Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Techy kit at bargain basement prices?

Poster: A snowHead
Inspired by the Trepass thread what's the most tech you've got for your £ in vaguely outdoor related kit.

Bargains from SAC? An end of season snaffle? Good as new skis salvaged from a skip or charity shop?

I got a snowboard once free with a second hand pair of boots I was buying and used it for in excess of 60 days I reckon.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i thought i'd done pretty well on those smith goggles (effectively free cos I bought three pairs on SAC and flogged 2 for what I paid for all 3) until I lost them after 3 days' use Mad

and you got a total bargain on a pair of Atomic Powder Cruise skis, I reckon wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Half price board and bindings at the end of last season - board off the interweb and bindings from out-of-resort shop.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno wrote:

and you got a total bargain on a pair of Atomic Powder Cruise skis, I reckon wink

Fair dos and I still owe you a beer plus some cash for that exquisite boutique hotel we stayed in at Lyons IIRC. Ski are still in my garage pending binding adjustment. Quite tempted by rungsp's homemade rocker experiement too. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Less then Half price Killy ski pants - paid £60 in the Blacks store in Manchester (I think? opposite what was the YHA shop), plus £20 parking ticket as I was illegaly parked, from a retail price of over £160. This was in July 2002. Worn them every skiing day since then. vey comfortable, warm in cold conditions, not too hot when it's a spring skiing day (20 deg c when we skiied Tignes on the first EOSB!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last March I got some 1/2 price Rossi Zenith Z5's with Axial 120 bindings - great until the ski brake on one of the bindings broke at the end of last season.
Still £40 for a full service and 2 new ski brakes isn't too bad (first base grind after 30 days skiing in Scotland Cool )

I now have a spare brake just in case the other one decides it's had enough rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, i'd be a bit careful trying to bend them. I think rungsp did his work on powder pluses which are a sandwich construcion. the powder cruises are cap construction and bending them might cause them to delaminate
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Race department GS skis and race bindings from Bilek for less than £200 Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, Fair point hadn't got far enough down the thought process to check on the cap point but now you mention it I don't see much of a sidewall.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A "Last Season's" Killy jacket from an Austrian ski shop for £65 Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My notorious first post - Killy jacket £7 in the charity shop!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I drink with a guy who works for the UK distributor for K2.....guess what I ski on? And you'd probably be horrified at the price....and if anyone is in the market for some cheap fishing tackle....? wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A Paklte XCR jacket for £130 ...it is so good and light that I can sell my Eider XCR..which has been my banker before this

Or my Sei bass which I had handmade for £1600...a few years ago now when the US equivalents were going for £3000 plus. The finish on mine walks all over the Ken Smiths, Fodera, etc
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maeir Sports Symmpatex lightweight jacket. £25 from TKMAXX. Very large and a very hideous colour, but a great jacket for next to nowt.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Smith sunglasses with interchangeable lenses lost in the snow outside Oxyalis 3 seasons ago replaced by Smith free of charge including another set of lenses Very Happy
ski holidays
I once got a good deal on an Orange Vitamin T (mountain bike) with disc brakes, just after discs became popular.

Took off the discs and sold the bike for more than I'd given for it, discs went onto my Pace and I've used them ever since.

Last season I bought the wife a pair of Salomon Thrusters from one seller and a pair of Rossi 120 bindings from another on ebay. Both brand new, so skis for £120 once the bindings were mounted.
latest report
My faves:

1988; Volkl Renntigers - £80 (I think list would have been ~£200? - bought from Olympus Sport (!) in Glasgow: cheap because the tech had drilled two mismatched skis, only difference being graphics. But original client had rejected. I should have asked for the "other" pair too.

1992; SOS Pants (in a most fetching lime green) £30 (list £80?) - ski sale in Kelvin Hall Glasgow.

1995; 215 Blizzard SG skis with rental "race" bindings. A hoot to ski on (admittedly only 2 runs) but about £30 from LSSRA sale and the bindings ended up on two pairs of skis and are still in the garage. No idea where the skis ended up.
latest report
My Huber electronic binding torque testing machine has a new price of over £3000. Mosha Marc spotted it last year on ebay & tipped me off - I was the only bidder got it for 99p Shocked. Cost me £40 for the factory rep to check it & issue a calibration certificate.

And have just bought an Arc'teryx Sidewinder SV jacket online from EB's for £160 off the £400 list price. Tried one on in EB's Castleford last week & it was £320 in the sale but was still too rich for me. Deb spotted it tonight on their online shop for £240 which is a crackin' price for what is generally considered to be the best hard shell on the market. Hopefully it's not 'ghost stock' & the deal comes through.

Now just need to change my username rolling eyes
snow report
spyderjon, I think your torque testing machine must be the winner here so far - what a bargin!!
ski holidays
mr rpft got a brand new nordic ski machine for 99p at a farm sale near hear - all the other buyers were looking for potato harvesters Laughing
latest report
spyderjon,

Not sure about it being the best hardshell even though the great price makes it great value for money.
But since the local canadian makers sold out to the High st gang and now get it manufactured in the Pacific Rim, I hope they don't go the same way as NF. I'd give them another two years.
snow report
spyderjon, I don't think "arc'teryxjon" has quite the same ring to it.
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
spyderjon, I don't think "arc'teryxjon" has quite the same ring to it.

That's what I thought. And my new jacket isn't orange either rolling eyes

JT, I hope so too. I think it was Addidas who bought Arc'teryx(?) but they said at the time that products would remain Canadian designed & at the high-end techncal/performance end of the market.

My 03/04 Spyder Venom hardshell jacket has been superb but it's getting a bit worn after 13/14 weeks use & I've been looking for a replacement for a while. Many of the Epic guys at ESA last year had Arc'teryx (inc our own Foxy) & said how good they were. My Spyder is actually a far better design than my new Arc'teryx although the fabric is not as high a spec. Unfortunately Spyder don't make it anymore & don't really offer a decent hardshell - & their insulated jackets are way too warm & overpriced. I find it a real pi$$er when a manufacturer makes cracking product & then the marketing boys keep tweaking it so a few years later the same model is actually totally different from the original one rolling eyes
snow report
spyderjon,

I am a big fan of Paklite XCR and I believe that Gore puts out new fabrics and then licences them to manufacturers so all new Jackets will get their latest fabric update. I find XCR 410 too heavy..especially against the Paklite which I can run with a microfleece and midlayer. I 'tested' this down to about -20 in Le Grave with a howling wind... and I mean howling, so it works for me. I mention this because I know you 'run hot'. I would imagine the Sidewinder and your base layers would be your thinking... ?? Btw, what the new colour if you have ditched the Orange..?

P.S, I am looking at some pants with full lenght zips... seen any deals..?
snow report
JT, gone with the maroon to match me new Atomic Nomad Crimson's wink.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 3-06-07 12:34; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
spyderjon,

Ha ha

Mine is burnt curry.... !!!!!!!!
ski holidays
JT, Yep, just Decathlon base layers for me. I think in 13/14 weeks I've only worn my lightweight fleece for a max of a couple of days when it's been -15 & colder plus windchill. Understand what you're saying re the 410 Goretex but my Spyder weighs in at 1.12kg & the Sidewinder is 705g so I'm going the right way.

Haven't seen any kecks with full length zips (why do you want full length?) but I think that the Arcteryx Minuteman have thigh long zippered vents.
latest report
JT wrote:
A Paklte XCR jacket for £130 ...it is so good and light that I can sell my Eider XCR..which has been my banker before this

Or my Sei bass which I had handmade for £1600...a few years ago now when the US equivalents were going for £3000 plus. The finish on mine walks all over the Ken Smiths, Fodera, etc

JT, are you a member over on www.basschat.co.uk (formerly bassworld)?

On topic: I got my Movment spark carbons on ebay for £105 new on ebay, then got a set of Salomon 912ti's for £30 new!

Saw the skis in St Anton for €550. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spikyhedgehog,

No, I am not, but I will have a look at it. I need to replace some PAS speakers for a goliath cab and PAS aren't very available so I need some alternatives...!!!

Thanks for the link
ski holidays
spyderjon, Does that mean I'm unsupported in the 'orange' stakes then!!
latest report
Megamum, I've still got me orange boots Cool
snow conditions
JT wrote:
Spikyhedgehog,

No, I am not, but I will have a look at it. I need to replace some PAS speakers for a goliath cab and PAS aren't very available so I need some alternatives...!!!

Thanks for the link

There's lots of good info on there, plenty to buy if you're looking for stuff. You should put some picutres of the Sei up, I'm sure they'll be appreciated!
latest report
Spikyhedgehog,

I keep on saying that I'll post it here.... I'll get some proper pictures of it soon
snow report
 brian
brian
JT wrote:
I am a big fan of Paklite XCR

Paclite and XCR are 2 different things. Paclite is the ultra-lightweight gore-tex fabric, xcr (extended comfort range) is the latest and greatest version of their membrane, available in a range of different fabrics.

Quote:

P.S, I am looking at some pants with full lenght zips... seen any deals..?

How about some Mammut paclites ?
latest report
brian,

Sounds about right, my jacket has paklite XCR on it..... so I figured it meant it used the XCR membrane with the Paklite top fabric ...

That link looks good but I need to see these things close up... what I will probably do is try and get to SNR, see that I like the panties for size and then see who has them for what price. I think they have some minuteman things which I might like
snow report
Paclite and XCR are primarily the same Gore-tex membrane but differ in terms of durability. Packite is the lightest, most supple but the least durable. XCR comes as either 2-ply or 3-ply, 3-ply being the most durable gore-tex fabric (but obviously being the heaviest and also quite 'stiff'). Thre are now a number of jackets and pants combining 2 or more of the above fabrics to find the best compromise of lightweight/durable/waterproof.

spyderjon, if you're looking for full zipp pants for skiing/touring, best to avoid paclite and go for a more durable XCR 2 or 3 ply. Mammut make some pretty nice ones called 'Nuptse'.
snow report
spyderjon, I got a pair of Peak Performance XCR strides in the sales a couple of seasons ago. They've a full length zip and are lined but not insulated.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
... and the Nuptse is even available in a nice vom-inducing shade of orange...

€260 here.
snow report
brian, spyderjon in numpty pants - yeah, I think he should Laughing
snow conditions
Mosha Marc,

Lined with what... a mesh would be useful.

I find my Edier pants with a fleece can get too hot but I'd like a lining of some sort so as not to take loads of long johns.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy