Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What would be bargain skis for me?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Agenterre, precisely.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm totally lost by some of the detail above but I bought my skis just over a year ago and at a similar standard to you, Megamum.

I read all the reveiws in 'Where to ski and snowboard' before choosing a pair that they highly recommended for my ability. I bought Scott Roadsters which I've used on 4 or 5 trips and I've been 100% happy with them. I've never seen anyone else using them but I'd really recommend them. I also love having my own skis as I don't have to get used to a different pair each time we go.

At £199 including bindings they've paid for themselves. My only regret is not getting slightly shorter ones as I'm 5'5" and I got 160's which are probably a bit too long for me.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SnowHot, the 5 stars I tried (unisex 161s) scared me silly, far too stiff! Which just goes to show that you really need to try before you buy. Megamum, I think the suggestion of going to one of the snowHead ski tests is by far the best - even if you decide to continue renting, you will understand in your gut (rather than just intellectually) that different skis simply ski differently and maybe give you an idea what you'd like to try next time.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
eng_ch, The Gamma 5* are a completely different feel. Definitely a softer ski.

But as you said, nothing beats testing/demoing skis.
I get resistance from women about testing skis all the time and I don't understand that because I think Demo Days are a blast.

My rule of thumb for demoing a ski is 3 runs. Gotta give a ski three runs to know how you feel on it. Then go on to the next ski no matter how much you like the one you're on. If you don't try different stuff, you'll never know.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I certainly like the sound of ski test days and have absolutely no resistance to the idea. Unfortunately I can't fit this summer's ones in, but I think its a brilliant idea to try before you buy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, I am new to the site but interested in the debate on burning luv vs one luv.

I ski salomon scrambler 8s 155 lenght (5'5 64kg). I spend all my time on piste pretty much ( competent reds and don't stuggle much with smooth blacks but lose some style) but will venture into powder occassionally.

I tried K2 miss d/one luv / BL at Xscape.

Hated the Miss D... they are ok and do everything but not that good on piste.

The one lluvs are really forgiving and very easy to ski. I loved the burning luvs. They initially felt the same as one Luv but after a few turns the speed took over!

Although they are not as soft flexing as one luvs I think they are more fun. One Luv kind of felt a bit uninspiring... This said I do want to improve my off piste and am a bit worried that with 68mm waist they are going to be really hard work.

Has anyone tried the lotta luvs... they have 78mm waist but I think they may be poor on piste!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I sound as though I'm at a similar experience level to you megamum, I can paralell turns but if it gets a bnit steep and tricky the snowplough comes back into play, however i have my own ski's. I never even considered the whole service, cariage versus rental cots to be honest as my first pair of ski's were bought for about £30 inc bindings in Andorra about 8 years ago. However after a break of 5 years, changes in weight etc etc. i found i was struggling with them and my confidence dropped so as we had a bit of spare cash hubby agreed for me to buy some new ones. As we live an hour form the scottish ski resorts it does kind of make sense really to have my own ski's. I have got the K2 true luvs and they are amazing. I took them to braehead last weekend and the amount of confidence they gave me was just out of this world. after doing one run from halfway i was straight to the top without a care in the world and where as normally i would be traversing the whole width of the slope i was putting in nice quick turns, okay so my technique is still crap and i am desperatly in need of some more lessons again but at least i feel i can progress now.

However do take the advice of people on here as i did. i went in a couple of shops and as i'm quite short i needed the K2 in a 146 and no-one seemed to have any. One shop tried to tell me the 153would be fine but i knew myself it was too big for my level and when i said i didn't want that they tried to sell me a lovely atomic ski, bt when i came home and researched it it was for agressive advanced fast skier's, certainly not me Shocked also a few people tried to tell me to get something i could grow into so as i advanced i wouldn't need to buy new, but i didn't want to overski myself so went for the true luv.

I'm just anchoring for some better conditions up at the glenshee and lecht now and hopefully a cheapy week in april cos i am so keen to get out with my new ski's more than i have ever been before.

All in all i love having my own ski's, being able to get used to them, not having to put up with hevaier rental bindings and being able to stroke them in the hallway as i pass them cos they are sooo pretty Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy