Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are women naturally better skiers than men?

Poster: A snowHead
I used to do jeet kune do and had to develop a better technique than the men I was fighting because they could achieve more through brute force.

Same probably goes for skiing (if skiing and fighting at the same time). wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PS I'm female...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Boys: we're not interested in watching you compete with us/each other/anything else that moves. Cut the cr@p and show us your willy.

Lizzard, if you visit the Troffana bar in Ischgl during happy hour, there will be plenty of jolly germans that will gladly oblige Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I take it Mr L has been away for a while Wink . Sounds like he should have a good welcome home though Laughing .
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, Mr L was back today but is in the doghouse having left the Cheddar at his mate's place following a drunken binge the previous evening.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard wrote:
GrahamN, Mr L was back today but is in the doghouse having left the Cheddar at his mate's place following a drunken binge the previous evening.

Is "left the Cheddar" this some sort of euphemism I haven't heard before? Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
Lizzard wrote:

Is "left the Cheddar" this some sort of euphemism I haven't heard before? Shocked

Laughing Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, er ............................. no. What were you envisaging?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard,

Not casting any aspersions but on the running theme of language evolution I could just about envisage the following conversation say between 2 blokes in a pub:

Bloke 1: So you got off with the barmaid last night?
Bloke 2: Yeah I really left the cheddar round her place! wink

In fact I might submit it to Roger's Profanisauraus now.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, you are an extremely strange man.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In my defence I offer as an example (Marginally unsafe for work):

http://www.viz.co.uk/?%2Fprofanisaurus%2Fprofan_index.php%3Ffb%3D1
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, I grew up with a brother 2.7 yrs younger than me, have had two kids, am well read wink , and have spent time on landfill sites, trawlers and amongst oil rig employees, but 'left the chedder' is a new one on me as well. I may regret asking this, but is an explanation in order here?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, I think he simply left behind the supply of tasty cheese from Somerset that had been intended for family enjoyment rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, Well.....I must admit I started off wondering as much. However, if that's the case it just seemed rather an odd observation to post even it was true
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, you've dug yourself one helluva hole for yourself, havn't you Embarassed NehNeh
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, well done! I'm not entirely sure how much clearer I could have been.
snow conditions
Snowy, I'm a bloke and a puny 165cms, 62kgs. Does that mean I need to compensate for a lack of brute force by developing better technique to keep up with my mates? wink
snow report
Snowy wrote:
I used to do jeet kune do and had to develop a better technique than the men I was fighting because they could achieve more through brute force.

who needs brute force when ya have silky smooth skills
snow conditions
Quote:

who needs brute force when ya have silky smooth skills

So be warned, Mr Brute Force.. Cool
ski holidays
BAH!

Power IS technique

If I'm only skiing 30-40 days a year I can either come in STRONG and enjoy myself or spend 2/3 of the season faffing about with instructors learning remedial skills.
ski holidays
Blade wrote:
A long (long) time ago

I disagree strongly, if you have good technique then the more tired you become you depend even more on technique. Strength is essential to hold the technique but lose concentration on the technique and all the strength in the world won't help you.

I think a well trained skier is better than a strong athlete it doesn't matter about the sex.

But when technique is good in both parties then I believe a man will ski a course faster than a woman and being able to ski a tricky course fastest is generally synonymous with great technique.

Also skiing olympic downhill super quick also involves a level of conquering your fear and controlling your body to allow it to behave well under extreme pressure and in control when a large part of your natural response is to stop putting your body in danger!

If you want a straight 1 or 0 answer then men are better skiers because by using our current set of standard skiing contests i.e nordic skiing, downhill, slalom, super g, biatholon, ski jump male skiers of similar standard to femal counterparts would post faster times, i.e. win.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 8-06-07 19:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Snowy wrote:

Then you had a lame teacher as a good master wouldn't allow a student to develop brute force above technique as this is intrinsically against the fundamentals of martial arts.
ski holidays
plectrum wrote:

Then you had a lame teacher as a good master wouldn't allow a student to develop brute force above technique as this is intrinsically against the fundamentals of martial arts.

so, let's talk about 'skilled force'. first question: is 'skilled force' necessarily counterintuitive?
ski holidays
I think BGA had it right to begin with.

Quote:

Of course they are
latest report
comprex,

for skiing or for martial arts?

I think initially for skiing the first issue to overcome is your body wanting you to stop and not ski down a big mountain. I have heard alot of people saying that a skiier needs to push the limits to develop better technique and I certainly find that my skiing doesnt develop if I stop when the going gets scary rather than try and concentrate and ski through it using a combination of strength, obstinance and technique.

also by definition skilled force is a combination of skill and force! if we are still on the sex issue then both parties can develop these two factors but personally I see little difference related to skill between the sexes and although the female frame is lighter and so needs less force to control it I do feel more force can be created and applied by a male.

Also if the male develops a good technique then becuase he is heavier through clever weight transfer it possibly requires less brute force to ski well down a mountain.

All I meant for the martial arts is that a good teacher never encourages brute force over skill, my master was fundamentally against this as I think(not qualified to be sure) that good martial arts is about energy transfer, sure you need the force to create this energy but then you need the technique to allow it to rise up and leave your body and into what/who you strike.

Actually I kinda find these posts a little annoying as the male vs female 'thing' is the clearly provocative. It is quite clear that both parties can ski well or perform well at most sports but competing one against the other in terms of who is better is futile.
ski holidays
Quote:

If I'm only skiing 30-40 days a year I can either come in STRONG and enjoy myself or spend 2/3 of the season faffing about with instructors learning remedial skills.

Fair enough, mate - but you tell that to your overworked knees Toofy Grin
snow report
Somewhat off topic I know, but strength confers a great advantage in a scrap, as well as in skiing. It can certainly compensate for technique, sometimes quite a lot and sometimes only a little, but it's certainly no disadvantage at any given skill level.
snow conditions
Quote:

Somewhat off topic I know, but strength confers a great advantage in a scrap, as well as in skiing. It can certainly compensate for technique, sometimes quite a lot and sometimes only a little, but it's certainly no disadvantage at any given skill level.

slikedges, it most certainly is... I hope you're not a ski instructor Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blade, think you missed my point - it isn't - hope you're not either a ski or martial arts instructor
ski holidays
I can't believe this thread has lasted so long.

Men are faster, stronger and skilfuler.

Job done.
snow report
Whitegold, I'm with you with the faster, stronger, bit. But you try quoting the latter (skilfuler) to the Chief Executive of the SCGB and see what reaction you get from her... Toofy Grin
BTW, your last post has just massaged this thread back to life. So stop whinging... NehNeh
snow report
Blade, As usual Mr Gold is just trolling.
latest report
Depends on the definition of "better". Men in general are stronger but the strength should only be measured in a ratio to the weight of the skier. Most of the women I know are better skiers than blokes of the same experience.
ski holidays
Most women I know are worse skiers than their blokes because they have less experience or if they have the same experience they're worse skiers because they haven't tried to improve. If they did, and weren't chicken, I'm sure their technical skills would be better, 'cos in this kind of situation I'd imagine they'd be better students. I don't buy the relying on technique rather than strength story to explain any generalised difference in technical ability 'cos lack of courage and strength in skiing can be just as much of a disadvantage as relying on them. However when it comes to performance, whatever the game, having more strength to draw on is always an advantage, to go alongside whatever technical skills one possesses.
latest report
I'm not saying better or worse, but nearly all the dangerous skiers I see are men or boys. Nearly all my friends who've been injured (including myself) have been hit by men or boys. Courage is a matter of overcoming your fear - not of having no fear. It's not remotely courageous to do something you're not afraid of. IMO many men rely entirely on strength and that is very unsatisfactory. OTOH, many women do not seek to become good skiers in the first place. Many men mistake speed for good .... rolling eyes
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
Blade, As usual Mr Gold is just trolling.

How can stating the obvious be trolling!
ski holidays
Whitegold, oh DO shut up, will you. rolling eyes
ski holidays
This is what my good friend Bode had to say on the subject !

latest report
but then he does ski like this, check the technique at the end of the race!

http://zerofilter.typepad.com/soc/2007/01/bodes_crash_and.html
ski holidays
plectrum, either really.

If 'skilled force' is counterintuitive then one cannot expect to deduce it 'just by doing' but must have intense analytical thought or external training, i.e. pay for someone else's thoughts.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy