Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trespass - Brand Building Research

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, Trespass is perfectly adequate as long as you don't plan on being out in bad weather for extended periods of time, or far off the beaten track.

It's a decent brand that I'd have no problem recommending to someone just starting out on skiing or snowboarding.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

So it doesn't say a lot for me that I've been out and bought Trespass

What it says, Megamum, is that you're not a gear snob. I have two Trespass jackets, bought in TK Maxx firstly because they were comfortable and fitted well, and were waterproof and breathable, second because they were £50. Both have been worn, turn and turn about, for two 12 week seasons, so far, and are fine. Been washed with the right stuff. I didn't buy Trespass trousers because they didn't fit me well. I bought a new jacket at the end of last season (low end of the Eider range, in Go Sport sale) basically because I was bored with the old ones and the colours were fading quite badly after such lengthy use. They were brilliant value "per wear" and are still in use.

However, do we really want to be giving advice to a marketing guy who, if he does his job right, will have Trespass jackets selling at full price and not at £50 in TKM? Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
Quote:

So it doesn't say a lot for me that I've been out and bought Trespass

What it says, Megamum, is that you're not a gear snob. I have two Trespass jackets, bought in TK Maxx firstly because they were comfortable and fitted well, and were waterproof and breathable, second because they were £50. Both have been worn, turn and turn about, for two 12 week seasons, so far, and are fine. Been washed with the right stuff. I didn't buy Trespass trousers because they didn't fit me well. I bought a new jacket at the end of last season (low end of the Eider range, in Go Sport sale) basically because I was bored with the old ones and the colours were fading quite badly after such lengthy use. They were brilliant value "per wear" and are still in use.

However, do we really want to be giving advice to a marketing guy who, if he does his job right, will have Trespass jackets selling at full price and not at £50 in TKM? Puzzled

I think if he manages to do that he'll be very good at the job. Trespass have their niche. If they try and play in another niche, they could lose their core business.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Right now, Trespass sells well among the old and the poor.

If it wants to expand into the young and the rich, then it is going to have to use a brandname without the word Trespass in it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold, are you saying that Trespass is très passé? wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold are you saying we are too youthful and too rich to buy Trespass?

If only you knew me better...or knew my bank manager!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh, well - decent gear or not that's what I've got and I'm not a 'gear snob' says pam w, this has to be a good thing Very Happy . If anyone sees me at MK I shall be there christening my new Trespass gear and you won't miss me:

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 31-05-07 16:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold, claims that
Quote:

Trespass sells well among the old and the poor

or amongst people with enough money, but too much sense, to buy an expensive jacket just because it's expensive? I seem to remember that Whitegold was telling us, back in the winter, that anyone without the latest carbon poles was a loser, though he (he has to be a "he") could not identify one characteristic which made them superior in use. Sad. But the companies who sell stuff to people who think that buying the "right things" will turn them into the "right people" must be thankful that there are plenty of them around.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, don't forget your boots!

pam w, as my dear old gran used to say: "a fool and his money are easily parted". Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Whitegold, claims that
Quote:

I seem to remember that Whitegold was telling us, back in the winter, that anyone without the latest carbon poles was a loser, though he (he has to be a "he") could not identify one characteristic which made them superior in use.

This is incorrect.

I clearly stated that carbon poles are lighter, thinner and easier to use. They are clear benefits wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Just taken delivery of 3 shirts from Joe Browns (not known for selling to the old - equivocal about the poor) and guess what - one of their check surf shirts is Trespass outdoor gear! Trespass could well exploit the "what the heck - if it works its cool" surfy approach more, and in the process make a middle aged old git (as my daughters said on sight of a Joe Browns parcel) like myself feel younger
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum wrote:
Oh, well - decent gear or not that's what I've got and I'm not a 'gear snob' says pam w, this has to be a good thing Very Happy . If anyone sees me at MK I shall be there christening my new Trespass gear and you won't miss me:

When I go skiing indoors I wear tracksuit bottoms a t-shirt and fleece. You may be a little hot all togged up it's only -2C or so and no wind.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum,
Socks and boots may help however warm the Trespass gear.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just checked and my jacket is a Trespass Radium too. I bought it (brand new) off a mate, who bought it from TK Maxx but was going to return it. I hate shopping so I said I'd have it. It's absolutely fine (apart from the hood which is rubbish and would fit Betty Boop), although not as waterproof as my trousers which are Gortex XCR. But then the jacket was £50.00 and the trousers would have been £180 (but were in the sale - half price - at Nevisport as they are size 10 NehNeh and the guy said they couldn't sell them). I guess, to a certain extent, you get what you pay for but I didn't really notice what brand either were. Water/windproofness, breathability, warmth and fit were what I was looking for.

Pic here. I am on the right. Just to show that they do make stuff a little more subtle (colourwise) than Megamum's Cool .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

people who think that buying the "right things" will turn them into the "right people"

Nice nutshell.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Whitegold, claims that
Quote:

or amongst people with enough money, but too much sense, to buy an expensive jacket just because it's expensive? I seem to remember that Whitegold was telling us, back in the winter, that anyone without the latest carbon poles was a loser, though he (he has to be a "he") could not identify one characteristic which made them superior in use. Sad. But the companies who sell stuff to people who think that buying the "right things" will turn them into the "right people" must be thankful that there are plenty of them around.

Surely anyone who doesn't have adjustable flicklock poles is a loser? wink And I got mine on sale in US$ so I qualify as thrifty too wink
snow report
Mind you although I've got thrifty jacket gear, it did leave me money spare to afford decent boots - I don't ski in hire ones or ebay cast offs. There are a lot of folks on here who, if you say what shall I spend my hard earned cash on will say 'boots' first. That's why the likes of Trespass and Dare2Be are out there - so that we can enjoy our boots whilst staying dry on a limited budget. B.t.w. maggi, I'm not known for being subtle!!
ski holidays
Megamum, I presume from the above photo that your boots are "Brand X". wink
ski holidays
OK folks, I hold up my hands and admit that I didn't realise I'd leave myself open to ridcule by not sporting my boots in the photo. If you notice I'm going to get cold hands, cold head and snow in my eyes too. Also, my boots will rub my feet as I'm not wearing socks either!! Laughing
snow conditions
Megamum, bah, how boringly sensible. Were you not tempted by Prada's all-in-one leather confection then?
ski holidays
Lizzard,
Quote:

boringly sensible

Puzzled From some of the comments raised here I didn't think bright orange quite qualified in the strictly 'boringly sensible' category.

I don't think Prada all-in-one leather confection was quite up to 'carrying me off'. Though I have a matched set of red, white and blue motorcycling leathers and matching helmet and gloves (teemed with black boots though). See.......I'm really quite the little 'colour fashion guru' of the action sport arenas Cool
snow report
Megamum, never mind the suit... that carpet's gotta go!
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, OK, I'll let mum know - its in her room not mine - thankfully rolling eyes !!
latest report
Megamum, If it's your mum's it's OK. But don't let the designers at Trespass see it or the same pattern will be on the slopes in 2009 for sure.

Good news... puke-Orange is now a bit racey again thanks to the Porsche 911 GT3 RS so if you snip out a Porsche badge and superglue it over the Trespass badge you could easily quadruple the value of your investment. It really is all about brand you see.
snow conditions
as usual - great insights, thank-you all. You've provided a very interesting range of viewpoints that my creative team have already starting mulling over to help produce the stimulus material we're putting into research. Will keep you posted as things develop - I respect your thoughts, cheers Very Happy
snow report
If your kit does what you want, then it is good kit.

I tend to pay a bit for mine but then I can wear it for years and years so you have to go a bit basic on the colours
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:

The Team Sainsbury ski uniform by any chance ?
ski holidays
Trespass is a two bob brand. Nothing wrong with that. There is a gap in the market now that Rodeo is not available in the UK.

However, it is probably best to stick to that area of the market rather than attempt to capture the high mark-up area with the same brand.

People who pay top dollar will justify it with various reasons but they will not want to see the same label on bargain basement gear. They may not admit this of course - even to themselves.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most people here seem to have hit the nail on the head. Trespass is really good kit for the money, often embarassing some of its more expensive competitors which tend to have similar features but at a more expensive price point sometimes far more expensive- Does anyone here ski in Killy.

That said I also agree with Masque there is far too much marketing hype which makes people feel they need a jacket with absolutely everything. Every pocket needs a specific purpose (a goggle pocket, a lift pass pocket, a radio/telephone pocket) why can't we just have pockets to put your stuff in. Then every ski jacket these days needs a powder skirt. Well I've been skiing on piste, off piste, heli skiing and in extremely cold and horrible conditions and despite all of my jackets having powder skirts I've never once used them - it's too much hassle.

I suppose my point is that a good jacket is a good jacket - I'll be honest I would never by Trespass (and I can't honestly say why not - I suppose you get some comfort from spending a reasonable amount of money on a product) but you don't always need to spend £400 on a jacket - a couple of hundred is more than adequate for anyone!!
ski holidays
dme wrote:
Every pocket needs a specific purpose (a goggle pocket, a lift pass pocket, a radio/telephone pocket) why can't we just have pockets to put your stuff in.

Have to confess to liking 'dedicated' pockets. The lift pass pocket on the left sleeve is useful in hands-free resorts, and the inside pocket I have in one jacket is phone/compact camera size. Very useful as it helps keep the battery fairly warm, and means the phone or pocket doesn't bounce around inside the pocket as you bounce down the mountain. I can live without a goggles pocket, preferring my head as the best place to store them Smile
ski holidays
dg3 wrote:
as usual - great insights, thank-you all. You've provided a very interesting range of viewpoints that my creative team have already starting mulling over to help produce the stimulus material we're putting into research. Will keep you posted as things develop - I respect your thoughts, cheers Very Happy

Donation to snowheads for the free focus group we've given you?
snow conditions
dme wrote:
That said I also agree with Masque there is far too much marketing hype which makes people feel they need a jacket with absolutely everything.

It is not hype. It is human nature.

Global consumers, particularly males, love technology. They want their products to be overspecced. It makes them feel safe (just in case) and superior (better than you).

Equally, suppliers like technology. It helps them charge extra for their goods. It sets them apart from rivals.
ski holidays
fatbob, absolutely... especially when you consider this: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/specials/rich_list/rich_list_search/?urllink=http://www.timesonline.co.uk/richlist/person/0,,47614,00.html

£105 million net worth off the back of cheap ski wear. A few years back the brothers shared a salary cheque of £24 million alone. Moral of the story = flog cheap ski wear and adorn it with technobabble.
snow conditions
Fat face is another object lesson in how you can essentially sell cheap stuff at high margins to non price sensitive consumers. From a ski bum start-up (at least that's the legend - is it the same as the eBay Pez story?) to virtually "owning" a big segment of 20s-40s commuter belt leisurewear from what I see around.
snow report
Quote:

The Team Sainsbury ski uniform by any chance ?

Dale Goldsmith, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I am currently working for an operator whose uniform is blue and orange. It's also designed for staff working on the Med, not in the Alps in May. I may have to invest in one of those suits if the sun doesn't come out soon.
snow report
My main Trespass jacket has a powder skirt, a mobile phone pocket,a goggles pocket and one outside the zip which is ideal for an MP3 player, as well as a couple of other pockets. I leave goggles on my helmet but I always use the mobile phone and MP3 pockets and fasten the powder skirt when I can be bothered. I wear my hands free lift pass on an elastic round my neck, under my top layer, because the card reader is sometimes on the right, sometimes on the left. Also because I change jackets I always leave my pass on a dedicated hook on the bookcase, rather than in a jacket pocket, having once found myself at the bottom of our slope iin the wrong jacket, without it. I like having a good range of pockets, and always using them for the same things; saves faff. But they don't have to cost hundreds of pounds. By the way, where do Trespass mainly sell their full price gear? They can't start off in TK Maxx!
snow conditions
Megamum, Think your priorities are entierly correct. Would rather get good boots than a "carlos fandango" jacket anyday. Living in France I cant beat decathlon for value,just have to get in quick at the start of the season. Still using an old pair of very commfy C&A sallopettes though mrs GF said last holiday that they will have to go

If Tresspass want to enter the high revenue end of the market then agree with others that they need to launch a seperate brand name and keep the tresspas link hidden for as long as possible
latest report
Gilberts Fridge, got it in one. Use old, serviceable gear and use the savings to buy an apartment!
snow conditions
Late to the table but thought I'd stick my oar in... instead of trying to pitch up the market - how about exploring the horizontal market - building a really cool brand for kids (not aware of one) I mean the littlies not teens, or for ladies maybe. I know as a man in his 40s I am fascinated by the techie mumbo jumbo - love looking at all the brochures etc, my missus will probably be more interested in skis, boots, trousers and jacket matching. Don't want to be flamed for patronising lady snowheads, just know from personal experience that in general they tend to be a little interested in that type of thing. Ease of removal in the loo versus than performance at -30 sort of puts things into perspective. Maybe tie in with some manufacturers who don't include clothing as part of their product range. Bit of cross-selling never did anyone any harm. With kids stuff - extra safety features always sell with parents, for the kids - flashing lights, works on shoes & scooters. Anyway, rambling over...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy