy detour up and down the opposite side of the valley starting from Val Claret.

Otherwise, as Seanoe says, its about as snowsure as you'll get.
snow report
Not to mention the night life. A good selection of bars and a couple of "clubs" are up there. There is also the transport that runs to the other villages pretty much all night. so easy enough to get home should you decide to ski/board down to one of these!

I stayed on the other side in Val D'Isere a couple of years back and that was also good, but think i prefer Tignes, it just has something cool about the place, just can't explain what it is!
snow report
Quote:

Les Deux Alpes

Good ski schools / instructors, beginner slopes at a reasonable altitude, great gentle slopes at altitude, nightlife. Sorted.

Spot on I'd say.
snow conditions
Annie, Totally agree!
ski holidays
melaniedavies29 wrote:
Where can I go if I am a beginner and want to go skiing around xmas time?

I want some lively nightlife too!!!

Cheers everyone!!!

La Grave. Twisted Evil
snow report
Kramer, La Grave.....she'll be in one if she goes there!! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
melaniedavies29, We have a chalet right in the centre of Alpe d'Huez. It's great for night life and there is easy access to a fantastic beginners ski area. We also give special discounts to Snowheads! Please get in touch if you would like more details snowHead
snow report
 brian
brian
Kramer, to be fair, 100% of the marked runs are easy blues. Little Angel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy