Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crans Montana

Poster: A snowHead
Dear snowHead
We have a party of four families thinking of half term (Feb 2008) in Crans Montana. We would be hiring cars from Geneva (Swiss side)
Any advice on good hotels very near (toddler / ancient father walking distance) to the main lifts?
The skiing is I believe quite easy but in other respects the resort would appear to suit us well. Apparently good for food, shops, views, sunny slopes,etc. Is this all true?
All information gratefully received.
snow report
 brian
brian
Nick W, I've not actually skied at C/M but I can certainly vouch for the views and sunny slopes.

However, while we wait for a more informed snowHead to crop up, an alternative to consider might be St Luc/Chandolin on the other side of the Rhone. It has similar easy sunny slopes and views but is a far more attractive village and also gets you access to some top notch skiing on the same lift pass over in Zinal/Grimentz.

Possible hotel:

http://www.bellatola.ch/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Niceish town. Reasonable shopping. Goodish food. Average service. Great sun record. Average snow record. Average skiing. Amazing views down into the Rhone Valley. Worth a trip.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a long weekend there seven or eight years ago. No real recollection, but skiing did seem a little limited - didn't get off piste though.

I'm pretty sure we stayed at the Hotel Central which lives up to it's name. It was still a hike to the lifts though, but there's a multi-storey car park right next to the lifts, so we used the hire car.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a Best Western hotel quite close to the lifts and carpark at Crans. Skiing was very good and it was easy to get right across the range and down in to each of the four villages
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick W, I learnt to ski there 10 years ago and have been back every year since so I guess must have done 20+ weeks there by now. It's really two towns (a bit like Brighton and Hove). Crans is more upmarket (Chanel, Dior etc etc). Montana more down to earth. Montana is more conveneint for the Jardin de Neiges. What are you looking for in your hotel? Half board, self catering? Flash or cheaper?

You can travel all the way from GVA by public transport so cars may not be necessary.

The views are stunning, the on mountain eating is excellent and there's plenty of demanding skiing - you just have to know where to go wink .

Mosha Marc, so you're the reason the winters are so mild! It must be a 7 minute walk to the Grand Signal from the Central Hotel and even if you can't walk that far there's a free bus rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steve Sparks, don't tell me, I was happy to walk. However the ladeez in the group couldn't carry their skis more than a few paces without swooning.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steve Sparks, Many thanks for info. We have no real preference between the two bits of the town.
The hotel needs to be Swiss three or four stars (full board with excellent food) but location is the important bit as like Mosha Marc we have a contingent who consider 200m in ski boots to be about the limit. That's about 5 mins walk in ordinary shoes by my reckoning (providing they aren't going at nattering speed of course or there are shops in the way). We are bound to have cars; buses, what are they rolling eyes
So far I have looked at the Central and the Robinson but come to no real conclusions.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, Thanks, I shall explore Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
halfhand, I checked on the Best Western site but they do not appear to have anything in Crans Montana any more. Do you happen to remember the hotel name as it may have changed hands? Thanks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick W, Have a look at the Hotel Intergolf in Montana. www.helvetia-intergolf.ch it gives you an option of self-catering or halfboard. I've stayed there many times and it's top quality with a samll swimming pool which gives you views across the whole Valais. They also have a small minibus which will transport you to the lifts, which are 10 minutes walk or 5 minutes drive. It is also possible to hire lockers for skis and boots at the lift station which may help your ladeez. Montana does have some good shopping but fortunately for your sake all the dior, chanel etc are in Crans.

There's very little which is much closer to the lifts in Crans or Montana. The Central doesn't have a restaurant and is a bit characterless. The Olympic www.amadays.ch has a super restaurant downstairs but doesn't offer half board and is a bit more basic than the Intergolf. Another option is the St George, which I've not stayed at.

I've never stayed in Crans, there are plenty of Hotels but none really walking distance (as far as your gang understand it!)

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 1-06-07 10:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steve Sparks, That's a great help thank you.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nick W, Sorry can't recall it. Not much help really soz again. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was there this season for a few days and also there a couple of seasons ago. It is a Swiss resort (or resorts but linked) that one can expect of good standard, solid facilities and everything is in an orderly fashion.

I always drive there and for the lastest trip we stayed in Sion Ibis and the distance to the chairlift is nothing. With car one can select a quiet spot to go up the mountain and foregt about crowds. Staying off resort allows us to stay any number of nights and Ibis is a business class grade hotel with an excellent restaurant. Sion as a town has plenty eating places but like every Swiss small city/town the evening is often quiet.

The other reason we stayed in Sion is because we could go to Verbier equally quick, via the Nendz side. I think it is safer to have the option open as one may find one place has more attractive features than the other, for example the snow may be better in one valley than the other.

Personally no matter how good or bad a resort is I have to go there to see and ski it myself. Crans Montana isn't a bad place by any standard. It is as high as Verbier, not as big but of a decent size though with 160km piste. Verbier has over 200km piste.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saikee, I stayed at the Ibis, Sion a few weeks ago. Very friendly staff & good food for a chain hotel
snow report
saikee,
Quote:

It is as high as Verbier

But more of it is south-facing, I think, so the snow tends to disappear more quickly.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks one and all for the input but we have decided that Crans Montana just doesn't have the necessary convenience factors Embarassed We have moved to looking at Serfaus in Austria. I trust the information provided will be of use to others though.
latest report
I don't know about CM..only saw it from afar last year, but if the Swiss say they do public transport then they will do it well. Whether this will suit people who struggle with bags is another thing. I'd have a hunch that the valley on the other side of the Rhone...Val D anniviers, might have a bit more insurance snow-wise. As CM has a reputation for being sunny, that will takes its toil on the snow.

opps, missed the last few posts.. but St Luc is about 2 hrs from GVA..max, by car
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy