Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Iced Baths, or Cryotherapy

Poster: A snowHead
I'd be interested to hear if any of you have experience of this, I wrote the below in response to a query somewhere else.

++++++++++++++++++

Jason Leonard and Trevor Woodman force a smile

Lawrence Dallaglio lies back and thinks of England

Lee Childs feels the cold pain of the ice bath

NRL Bulldogs Training, Australia

It's an emerging trend amongst rugby players at the moment, you will have seen pictures of teams and individuals getting to ice baths at the end of training etc., although AFAIK it's origins (the ice bath) is from field and track.

It originally started as a way to speed up the repair of miniscule muscular and fibrous tears of the shins (shin splints) in field and track - athletes used to stand in wheelie-bins full of iced water to reduce the inflamation.

However in recent times some athletes found that it helped with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) - Paula Radcliffe is one such athlete to uses the ice bath.

In the meantime some athletes also found that it aided recovery time between training/competitions, so at the moment it's sport's new messiah. Recovery has become a bit of a buzz word over the past few years.

Some say that it's effective as it constricts all the blood vessels, squeezing all the "old" oxygen depleated blood out (incl lactic acid), and when they get out of the bath, it's replenished by "new" blood enabling healing and recovery from DOMS.

Some say that it's effective because it reduces inflamation.

Some advocate alternate ice and hot baths.

Personally speaking as a coach - I tell all my athletes to take a long, very hot bath, followed by stretching after the session - which also gets the blood flowing. It seems to work for them

If you want to buy an icebath just like the ones pictured above, you can opt for an individual model, or a team model!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 30-05-07 11:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think I'll put up with the delayed soreness and recovery. Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like the long hot bath approach, thanks. But there is masses of evidence that getting into cold water is something your body adjusts to, quite quickly actually, if done regularly and frequently and is a very good idea for anyone like winter dinghy sailors who might find themselves immersed accidentally; the shock reaction is much less in individuals who have acclimatised themselves, eg by taking cold showers. This response is independent of age, fitness etc - ie any of us could readily enhance our ability to put up with cold water, by - er - putting up with cold water. But that shock reaction is not good for people with weak hearts etc - who are best advised to keep warm. They discovered that people in that shocked state, for example hypothermic victims being plucked from the sea by helicopter, need to be kept horizontal (ie not dangling from a chest harness, which could kill them). There was an interesting TV programme some years ago about all this, using naval diving experts and training facilities. They showed how fast top Olympic swimmers lost their coordination and strength in cold water (when it is, of course, best to stay still and curl up in a ball, not thrash around). I'm such a wimp these days I don't like getting in the sea in this country even in the summer without a wetsuit. But there are other old ladies round here who swim in the sea frequently who are fine with it and if I did it every day I'd be fine with it too. So why don't I? No idea.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No chance of implementing this regime at the PSB or EoSB then? And if you're a male, beware of shrinkage.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight, Those photos are sooooo gay Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I remember seeing Chemmy Alcott on TV once saying that she used an ice bath to recover after racing, so it is used in skiing as well, and the pictures would probably be a bit easier on the eye than those above snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
iblair, Chemmy or not, I wouldn't be leaping in after her!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here you go, FtS, the England Team currently training in Pretoria - burly rugby men to make you feel better Laughing

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've not tried an ice bath (and I don't intend to), but I have started to use Biofreeze on aches. It seems to work for me. (but the first time I tried it, it felt like it was really burning my skin)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
veeeight, Thank you - very nice Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here I am trying to have a serious sports physio discussion, and it's getting dragged down.... Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, what's Biofreeze?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oooh yes, very nice pictures thank you. Any more piccies? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The tall bloke looks dodgy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cathy, plenty more, but I don't think they will be universally embraced :lol
snow report
Is the Cryotherapy the one they are all raving on about where you go into a room at about -60C for a couple of minutes? Seemed plausible when I listened to the doctor on the radio the other week - cures all sorts of minor knocks and niggles....
latest report
Quote:

cures all sorts of minor knocks and niggles....
yes death is like that Very Happy
latest report
rob@rar wrote:

It's a gel you rub on - kinda like the complete opposite of Deep Heat. (also it doesn't smell as bad)

http://www.biofreeze.co.uk/
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

It's a gel you rub on - kinda like the complete opposite of Deep Heat. (also it doesn't smell as bad)

http://www.biofreeze.co.uk/

Thanks, not heard of that. Is it designed to reduce inflammation?
snow conditions
rob@rar, it's designed for pain relief, for inflammation I take Naproxen.
snow report
Quote:

Naproxen

Shocked

That's big boy stuff! Laughing
latest report
the best place for ice is in a G&T.................not in my bath, I did manage to have a G&T with ice whilst in my bath on my last skiing trip.....
ski holidays
biofreeze is the mutts nutts, works really well on all sorts of soft tissue injuries and we wsell loads of it Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

ice is the best thing to reduce the bleeding of the capillaries and reduce swelling/ soreness, using heat dilates the blood vessles and causes the blood to flow to the area of pain...... increased bloodflow does increase oxygenation therefore promote healing....so .........
latest report
CEM, does this mean you have a reasonable protocol to avoid the hunting effect, or are you trying to use it?
snow conditions
comprex, not much to hunt round here Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

That's big boy stuff!

...big boy stuff meaning that it is primarily administered for acute postoperative pain.
ski holidays
.... meaning that taken without due care you'll be constipated like a f**ker, and therefore increase in size Laughing
snow conditions
well, it works for me better than Vitamin I.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Vitamin I - It's known as Instructor Candy around here Laughing
snow conditions
Blade wrote:
Quote:

That's big boy stuff!

...big boy stuff meaning that it is primarily administered for acute postoperative pain.

The trick is not to wait for it to be administered. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
veeeight wrote:
.... meaning that taken without due care you'll be constipated like a f**ker

I take mine orally, and don't have that problem. Laughing
latest report
b]veeeight[/b], Works a treat and it doesn't HAVE to be ice water just very cold. You do have to be in the tub fairly quickly after the over exertion for best benefit. I'm not sure that it should be routinely used to disguise or mask the result of a real injury but for mild overexertion or minor impact stresses it's a real treat to avoid muscle soreness.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, a 7 day ski holiday sees me on a2 big fat prescribed Naproxen day and night. I worship the ground the manufacturer walks on. Oh and 1 Lanzoprazol a day to settle the guts. Very Happy
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, a 7 day ski holiday sees me on a2 big fat prescribed Naproxen day and night. I worship the ground the manufacturer walks on. Oh and 1 Lanzoprazol a day to settle the guts. Very Happy

So if you take all that what's the beer for?
ski holidays
rob@rar, I have to drink beer as it helps keep the weight up. If I weighed less then I may not need these wonderful drugs. Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar, I have to drink beer as it helps keep the weight up. If I weighed less then I may not need these wonderful drugs. Very Happy

Brilliant. I wish I was as smart as you Smile
snow report
veeeight wrote:
Personally speaking as a coach - I tell all my athletes to take a long, very hot bath, followed by stretching after the session - which also gets the blood flowing. It seems to work for them

Physiologically speaking, very poor and out of date advice I'm afraid.

Ice baths are taking it to an extreme, but best advice is probably stretching at the end of exercise (not before), and then a cool to lukewarm shower.
snow report
Kramer, there seems to be a plethora of mixed messages out there, not least http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=155396

What are the pros and cons of each method> (hot bath vs. cool shower)
latest report
veeeight, ice baths lead to shorter recovery times, both from training and soft tissue injuries. The RICE protocol is very well established these days and is not really contested at all.

Warmth, either as a bath or as a compress delays recovery time, probably by increasing inflammation because of increased blood flow. Coldness probably decreases the inflammatory response by decreasing blood flow to the affected area. A cold shower would have a similar effect.

It's far from an open and shut case (as it often is in medical matters), but at the moment, current best advice would be to avoid excessive heat after exertion. IMV of course wink .
snow report
Throught football I've been using Ice baths as couple of years, but only regularly this year.
It definately speeds up recovery times from muscle soreness etc.
This year we have been doing in in the cycle:
30-60 secs in ice bath then into hot shower until warmed up. Then into the ice bath for a further 30-60 secs and into the hot shower again.
If you go full body into the ice bath it's a serious shock to the system for the first 10 seconds, but if only put the legs in its fairly easy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy