Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which property is more important in boots for a beginner - fit or flex?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been skiing for 10 days but know that I am ready to purchase ski boots for my future outings. My problem is I have nightmare feet - high arches and narrow heels so basically the majority of boots I have tried on I have had massive heel lift in. The only boots that seem to hold my heel in place were the Salomon Falcons and the Atomic M100s. Of the two, the Falcons felt like they were better at holding my heel down.

My question is that I know that these two models of boots are top-end performance boots and as I am only starting out in the sport I was wondering if their stiffer flex would be detrimental to my development? What effects does wearing boots with too stiff a flex have on your skiing? Or should I not be concerned about the flex and make sure that the fit is correct?

Just for completeness, I am 188cm tall and weigh 88-90kgs (6'2" and 13½-14 stone in old money).

Any advice/info would be most welcome. Thanks. Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thewahwah, this will sound repetitive - but go and see a good bootfitter such as CEM in Bicester, the Zookeepers in Chamonix (yes, a long way to go but worth the trip by all accounts) or Lockwoods in Leamington Spa.

They should be able to add packing round the heel area of the boot to give a proper fit and hold to your ankles, whilst also getting a proper fit for the rest of your foot. They will also match you up with a boot that is suitable for your ability, rate of progression and aspirations.

IIRC, Tecnica boots have a relatively wide toe box, so would have narrowish heels if your forefoot fits correctly. I too have a high instep and Tecnica works for me. Have you tried any Lange boots? I think these also have a fairly narrow heel fit.

I'm sure one of our bootfitting snowHeads will be along soon to offer more learned advice than myself.

Good luck with your search.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thewahwah, It got to be both. If there is another bootfitting session at Lockwoods in Leamington Spa during the Autumn then get on it. best money I ever spent.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree 100% with the followups but just want to add 2c worth.

When I was a greenhorn skier heel lift was a major bugbear of mine. I tried all manner of boot to try and cure the curse of the zero-G heel. Now, long of tooth, I can't remember when I last thought about heel lift and figure it was more of a techique than gear problems (probably about 99% of ski problems are to do with technique). I reckon that I could walk into a ski shop, pick up pretty much any size 42 boot (well ok, not Salomon) and ski down your average black piste with the clips undone in reasonable style. The only thing is my skiing would never progress, probably the opposite as I would be compensating for poor fit.

So my 2cents.

1. As you get better many things that seemed to affect your skiing no longer will.
2. If I only had money to spend on one thing it would be ski boots and fit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thewahwah, where are you based? I concur with davidof,
Quote:

If I only had money to spend on one thing it would be ski boots and fit.

you want a good bit of flex in moy opinion, too many people get seduced by "expert" boots that are way too stiff for them and doesnt allow for enough ankle flex.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses everyone.

davidof wrote:
When I was a greenhorn skier heel lift was a major bugbear of mine. I tried all manner of boot to try and cure the curse of the zero-G heel. Now, long of tooth, I can't remember when I last thought about heel lift and figure it was more of a techique than gear problems (probably about 99% of ski problems are to do with technique). I reckon that I could walk into a ski shop, pick up pretty much any size 42 boot (well ok, not Salomon) and ski down your average black piste with the clips undone in reasonable style. The only thing is my skiing would never progress, probably the opposite as I would be compensating for poor fit.

It was when I was jumping into turns and, in the old rental boots, the heel lift was that bad it felt like I was jumping out of the boots rather than the skis coming with me. As you say, it's probably more down to technique than anything else. But that kind of sensation didn't really inspire any confidence.

skimottaret, I am based in Northern Ireland so my bootfitting options are very limited. Perhaps I could make it to Bicester at some stage as Mrs WahWah loves the Outlet shopping there.

Anybody know what kinds of problems (technical and physical) I would be letting myself in for by wearing boots that were too stiff?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thewahwah wrote:

Anybody know what kinds of problems (technical and physical) I would be letting myself in for by wearing boots that were too stiff?

20 non-skiing minutes extra wait at the in-resort fitters' whilst they soften the boots up, assuming they need to?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thewahwah, if you can't make it over here then go see a mate of mine Des McCarley ex Mac Ski has a new place opening very soon you will find him on www.desski.com .......give him a call, i am sure he will be able to help you out
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
colour is much more important than flex or fit Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thewahwah, the LARGEZOOKEEPER is joking ...i hope Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LARGEZOOKEEPER wrote:
colour is much more important than flex or fit Madeye-Smiley

Absolutely, what was I thinking?? wink

CEM, thanks for the link. I will definitely look him up.

Thanks again everyone.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thewahwah, you don't want to be jumping into anything

P.S. LARGEZOOKEEPER, is absolutely correct. If your boots don't match (colourwise) your clothes, face, eyes, attitude...you ain't gonna get anywhere.

Seriously though, I think a good fit is always important as a bad one might hurt. Appropriate flex is important but maybe, just maybe less important. If anything, after 10 days (?) err on the softer side (I think). But take anything I say with a pinch of salt as 1. I am allegedly insane and 2. I am Napoleon.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy