Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine to Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any bright ideas as to the easiest/ quickest/ cheapest way to get from Morzine to Les Arcs, in March? Have been quoted £280 for a taxi! And most car hire companies don't seem to offer a pick-up/ drop-off in different locations. Is there any possible way to do it via public transport? Any help gratefully received...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rainman, What about going via Geneva by transfer bus? It will make for a long day, and might not work out if the times of the connection don't work but would be cheaper than a taxi. Try http://www.autocars-martin.com/ to see if their service helps. For the cost of that taxi you could hire a car for a couple of weeks - is that the best option?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, the problem with the car is that it seems a large expense to then have it sat in parking spaces for a couple of weeks, largely unused. I reckon that transfer method might be the way to go. Any idea of the respective journey times to and from Geneva?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rainman, timetabkle and prices from last season here.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, slightly off topic but with your frequent trips to Les Arc what do you find as the best value (time and money) way to get to your place from London. (i am assuming you go to the race camps etc by yourself)
snow conditions
 brian
brian
rainman, Europcar at least theoretically do one way rentals and have locations at Morzine and Bourg St Maurice but I can't get their website to give me a quote. Might be worth giving them a call though ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, I usually fly LHR-GVA with BA, then hire a car. It's not the cheapest way to do it, but for me it's the best balance between cost and convenience. I fly from Heathrow because it's my closest airport and I get can there on the bus for a couple of quid (saving the cost of airport parking). If I book early enough BA aren't that much more expensive than the lo-cost carriers. The car hire is the part of the journey which feels the most expensive, especially if I'm not sharing the cost with anyone, but most of the time a coach transfer wouldn't really work because I need a car to drive to a different resorts or I need to drive to Les Arcs to collect kit then onto another resort for a course or to ski with friends. Trying to do this on public transport would be a bit of a nightmare, so I normally bite the bullet and give my money to Holiday Autos or one of the other discount brokers. As for timing, I try to travel on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday on whatever is the cheapest flight of the day. Normal pattern would be to fly out on a Thursday after work, then back on a Monday or Tuesday after skiing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, rob@rar, I think that AlpBus is going to be about the easiest route. It does indeed look like a long day!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, thanks, same here except it is stansted or City/gatwick and then the hire car, just though you may have had a bit of local knowledge i wasnt aware of.. I did the eurostar direct train twice last year and it was great for full week trips with first stop in moutier and then a coach up the hill (typically every half hour)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, thanks, same here except it is stansted or City/gatwick and then the hire car, just though you may have had a bit of local knowledge i wasnt aware of.. I did the Eurostar direct train twice last year and it was great for full week trips with first stop in moutier and then a coach up the hill (typically every half hour)

If I didn't need transport when I was there and was doing a full week the Eurostar option would be a good one for me because it's so easy to get from BSM up to Les Arcs. But trips like that aren't very common for me, so the Eurostar isn't a useful option. I would like it if it was easier to book Eurostar/SNCF tickets, especially if I could do it for a sensible price more than 3 months in advance. At the moment that doesn't seem to be the case, so flying remains the best option. We have looked at buying a car to keep out there, but the cost/difficulty of parking it at Geneva or Lyon means that's not a good option either.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, yeah the <3 months thing is a real pain. the eurostar sells out immediately for high season you would think they could run daily services and somehow make it a bit more easy to book given they are losing so much cash and could target the ski market a bit better.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rainman, you could always try to "faire le stop". I suspect you could get lifts relatively easily, hitching. I have several times given lifts to people round the mountains, though so far they have always turned out to be French. One was a very drunk pisteur who had had too many birthday drinks after work one day and had to leave his van behind and get back to his farm without it! Might be a problem if you have masses of gear though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rainman, how about getting one of the transfer companies to drop you and collect you in cluses - phone and let htem choose which buses do each leg so they at least maximise utilisation?

Or you could hitch, I'm afraid I won't pick you up having collected what looked like a friendly local at the Morine junction in Taninges - who then related that (in January) he'd hitched from Paris to see his parents, 9 hours so far in a jumper and jeans (snowing in Taninges) and that although Parisien fire fighters were part of the army and therefore badly paid, he had a collection of 2,000 live spiders. He seemed like a nice bloke but never again...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blimey planning far enough ahead? Train from Cluses via a few connections to Bourg?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, it's not for me, as it goes. It's a mate who's planning to do a week's course in Morzine, and then wants to meet up with a group of friends for their annual trip to Les Arcs. I thought I'd ask the font of all knowledge, as I hadn't the foggiest. Looks like a slightly impossible journey, unless he wants to spend about €200 to sit on a bus for 12 hours. I'd be inclined to hire a car from Geneva for the two weeks and offset the extra cost against the fact that you could do the journey in a couple of hours. Is Morzine to Cluses a relatively easy journey?

brian, I can't get the website to quote either. I'll get him to call Europcar. Much appreciated.

pam w, it's an option, but a risky one!

David Murdoch, Shocked

Thanks all! snowHead
snow report
rainman, Morzine-Cluses about 30minutes by car. I'd hire a car too. Booking this far in advance and going for the weeniest one available I reckon you'd pay ~£100
latest report
Rainman,

Single train fare from Thonan les Bains to Bourg Saint Maurice is €30 and takes 6-7 hours

One day, one way car hire can be bought for c. €100 and the journey will probably take 3 hours.

Hope this helps

Skibb
latest report
Skibb, it does, thankyou. Where did you get the €100 quote for car hire from?
latest report
Europcar quoted €115 for Clio on Sat 9th Feb '08 from Annemasse to BSM. I thought I found something closer to €100 but for the life of me I cannot remember where! I couldn't get an online quote for their Morzaine office but it may be possible to patch something together without a separate trip to Annemasse.

This year I took train from Baden Baden in Germany to Wengen. Train time was an hour or two longer than the equivalent drivie but it worked out fine and the journey was relaxing. I thought that €30 from T les B to BSM wasn't half bad.
ski holidays
Rob, you can always get the daily "change trains in Paris" option. - has worked a treat for us a few times, and is cheaper than the all the way Eurostar journey.

Rainman, I've had a couple of guests in Les Arcs take the one way Europcar trip to BSM from Geneva , which has worked well: both cost and time effective, indeed one even hired for the day to pick up wife & child from Lyons airport, when he had arrived the day before (don't ask...).

Europcar in BSM tend to be a little parochial in their outlook, and will not necessarily want to open when their franchise operator says they do - this may be why the website is having difficulty quoting? Sometimes hard negoation has be necessary to get them to acknowledge that a car may need to be picked up / dropped off at a certain time, particularly on a Sunday. But it has always worked out in the end, so I would really look at that as your mate's best option.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JimW wrote:
Rob, you can always get the daily "change trains in Paris" option. - has worked a treat for us a few times, and is cheaper than the all the way Eurostar journey.

Yeah, always hilarious taking Line 5 from Gare du Nord to Austerlitz. It's Moon boot heaven LOL. Very unusual! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy