Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Centre in Swansea

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All. Great forum
Just wanted to share the news that Swansea Council have just announced the building of an Indoor ski centre on the outskirts of the city. I am really pleased. Three years to build it but still great news Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mogs, welcome to snowHeads, especially with good news like that. Any details on how big the new indoor slope will be?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mogs, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Good news, but why 3 years to build it?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, from the news:
WINTER SPORTS CENTRE MAY BRING 500 JOBS
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I will have to learn now to post links here quickly I think. Thanks for posting it kerekip. As you can see the old dry slope is derelict and has been for a number of years. The new project is massive for the area. Indoor skiing, ice rink, hotel and spa. And a possible 500 jobs!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mogs, You must meet our Rayscoops , he'll even promise to scrape everything off for you wink

rob@rar, I knew you were one of God's chosen (Welsh), but didn't appreciate you were a 'Jack' rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agenterre, scrape everything off for me? Is this a good thing? Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swansea has been going downhill for years Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mogs, No , he's a Boarder !

Whitegold, Following me perhaps? Just keep posting and the "polizei'' will know where you are ! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre wrote:
rob@rar, I knew you were one of God's chosen (Welsh), but didn't appreciate you were a 'Jack' rolling eyes

What's a 'Jack'? Sorry for my ignorance!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, All Swansea People are known as Jacks. Or Swansea Jacks to give it the full term. There are conflicting stories as to how we got we the name
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=17158

Looks like you won't have to wait the whole 3 years for snow. The Council vote to give it the go ahead next Thursday 7th June. Heres hoping from a Cardiff person.

If this gets built then it may keep the Jacks busy so they stop stealing cars and in breeding Embarassed Embarassed rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mogs wrote:
rob@rar, All Swansea People are known as Jacks. Or Swansea Jacks to give it the full term. There are conflicting stories as to how we got we the name

Conflicting stories , yes, but not unusual when 'Jacks' are involved .

Rob - Many belive it is a reference to Swansea's heritage ( Jack Tars )... in the same way as Mogs is sometimes seen as a diminutive of 'Morgan' Little Angel snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre wrote:
Mogs wrote:

Conflicting stories , yes, but not unusual when 'Jacks' are involved .

Rob - Many belive it is a reference to Swansea's heritage ( Jack Tars )... in the same way as Mogs is sometimes seen as a diminutive of 'Morgan' Little Angel snowHead

In which case, no I'm not a Jack. More of a Taff (as I come from Merthyr) Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gwaelod wrote:
If this gets built then it may keep the Jacks busy so they stop stealing cars and in breeding
:

Ah the age old Cardiff/Swansea rivalry kicks in NehNeh rolling eyes Very Happy
ski holidays
Mogs, Well I'm with rob@rar, on this ; no affiliation to either English enclave !!

[DUCKS]
latest report
Agenterre wrote:
Rob - Many belive it is a reference to Swansea's heritage ( Jack Tars )...

Agenterre, Good to see you quoting what I believe is the correct reason we are called Swansea Jacks Smile
snow report
I thought everyone knew that only us Gogs are truly Welsh anyway?
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:
Mogs, Well I'm with rob@rar, on this ; no affiliation to either English enclave !!

[DUCKS]

Laughing
ski holidays
Roger C wrote:
I thought everyone knew that only us Gogs are truly Welsh anyway?

Thought the Gogs wuz all displaced Scousers Blush
ski holidays
some where but others headed for the hills and managed to escape!
latest report
Sorry to but into the friendly banter but does anyone have any idea how long the proposed slope will be?

I'm hoping not another 100 odd metre slope!
snow report
looking at the picture, it is being built on the old dry slope, so unless they are going to extend it by means of building a huge shed it will probably be as existing length of hill, which is not too long, I will see if I can get some more details. No idea how they will finance it and I am amazed that I have not seen more on it.

Good location though on edge of city centre, on an 'enterprise zone' near the footy stadium and just off the M4, and about one mile from my work. Lunch times sorted though Very Happy

oh yea, Jacks named after a dog called Jack who saved loads of lives by dragging people out of the sea, statue of dog on sea front Very Happy
snow report
Long way off, just at the lets have an agreement in principal stage. The deal will have to go through the normal planning process and the retail/hotel development will be tagged on to it. I will ferret around some more Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm a "Jack " as well . didnt know there were so many of us on here.
Named after the dog "Swansea Jack" statue on the prom. by St. Helens.
ski holidays
This is from Wikipedia:
Quote:
People from Swansea are known locally as Swansea Jacks, or just Jacks. The source of this nickname is not clear. Some attribute it to Swansea Jack, the life-saving dog. Others point to Swansea's history as a port and the use of the word jack to indicate a sailor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swansea
snow conditions
alternatively http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Swansea
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
looking at the picture, it is being built on the old dry slope, so unless they are going to extend it by means of building a huge shed it will probably be as existing length of hill, which is not too long, I will see if I can get some more details.

Thanks, from what I can see the old slope was 150 metres so if that took up the length of the 'hill' (sounds more like a bump!) it'll be no longer than that, but if they're building insulated walls and all the rest of it I guess it may even be shorter. I'll be interested to see what is actually proposed but on the basis of this it's no great shakes - what we need IMHO is something more like the Snowdonia proposals where they're talking in terms of about 500 metres, likewise with Snoasis. The problem at the moment IMHO is all the indoor slopes in the UK are far, far too short although they do have their uses and can be fun for the occasional slide. To get me even considering staying for a weekender though they'd have to offer something far longer for starters and a lot more besides (again like the two proposals I've mentioned above).
Quote:
No idea how they will finance it and I am amazed that I have not seen more on it.

Yeah, this seems to have appeared almost out of the blue but then I'd never heard anything about the Snowdonia one until a week or two ago!
Quote:
Good location though on edge of city centre, on an 'enterprise zone' near the footy stadium and just off the M4, and about one mile from my work. Lunch times sorted though Very Happy

LOL, I can see the attraction when you're that close but locals won't be filling their hotel places I'd hazard. Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre wrote:

Whitegold, Following me perhaps? Just keep posting and the "polizei'' will know where you are ! Toofy Grin

Please explain precisely what this means.
snow report
roga, I meant good location for me Very Happy but it is only an hour or so from Bristol wink

A lot of hotels have already been built in the area so I do not know who will be using these hotels, not skiers anyway.

Just had a huge joint rant with my boss about the Peoples Republic City of Swansea Council planning department, which we have to deal with as property developers, so I am not going to get too carried away with this scheme.
ski holidays
The press release states there will be panoramic views over Swansea and the bay from the hotel at the top of the slope. For this to be achieved it will have a great deal higher than the current slope. Also, reading into the technology planned (first of its kind in the world) I cannot see it being that short a slope. From what I can see there is a huge plot of land behind the slope which will probably be utilised. Hopefully we will find out more on Thursday.
latest report
From Auntie Beeb today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/6712157.stm
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
roga, I meant good location for me Very Happy but it is only an hour or so from Bristol wink

A lot of hotels have already been built in the area so I do not know who will be using these hotels, not skiers anyway.

Just had a huge joint rant with my boss about the Peoples Republic City of Swansea Council planning department, which we have to deal with as property developers, so I am not going to get too carried away with this scheme.

Hour from Bristol to swansea. rolling eyes be warned lots of speed cameras between cardiff and swansea
snow conditions
Sounds very interesting.

To quote the BBC News article: "Unlike other indoor ski centres which need very low temperatures, the technology we use will enable skiers to ski in shirt sleeves, while maintaining snow on the slope"

So does anyone know what technology that is?

Jon.
snow conditions
jonm, I have been down Wind Street on a Saturday night in December and all the blokes were in shirt sleeves. Perhaps the technology is getting hardy chaps from the Valleys to ski there? wink

Mrs Stoatsbrother is Swansea born - and we go back there - this all sounds like good news.
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:

Yeah good for locals for sure Smile

I think it's longer than an hour though - I've done it in the past and Multimap puts it at an hour and a half.
Quote:

I dunno, I'd presume the idea would be to get weekenders at the slope.
Quote:

Ah, as with all councils it's probably best not to hold your breath eh!
dan100 wrote:
Hour from Bristol to swansea. rolling eyes be warned lots of speed cameras between cardiff and swansea

I've done it a few times but I don't recall that many cameras - are there new ones?
ski holidays
roga wrote:
rayscoops wrote:

Yeah good for locals for sure Smile

I think it's longer than an hour though - I've done it in the past and Multimap puts it at an hour and a half.
Quote:

I dunno, I'd presume the idea would be to get weekenders at the slope.
Quote:

Ah, as with all councils it's probably best not to hold your breath eh!
dan100 wrote:

I've done it a few times but I don't recall that many cameras - are there new ones?

the police have a very bad habit of mobile cameras on top of the bridges around bridgend. very regular
ski holidays
dan100, very regular as in all the time, near Pencoed.
ski holidays
Just heard on the radio that the agreement between the Council and the developer was signed at the Council meeting this afternoon Very Happy I haven's seen an official press release yet but i don't think the meeting finished until around 6pm. They will probably release something on their web site in the morning
ski holidays
^ Goodo, now they have to do the hard bit and build the thing!

It'd be good to actually see some plans and full details of what's being built though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy