Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DOES ANYONE / WOULD ANYONE USE A SKISTRAP TO CARRY SKIS?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
We manufacture and sell ski carrying straps. They are light, compact, high quality materials, adjustable for over the shoulder or like a handle and NO VELCRO.

I use them to carry 4 sets of skis for the family and hang them from the wall at the end of the day.

Check us out at www.skicarry.com

Email us if you are in Europe and special shipping can be arranged.

Thanks
Mike
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like having the wire thingy built into my backpack that pulls the skis tight without being sliced to ribbons. Used to use a Dakine Heli job but just bought an old stock Volkl pack from Craigdon Mountain Sports that actually has enough space for more than your ego and a go pro battery. Not listed on line so only in store.
Used to like the carry strap years ago until I went on a week long training course where the instructor spent breaks telling you how not to look like a punter and other cool Snowheads compatible propaganda. Don't get that from ESF. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Holy thread bump from a spammer - nearly like going back to the big bang. Anyway most ski carry systems are punter junk.

This is about the only one that is necessary if you have a long hike, lack something built into your pack and the kit is a simple sling:

http://www.skinet.com/skiing/photo-gallery/how-carry-your-skis-bootpack
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Post 271 !

Back in those days the only personal ski carrier I had was Gunga-dhin

poor chap was carried off in an avalanche, test skiing a slope.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2004 !! Has to be spam bump of the decade Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Valet service
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Lechbob, to quote my mum "she'll catch her death of cold"
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Vic Dennis wrote:
I find just carrying them over my shoulder easiest too. Gadgets are usually more trouble than they're worth, especially where straps are concerned. By the way, I'm a lightweight, vertically-challenged female and I *never* ask my partner to carry my skis for me (he'd say no, anyway).
Same here, and if going a long distance I use the old pole loop method, never dropped a pair yet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
biddpyat wrote:
Same here, and if going a long distance I use the old pole loop method, never dropped a pair yet.

Ah the Texas Suitcase - always interesting these ski carrying threads.

Carrying a simple sling seems a sensible idea to me as it is multifunctional and can be used for broken arms, emergency tourniquet, backpack cheststrap etc or carrying skis if you find yourself somewhere you need to bootback out of. Might add one to my pockets having thought about it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Even though its a pretty impressive bump it might not work out as other people, me for instance, post links for rivals

I used these for our holiday last year

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ski-Strap-Ski-Carrier-Skistrap-3-Pack-/270658846999?hash=item3f04864117:m:mmpHz0jV1mHo8e4MgIMF6Tg

These were excellent and although a tad fiddly with gloves they completely changed the process of getting 2 kids up the slope. They each had a set and it made it very easy to carry their skis.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any form of carrying strap or ski tote gizmo marks you as a gaper in the USA.

Just not cool. Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TQA wrote:
Any form of carrying strap or ski tote gizmo marks you as a gaper in the USA.

Just not cool. Cool

Same in Europe to be honest.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Rhys Brown,In answer to your questions:
Do any of you have one? - No
Would any of you use one? -Not me
Who feels it is a drag carrying skis by hand or on a tired shoulder? -Not me
What do the British think about them? -Not much although you need more than my answer to be a representative sample.
What would the Scandinavians, Austrians, French or Italians think? After all most of them ski soon after they can walk and must be used to carrying them by hand - I think they are used to doing a lot of things by hand- including carrying skis- you are correct- I suspect they would see them as naff (if they knew what naff was)
If you are a parent how many pairs can you / do you have to carry for the spouse/kids? -Lots- I use a bungy cord.
Are we British the only ones who like an easier life in resort & around the pistes? _ Don't be silly.

Interestingly I once bought my wife a nice Dakine rucksack with an integrated ski carry system- when I got it out for her (the rucksack and its ski carry system) she said (if I recall correctly): "unless there's a six foot French ski instructor in there hung like a donkey I'm not interested....etc etc etc..."[b]

My turn: What are you asking such idiotic questions????
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ed123 wrote:
@Rhys Brown,In answer to your questions:
Do any of you have one? - No
Would any of you use one? -Not me
Who feels it is a drag carrying skis by hand or on a tired shoulder? -Not me
What do the British think about them? -Not much although you need more than my answer to be a representative sample.
What would the Scandinavians, Austrians, French or Italians think? After all most of them ski soon after they can walk and must be used to carrying them by hand - I think they are used to doing a lot of things by hand- including carrying skis- you are correct- I suspect they would see them as naff (if they knew what naff was)
If you are a parent how many pairs can you / do you have to carry for the spouse/kids? -Lots- I use a bungy cord.
Are we British the only ones who like an easier life in resort & around the pistes? _ Don't be silly.

Interestingly I once bought my wife a nice Dakine rucksack with an integrated ski carry system- when I got it out for her (the rucksack and its ski carry system) she said (if I recall correctly): "unless there's a six foot French ski instructor in there hung like a donkey I'm not interested....etc etc etc..."[b]

My turn: What are you asking such idiotic questions????

I think Rhys Brown may be long gone. He posted that Wed 18 Feb 2004 and hasn't posted on Snowheads since Wed May 12 2004!!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And it looks like much of what he did post was pimping his ski carrying product...
latest report
Rucksacks with a diagonal ski carrier are really quick to use. Push the tails of the skis through a loop, clip the top strap around the skis. Put on the rucksack and go.

Skis on the rucksack doesn't work well on busses, so I often put a Voile strap around my skis to prevent them becoming unclipped from each other when taking them on and off my shoulder. Lots of guides use Voile straps for this, so definitely not gaper behaviour.
ski holidays
I got the kids some for Xmas last year and the were fantastic. Well for me at least as I no longer have to carry 3 sets of skis. They are very handy although I don't use them myself as I strap them to my backpack.

I would say for he kids they have been a great buy.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:

I think Rhys Brown may be long gone. He posted that Wed 18 Feb 2004 and hasn't posted on Snowheads since Wed May 12 2004!!!

probable fed up with the Brexit thread !
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Post 271 !

Back in those days the only personal ski carrier I had was Gunga-dhin

poor chap was carried off in an avalanche, test skiing a slope.
Laughing
Post 271 was at roughly the same time that the first subatomic particles started forming following Post 1 wasn't it? Post 1 just happened because the math said it had to...
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
2004 !! Has to be spam bump of the decade Very Happy

True, but t least it is ski related and not Kitchens Happy
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Anyone who skis much off-piste will have a rucksack and these usually allow skis to be carried while climbing uphill (one of those funny things off-piste fanatics do to access fresh slopes).
Mind you, it takes a minute or two to strap them on.

This - makes tramping around in snow a lot easier, trust me.

But using a skistrap for the walk from the car park...really?
latest report
why would you want to use a ski carry when there are so many ways to hold your skis sans straps? NehNeh

http://youtube.com/v/sU5cftDHOqo
ski holidays
I always use my shoulder, but then i don't do much ski carrying. However we should note that such contraptions will also increase your 'faffing' time when you get to a lift.
latest report
Hi guys, we have just launched the SNOWTĒD ski carrier to address the exact problems you were discussing - The SNOWTĒD is designed to be worn over your ski jacket and be part of your look! (NOT 'naff', and totally stylish!) Blush It literally takes less than a minute to assemble and remove your skis. And as it is on your all the time, you can use the ski carrier whenever you need it. We designed this product as we know the pain of carrying our ski gears about, especially when you are children!

Please check out our Kickstarter campaign page here. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/snowted/snowted-a-stylish-ski-carrier-for-effortless-alpine-fun.

Today is only the 2nd day of our campaign, and any feedback and advice on this product / campaign are highly welcomed!

Thank you!!
latest report
and here is a quick video explaining how SNOWTĒD works!
http://youtube.com/v/WwBsNU0anxU
snow conditions
Link not working. Price?

Might be useful if you have to walk some distance to/from the slopes. But on most bashes, this is not an issue. Toofy Grin

Not sure if I would want to wear it all day. No point in using it if you are leaving your skis in a rack.

Just the sort of thing you might put down when you take your jacket off for lunch, then forget to pick up.

I got some velcro ones a couple of years ago. Think they were £5. Carried them in my rucksack, but never used them.
ski holidays
If you'd have kicked off a new thread, I'd forgive you. All bright eye'd and bushy tailed, keen to promote your kickstarter. But no, you went and dragged this out of the archive, which means you must've searched for it somewhere, but obviously you didn't read it or you'd have seen that two other ski carriers over SIXTEEN YEARS, and both were shot down as "A bit pointless". If you'd have read any of the other posts about ski carriers anywhere on Snowheads, you'd have read the same "Bit Pointless" comment. At the very least you'd not be tainted by their failure to seize the market! Its like setting up a stand selling apples next to another man failing to sell apples, next to the tomb of a man who died on that very spot because he failed to sell any apples!

I digress... Please, feel free to jump in and justify a sticker price of $114 for a nylon strap?
snow report
Oh no Shocked Just no.

I'd have to wear a (branded?!) strap all the time when skiing?! Nope. Edit: I've just worked out what is most bothering me - the idea of whacking my hips and top of my legs constantly on my skis/bindings while walking. Ouch.

And why does your video show people skiing offpiste, but no one wearing a rucksack at any point? Is that because this would not be at all simple with a rucksack...?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 21-10-20 16:44; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Richard_Sideways, +1.

And $114?! Not a chance. Given people generally see the £5 ones as pointless, why do @SNOWTĒD think people will pay that price?!
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, maybe an idea whose time has come?
ski holidays
Yes very good points - that's why our carrier is lightweight and not in the way. It comes with a waist bag. So when it is not carrying skis, it carries all your ski essentials without the need to wear a backpack.

It is handy to have the carrier whenever you need it - in some big ski resorts, it takes 5 minutes' to walk from one ski lift to another! We tried the sling too and had the same problem - it stays in our backpack and are rarely got used.

Sorry here is the link again! Hope it works this time.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/snowted/snowted-a-stylish-ski-carrier-for-effortless-alpine-fun
snow report
Learning how to carry skis correctly (and effortlessly) is all part of the game. Kids get the hang of it easily after a few attempts and a few interventions here and there.

Anyone not strong enough to carry their own equipment probably needs to consider another sport, like TV watching.

I've lost count of the number of iterations of such devices I've seen at ski shows, in mags or mentioned on here. They all crash and burn.

Quote:
a sticker price of $114 for a nylon strap
well that is a total p155 take. I assume you arrived at that by taking the £60 rrp and adding the duty and shipping? At £9.99 it would be a novelty item that might find its way into a Christmas stocking (and NEVER get used) but that's the maximum.

Also, why ski around advertising the fact you aren't capable of managing your equipment? Cool, eh?

I'm out.
snow report
@fixx, but you get the nice carry bag to keep it in alongside all your essentials!

@SNOWTĒD, highly recommend you take down the video - your credit card with account and sort code details are visible!

snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, sorry I came across this discussion by chance and though I will jump in to ask some feedback and opinions. No bad intentions. Our product is intended to solve a problem for some. I understand it is not a problem for all hence the discussion. Appreciate all feedback your feedback though, will take on board constructively. Blush
ski holidays
SNOWTĒD wrote:
It comes with a waist bag. So when it is not carrying skis, it carries all your ski essentials without the need to wear a backpack.

You completely missed (or deliberately evaded) my point re. offpiste/rucksacks. Does your waistbag hold a shovel and probe? What exactly were people doing in your vide when skiing offpiste?
ski holidays
@extremerob, oh thanks for the reminder - It is an expired old card. No worries.
latest report
SNOWTĒD wrote:
@extremerob, oh thanks for the reminder - It is an expired old card. No worries.

As you wish - but you are aware your sort code and account number dont expire right - that is assuming you hold the same bank account? I'm pretty certain that one can ascertain your name and address if you're trading and registered in the UK, and i'm sure a fraudster is quite skilled in social engineering to get those details, posing as a buyer if they aren't publicly available - that with your account details will be nice to have. Anyway not my problem.
snow report
I make my own, have done for years. Couple of velcro ski straps, hook an old bag strap onto top and bottom, off you go. Folds up to nothing.
Everything else in a backpack.
snow report
@extremerob, I changed the bank a while ago, and the card numbers are no longer valid. But will blur it out in the video!
snow report
Holy feck that's a lot of effort and marketing vid for something unnecessary.

My main question though is how much of the price is set aside for lawsuits after the inevitable tit gash claims?

PS a simple sling loop is more than adequate

http://youtube.com/v/MCYKiL0Vizc
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy