Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New XC Binding System from 'CadoMotus' out Winter 07-08

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Nordic Norm method of binding the boot to the ski–using a front-only binding–has evolved in various modern bindings. Today's NNN, SNS Profil and SNS Pilot binding systems are all subtle variants of the Nordic Norm using semi-soft boots and pivot axes to achieve desired levels of ski control and plantar flexion–while remaining largely incompatible with each other. The "skating" or "free" technique of cross-country, the fastest and most effective movement pattern, has brought about refinements in design of skis and bindings.

Drawing on extensive klapskate, Nordic Blading and Speedskating experience, Skate sport company CadoMotus has developed a new style of boot and binding for XC free skiing.

Fitting on common binding mounting points (SNS/NNN), with no ski-modification required - the CadoMotus XC Binding accepts 165mm mount-length skate boots with 22mm fore/aft adjustment for biomechanically efficient positioning of the clap hinge under ball of the foot.

A unique step-in system allows the user to literally switch ski's in seconds - enabling athletes to select the fastest ski setup they have pre-prepared for the event temperature and snow conditions - just moments before the start if necessary.

The Binding system, developed with input from Olympic alpine athletes, is available in a limited release for Winter 2007-08.

More information on the system and its development can be found at http://cadomotus.blogspot.com/2007/05/cross-country-ski-binding-development.html and at http://www.cadomotus.com
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
165mm

Interesting.

Above the ankle boot?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The CadoMotus COMP boot, shown in the picture, is a Nylon-composite 'feel' boot that covers the ankle.
The COMP has dual lacing closure (quicklace lower section, conventional upper section), with a 3/4 cover fitted with a microbuckle closure over.
The boot is over the ankle, approx 10-20mm depending on ankle height, and offers a more responsive fit and construction than traditional boots.
With 165mm standard for the Binding, a skating standard, a wide range of boots are available for use with the new binding system.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think it's solution a without a problem.

The extra weight of this "binding system" will make it VERY un-popular with racers.

And with binding price routinely available under $100, it's easier, MUCH lighter and no more expensive, to simply mount the same binding that fits the shoes on all the skis one owns. (I did that for 2 pairs I have)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
e_mick, welcome to snowHead

Out of interest, are you in any way involved with CadoMotus?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks.
Yes, I am involved in product development with CadoMotus. Wanted to get the word out about the new binding system and field questions/get feedback on the system after presenting it on our News Blog.
Diederik Hol (NED) is the design engineer behind the CadoMotus XC Binding system.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc wrote:
I think it's solution a without a problem.

abc, its actually kinda sexy on paper because it

- removes the binding rails from the boot and makes them part of the ski. You can thus replace the boot without paying for another set of super-rigid binding rails. I've been a big fan of the double box inline frame design; if this is anything like it then its more rigid than most current boots.

- allows for abduction/adduction compensation by sliding the boot bolts on the frame. Name one current XC boot that can do that. There is also the possibility of wedge shims to change the roll angle of the boot relative to the frame. Again, no current XC boot does that.

e_mick I was assuming that 165mm was chosen over 195mm to give a greater range of adjustment (I think your blog quotes 22mm?) That's a little pesky as most everyone I know has been switching over to 195mm. Also, are these rails double box?

EDIT: abc does have a point, the two-component frame design is not perfectly elegant:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_clkCquXOlKE/Rl1kSZ2SaxI/AAAAAAAAARk/9KUV-UOudA4/s1600-h/DSC02960.jpg

That -is- a klapskate spring in the toepiece? (Ruh-roh: imagine a forest full of skate skiers all sounding like they're on Raps Hemans klap klap klap Shocked Shocked Shocked )
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex wrote:
abc does have a point, the two-component frame design is not perfectly elegant:

Exactly comprex!

At first glance, I was under the impression this binding was a "universal adaptor" to all the incompatible bindings out there, whihc would probably have been more useful for non-racer on touring kits where weight and complexity is less critical. As such, it's definitely a solution without a problem. Not to mention klunky.

Then, he went on to talk about the special shoes which appears to sans rail, from the follow up discussion. Well, that would make the shoe/binding "system" yet another imcompatible setup on the market! Not that there's any thing wrong with coming up yet another brand new system. But it's a far cry from the "opening statement".

One thing that isn't very clear to me though, is how the rail-to-shoe coupling works.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, good job in reminding new comers the ettique of commercial posting on snowhead.

A short disclaimer on the original posting would have been greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc, skate boots have mounting blocks moulded in, taking a Cado Motus example, others look different:

You thread an M6 or similar Allen bolt into one of those holes at the toe and one at the heel.

I think that klapskate spring might be the key to the novelty of it all.

Those mounting slots look long enough you could probably rig up any old inline skate boot that had a detachable frame, whether its a K2 Radical 100 or an old set of Bravoblades.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I see. Thanks comprex, I think I get it now.

Am I to assume the "standard 165mm" vs. 195mm are refering to the distance between the toe and heel mounting block? In that case, it's probably quite easy to make another version of the rail to suit the 195 mounting block, if the market demands it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
e_mick, welcome to snowHead

Out of interest, are you in any way involved with CadoMotus?

What made you think that? wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's good to see a discussion emerging, and skier impressions of the system are very important and appreciated.

To clarify and address some queries that have arisen in the forum, I will include some further explanation (from a continuation of the article presented at www.cadomotus.blogspot.com)

The CadoMotus XC concept is a binding & hard-shell boot combination. Skating on this combination offers significantly increased control over your skis when compared with traditional boot/binding systems. It ensures a more efficient push off, canting of the ski in the snow, enhanced grip and steering.

Just as testers did in a variety of ski conditions, users will appreciate the precision of the boot/binding unit, with almost complete elimination of play between the ski and the system that is typical of many XC binding systems. In-use, the system has a feeling of lightness despite the gram-for-gram weight of the unit compared with composite binding systems. This precision and the feeling of 'directness' it provides the skier, means that the push angle and contact with the snow remain controlled and precise throughout the skating stroke.

Research in ice skating over the past decade has focused on the ideal biomechanical position of a hinge allowing plantar flexion. Skating boots with a 165mm mounting-distance place the front mount of the boot approximately 30mm behind the pivot-point on the system. Biomechanically, research and testing indicates this to be the most efficient position (located 185mm ahead of the ankle joint). 195mm (or long-mount boots) that have begun to become the inline skating standard, are definitely not the standard for ice skating – due to the required hinge position in a klap-skate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clapskates). Current inline boots are perhaps too rigid at the ankle for most XC users, with test results indicating the suitability of a softer construction (more like that offered by an ice-skating boot). This further enhances the useability of a 165mm mounting distance in the binding system.

A boot such as the CadoMotus COMP (pictured with the XC binding system, and evolving from the prototype design used by testers of the system) offers a snug and secure fit, with the fastening system (including microbuckle adjustment) offering very precise maintenance of the fit and feel of the skate boot in all conditions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
e_mick,

Do you know stanton? I think he lives somewhere near you. According to stanton Holland is so good at everything that he named himself after a ski resort in Austria - seems a bit double dutch to me but perhaps you can provide an explanation from a Dutch perspective.

Will you be doing a "CadoMotus Comp Clog" for your dosmestic market? I bet stanton would buy a pair to match his slippers http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvcorks/481090689/.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking at the pictures and description the heel lift is entirely from the pivot point of the binding, no bending of the forefoot, so I wouldn't be able to do a tele turn? Also the system isn't going to work with classic skis so that would mean an extra set of boots for me. At the moment I use a pilot pursuit boot for both classic and skate, with pilot bindings on the skate skis.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy