Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

boarders, skiers and poles?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just been looking at the 'post some stoke' pictures and was struck by a thought - then I couldn't work out where to post it. I thought if I posted on the boarding thread I'd be liable to get told to get lost so ended up here on the Piste.

Skiers on two planks use two ski poles, skiers on monoskis (from what I've seen of their use) use two ski poles, boarders don't use any ski poles - I was wondering why? From what I've seen of boarders and the way they use their edges I can't see why what they do and how they do it would necessarily preclude the use of ski poles - why aren't they used. I will say now that I've never boarded so I could easily be missing something vital here. I can see that the angle of the feet on the board is fixed in one direction, but the upper body can swivel so I would think poles could be deployed on either side of the board.

Many apologies if most of you think this is another witless observation.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I thought if I posted on the boarding thread I'd be liable to get told to get lost so ended up here on the Piste.

Megamum, you're sooo.. right! Skullie
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blade, I thought so........However, the more I think about it the more I feel that if I ever tried boarding it would feel safer/easier with ski poles. At least it would give boarders some way of manouvering without taking off the board on flatter sections.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The simple answer is that when boarding "properly" your arms are aligned tip & tail of the board rather than either side so they would actually imbalance what is regarded as good technique (not necessarily taught by all European ski schools).

Secondly have you ever tried poling on flats without a skating motion - you don't get far fast.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

the upper body can swivel

But shouldn't. If you think about the mechanics of this for about three seconds it will become very obvious why poles are irrelevant to a boarder. (Unless used for hitching a tow from your skiing mates.)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

(Unless used for hitching a tow from your skiing mates.)

yes, I sometimes tow my son on flatter sections, and have been known to give a tow to unknown forlorn looking boarders I pass on the piste back down to our apartments, which has a flat beginning section. My son used to "borrow" a pole in chairlift queues sometimes, when he was a beginner, but he doesn't bother now. A better question than asking why boarders DON'T use poles is asking why so many skiers, who patently do nothing even remotely useful with them, DO. I sometimes try to persuade beginners skiing with us to let me carry their poles for a bit, to stop them clutching them with all their might, held tight to the chest, like a security blanket. It's comical how naked people feel without them. Bladers do fine without them. Skiers don't really need them except for certain kinds of highly technical, advanced, turns which most of us can't do anyway. People say they help provide a rhythm - but good boarders and bladers seem to have plenty of rhythm without them (and who needs poles to dance?). As for shoving yourself along on the flat, skating is the answer, and good skiers can skate without poles. I recall seeing an ESF instructor skating uphill with both arms full of a huge pile of slalom markers. For the rest of us, it's good practice to do without them and use weight shifting and edges instead. Poles are a huge irrelevance most of the time, for most skiers (including me); just a habit, and a lazy one. They are one more thing to lose, one more source of clutter. Being without them is one of the good reasons for snowboarding especially for people like me with quite painful arthritic hands.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, without wishing to engender (again) the pole/nopole argument, poles are a great help at more technical levels - esp. bumps and steeps.

And they help with timing/turn initiation rather than rhythm, if I was to be pedantic. I guess it makes sense to introduce them early.

"Modern" skis make turn initiation easier and poles less essential in "easy" conditions - so if you find them literally painful you might be able to get away without them. You might find that hinders any technique development that you might be looking for tho...

I would also comment that I know quite a few skiers whose technique is held back by incorrect pole use.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

poles are a great help at more technical levels - esp. bumps and steeps.

Yes, no problem with that. But for the vast majority of holiday skiers, who are never going to ski at anything like your level, they are an irrelevance. For people who are seem really worried by descending even the easiest piste without them (not steeps and bumps) getting rid of their poles for a week, or even a day, or even a coupla runs, would be a revelation. There's certainly no reason for wishing them on snowboarders and I think it's important for skiers at the beginning of their careers to realise that poles might make life easier in the lift queue, or leaning on to put skis on or off, but are not necessary for salvation.
Quote:

I know quite a few skiers whose technique is held back by incorrect pole use.

Yes again, and I bet there are more skiers held back by incorrect pole use than there are making accurate use of them for advanced technical turns. Once that incorrect use is acquired at an early stage it's very difficult to shake (I should know, I spent a whole lesson with Dave Peek not quite getting it right!) and it's painful sitting at the top of a nursery slope watching people trying to use them as brakes. Kids learn without (if only to stop them poking each others eyes out).

This thread started by asking "why don't boarders use poles". Leaving aside the highly technical end of the ski spectrum, and focussing instead on the early stages, I still think a much better question is "why do all those people fanny around doing nothing useful, and quite a lot of positively unhelpful, things with those sticks?" Megamum, if you haven't tried them already, try a day on snowblades, with no sticks (and preferably with some good rhythmic music on your MP3 player). I promise you wouldn't turn into a yob overnight.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamom -- It sounds like you are slowly coming round to my way of thinking and will soon ditch two planks for one tray wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Completely agree. I have come from boarding through blades to skis and only recently got a pair of poles for Christmas. I was previously skiing on 150s quite happily without them.

In favour of poles is balance in lift queues and getting myself up if I tumble in the powder.
The negatives are a little bit less convenience on the lifts but overall I would always use them.

Would they be useful to a boarder? The positives for me as a skier would also apply to a boarder, particularly the getting up in powder where the slope is a bit too flat.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't see the point of poles full stop, maybe if skiers stopped using poles altogether then they wouldn't clog up the flat sections and stop boarders gunning through them.
Boarders don't need them because as you progress you learn the skippy walk thing, bouncing from tail to nose, using the boards flex to move along. I rarely take my board off.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stab, ah yes, that dead efficient skippy walk thing that gets you uphill so fast?

pam w, sure, I agree, - I suspect that there is a default "you will need poles later and so start using them now" legacy (or even just a "we used them so you should too") one lurking in many cases. The nice thing these days is that there are so many ways to slide that they're not necessary for many peeps.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch wrote:
stab, ah yes, that dead efficient skippy walk thing that gets you uphill so fast?

if you do it right then it's the same as walking, doesn't need any more effort and considerably less effort than the retards poling up hills without skating as well.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you can't use a pole, you can't do this..............

snow conditions
Megamum, the answer to your question was given by fatbob. Everything else is a digression.
snow conditions
laundryman, You're right of course, but this lot like talking about poles. I must admit though that I don't think I've tried using much of skating action when moving on my skis. I can walk up the hill with lots of little parallel sideways steps, or by making a reverse snowplough and walking up. I can skate though - it hadn't occured to me to 'skate' on my skis - it certainly sounds as though its do-able - I shall have to try it I might be making things difficult for myself by not doing so.
snow conditions
ever thought what it would be like spilling whilst on a board with two rediculous spikey poles strapped to your wrists wink you would have someones eye out wink one pole is safer wink

Yes, best keep these questions well away from the boarders section
snow report
The real reason for poles is so skiers can put them on thier heads in a comedy 'V' shape, for those classic photo opportunities. Very Happy
ski holidays
They are the brakes aren't they? Puzzled
snow report
you need them to take off the skis too Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops, I just step on the backs of my bindings, which is much easier and quicker, but the poles can help to hold you up when you do it!
ski holidays
JT, that would be very cool; if you were riding switch.

Or just levitating.
snow report
Quote:

I think it's important for skiers at the beginning of their careers to realise that poles might make life easier in the lift queue, or leaning on to put skis on or off, but are not necessary for salvation.

pam w, you missed the most important use of poles for beginer skiers!!! Wink

Getting back up on a board after falling down are easy. You just push off the snow. Getting back up after falling on skis are HARD for beginers, even WITH poles. Most of us "intermediate" skiers had forgotten how much we rely on poles to get back up after the fall. Try it the next time you're on snow, especially on the beginer slope. The flatter the slope, the harder it is to push yourself back up.

Without poles, only the skinny and fit can EVER learn to ski, for the rest of them they'll be sprawling on the snow till next spring! ;Sad
snow report
pam w, next time you are skiing try getting the skis off without the assitance of poles (just as if you had dropped them of the chair lift wink ), paricularly in a confine space Very Happy, and as you are a boarder too try boarding with them Very Happy Interesting to see how you get on snowHead
snow report
Quote:

Try it the next time you're on snow, especially on the beginer slope.

Yes, good point. But if I am skiing with beginners who fall on flattish slopes, I pull them up, and they can do the same for me if I fall. If I see someone struggling to get up I often stop and help them, actually, because I appreciate from first hand experience how hard it is. That's me, all heart. I wouldn't ski past someone who seemed to be beached, without any companions to help them. I do use poles (crossed) for getting up in powder, and it would be difficult without them. It's exhausting, even with them, I'm pretty useless in powder.

Quote:

try getting the skis off without the assitance of poles (just as if you had dropped them of the chair lift ), paricularly in a confine space

why would you ever need to get your skis off in a confined space? How do you even get into a confined space wih skis on? I certainly have no problem getting them off without poles normally, it's the way I usually do it.
snow report
pam w wrote:
But if I am skiing with beginners who fall on flattish slopes, I pull them up, and they can do the same for me if I fall. If I see someone struggling to get up I often stop and help them, actually, because I appreciate from first hand experience how hard it is. That's me, all heart. I wouldn't ski past someone who seemed to be beached, without any companions to help them.

But you wouldn't see too many boarders sprawling on the snow needing a pull up. That's why skiers, even beginers, need poles.

In fact, it's the intermediate skiers who often find poles useless distractions. Because they no longer need poles to get up, at least not on most slopes. Nor do they see the need of poles for actual skiing on groomers, either.

Of course, by the time they get into moguls and off-piste, poles become essential again, least of which as a make shift platform to push off from! Wink

come to think of it, how do boarders get up from deep powder? Or do they not dare to fall?
snow report
How I relate to these comments about getting beached!! rolling eyes I get beached on my beginners slope even with poles - its the most embrassing thing about being a beginner. I know the theory of getting back up, but I'm hopeless at it, and no I'm afraid I'm not thin and skinny!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, Same here. It is easy to stand up on a steep slope, but if it is flat i always pop a ski off to stand up. Embarassed
ski holidays
[quote="abc"]
pam w wrote:

come to think of it, how do boarders get up from deep powder? Or do they not dare to fall?

With difficulty which is why its better to go steep & deep. Can involve unstrapping then belly flopping/crawling onto board, then strapping in if the terrain is too flat.

Still beats diggng for a lost ski/pole wink
latest report
Yep getting up on a board on a flat powder slope is harder than on skis. Least of all because you have much more chance of falling over again once you get there. You don't really want to unclip because of clearing all the snow of your boot before getting back in. Or is that not an issue with normal strap bindings?
snow conditions
fatbob, not, it wasn't me, but a good question all the same. I'll be sticking to the piste for a while.
Quote:

no I'm afraid I'm not thin and skinny!

it's more about having some working muscles, than how thin you are. I have an extremely overweight niece who manages fine, because she's quite sporty and has good muscle tone, despite the blubber. One of the many reasons to get strong before the season!
snow conditions
Quote:

It is easy to stand up on a steep slope, but if it is flat i always pop a ski off to stand up

It's not easy to pop the binding off without poles! Especially while you're sitting down on it...Wink
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Oh, that makes me feel a whole lot better Toofy Grin - this year I resorted to popping a ski off too - it was the quickest way of getting upright Embarassed Mind you as abc, says I need the poles - my binding are tight and I can't pop them off without poles whilst on the deck.
snow report
abc wrote:

I will pass on one solid piece of advice.

Boarders who fall in powder should a: hang there heads in shame and b: using your fist keep punching a hole in the snow and pack it with snow so you can push yourself back up.
snow conditions
pam w, busy chair lift que Very Happy
ski holidays
I usually have two sets of poles. My own and the ones my son THOUGHT he wanted when we started out. Now two sets really are useless. Little Angel
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

the upper body can swivel

But shouldn't. If you think about the mechanics of this for about three seconds it will become very obvious why poles are irrelevant to a boarder. (Unless used for hitching a tow from your skiing mates.)

Also useful for hitting boarders on the way past, that try and pass too close to you Wink
snow report
abc wrote:

As others have said option b. However, we've all done it at some point I was fortunately about 10m from a piste so swam for it, it was bloody knackering and took ages. If it's deep make sure it's steep.
ski holidays
rayscoops, if you wanted to get out of your skis in a lift queue you could always borrow a pole, or ask someone else to bang your first binding down. Make new friends that way! Though I don't often find myself wanting to take my skis off in a busy chairlift queue. Come to think of it, I make a point of avoiding queues. Life's too short. We come home for the French school holidays. I do actually normally use poles, but several of the younger generation we ski with regularly do not, having been bladers in the past and not seeing the point. It's very useful when things need carrying - loaves of bread, bottles of champagne, my son's broken ski etc. My only point was, initially, that it is often far better for beginner and early intermediate skiers to go without poles. Unless they are skiing alone, which is probably not a great idea anyway, they don't need to worry about how to get up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy