Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1 Ski Instructor

Poster: A snowHead
spyderjon wrote:
It's a real pi$$er for ASSI's loosing the 'trainee' exemption, especially at so short notice. I could have accepted May 09 as a deadline as it would have given me two seasons to get my plans/finances sorted etc if I'd wanted to progress

Couldn't agree more.

Do I continue with plans for ASSI this year or now wait and change to BASI, knowing that it will be after May08 before being able to afford (both in terms of time and money) the next level.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Everyont I know still uses the 3-2-1 despite BASI's best efforts to go towards the words!
Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski wrote:
This proposed system of numbers/names is totally potty! What about all of us with certificates for "Grade 1" - we had to work very hard for a very long time and pay a lot of money to BASI to boot to get them - it will now mean a trainee, trainee!

Once upon a time there were
Grade 3 - Assistant ski instructor
Grade 2 - Ski instructor
Grade 1 - Sli teacher

A grade 4 would be simple - even if it is the other way round to everyone else.

x7, I try to avoid the use of the word "instructor" wherever possible. I do consider myself a teacher or a coach if you prefer. snowHead

If your cert says "Grade 1" then you'll be OK because a Trainee is "Level 1" but your confusion demonstrates perfectly what I said above and if even you are confused, we can be certain that a great many others will be.

It's interesting what you say about regarding yourself a teacher or coach rather than an instructor. I'm sure this attitude has a role to play in your healthy reputation around here but I expect that most people still think of you as a 'ski instructor' so to the wider world the difference is really just one of semantics.

For a grading system to rely on such semantic vagaries to distinguish between a trainee and fully qualified instructor/teacher is, as you say, potty.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I could be wrong here but it could be that BASI is admitting defeat and going back to a numbering system and this a a subtle way for them to conform to the rest of the world.

if "trainee" is now a Level 1 Instructor and "Instructor" is level 2 Instructor take it a step further and perhaps their plan is to rename Ski Teacher ISIA as a "level 3" and ISTD a "level 4" ?

this would bring BASI in line with PSIA and Canada and may finally make some sense.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman wrote:
Within 6 months there will also be a new coaching scheme; BASC (British Association of Snowsport Coaches) with Level 1 for club coaches & Level 2 for Head coaches

Reading the BASI newsletter they also state that there will be eventually 4 levels of Coach which will be in line with the Instructor levels.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Clear as mud for the punter! rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret wrote:
Reading the BASI newsletter they also state that there will be eventually 4 levels of Coach which will be in line with the Instructor levels.

Actually, to align it with CSCF Levels 1 - 4 NehNeh (as the CSCF will be delivering the courses)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight, sounds more likely i recon your right wink

laundryman, if they do go for a 4 level instructor rating that is similar to the rest of the world that would be a good thing and clarify a very confusing picture.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How would the BASI levels 1-4 match up to other qualification systems? Would a BASI Level 4 (old Grade 1) be similar in standard to CSIA IV for example?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, getting carried away here. There is no proposal (at present to introduce a BASI Level 3 or BASI Level 4.

Just Level 1, Level 2, Ski Teacher, ISTD, Trainer.
Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight wrote:
rob@rar, getting carried away here. There is no proposal (at present to introduce a BASI Level 3 or BASI Level 4.

Just Level 1, Level 2, Ski Teacher, ISTD, Trainer.
Shocked

Oops, getting ahead of myself! Makes a change from falling behind my skis...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
veeeight, rob@rar, I am only speculating on the extension of the new "levels" but it does make sense of an other wise very confused picture as you rightly point out
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From BASI's exemption list, other countries systems and equivalence

Australia
Level 1 = Instructor
Level 2 = Ski Teacher ISIA
Level 3 = International Ski Teacher Diploma

Canada
CSIA I (CASI) = Trainee Instructor
CSIA II (CASI) = Instructor
CSIA III = Ski Teacher ISIA
CSIA IV = International Ski Teacher Diploma

USA
PSIA Level 1 = Trainee
PSIA Level 2 = Instructor
PSIA Level 3 = Ski Teacher ISIA

France
1st Cycle
2nd Cycle = Instructor
3rd Cylce = Ski Teacher ISIA
National = International Ski Teacher Diploma
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well, if they want to change it around to fit in with everyone else, they should just do it, and not faff around with "levels" and "grades" and so on. rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
Should I now consider doing the new Level 1 course on plastic/indoors this summer or autumn, then going for the Level 2 assessment during the winter?

I would say you are far better to do it in the Alps. You will get far more out of the course from a personal performance point of view which will help on the 2 week assessment.
snow report
Had a reply from SSE. At present the SSE ASSI & CI qualifications will still be valid and running as normal, until an agreement between BASI & SSE has been finalised. I would imagine that to mean some sort of equivilence course, as SSE do not use the BASI central theme.
snow report
Spyderman, Cant see how there will be an equivalence course for ASSI as BASI is stopping exemptions so quickly in May 2008. My guess is that SSE will carry on with the CI and still offer the ASSI for peeps who dont need an on snow license. I wonder if that is one of the reasons SSE voted against the snowsports modernisation programme as reported in the BASI news.
ski holidays
skimottaret,
I have had it confirmed from SSE that at present the CI & ASSI will continue, but, and a very big but, they do not want to promote competition between SSE ASSI & BASI Level 1.
It is obvious from that, that there are plans afoot for some sort of equivilence and merging of the 2 qualifications.
They have said that an anouncement would be made as soon as any changes are made.
snow report
Statement From Snowsport England Regarding BASI News

All organisations within the British Snowsports community recognise the need for close co-operation and co-ordination of activities. In order to further these relationships discussions have been held between the partner organisations under the banner of modernisation.

As a result of these discussions a proposal was put to the appropriate organisations in November 2006. Though the proposal was not approved it was felt that the principles of the project, especially the aims to introduce centrally co-ordinated membership and coach award schemes between the Home Nation Governing Bodies were desirable and discussions should continue.

In February 2007 BASI approached Snowsport England (the UK's other internationally recognised awarding body) to progress closer working, and outlined their intention to develop instructing awards specific to artificial ski slopes and coaching awards. Snowsport England recognises that it is not in the interest of the sport for organisations to compete with each other in promoting awards and informal discussions have been held between SSE and BASI in this regard.

The latest issue of BASI News has been brought to our attention. As a result of the contents of this publication we believe that it is important to clarify the position regarding the discussions and negotiations between all of the UK awarding bodies.

Ø As yet have been no changes to the Snowsport England Coach Award Scheme as a result of these discussions.

Ø Snowsport England has made no agreement to cease or change our current award scheme.

Ø Snowsport England has not received any letter or indeed any indication that recognition of our ASSI as an exemption for the BASI foundation course will cease.

Ø Snowsport England has agreed to provide nominated technical personnel to assist and drive forward the process.

Ø Snowsport England has requested the proposed terms of any working agreement between themselves and BASI, these are yet to be received.

Snowsport England will continue to work with BASI and the other Home Nations to seek a resolution which is best for the membership and the sport, however until such time where negotiations have reached a point where formal proposals are available, we will continue to operate as we currently are, and continue supporting our members and slopes. Snowsport England membership will receive factual and up to date information as and when it becomes available.

If you have any queries please email info (at) snowsportengland.org.uk

Trish Chalk
Chief Executive

Posted on Snowheads by Stewart Smith - Snowsport England Chairman
snow conditions
escmatters, thanks for posting that.

Quote:

Ø Snowsport England has not received any letter or indeed any indication that recognition of our ASSI as an exemption for the BASI foundation course will cease.

it is a bit odd that BASI would state in their members newsletter that ASSI exemptions will cease for courses taken after July 07 without notifying SSE formally of their intentions before publication. Are the two organisations collaborating effectively?
ski holidays
escmatters, Welcome to snowHeads. snowHead Thank you for your post outlining SSE's standing.

Quote:

I am somewhat confused, as BASI are stating quite clearly in BASI News that as from May 2008 ASSI will not provide exemption from Level 1 or Trainee Course. Surely BASI would have made SSE aware of their intentions in this regard? Puzzled

Quote:

Snowsport England has made no agreement to cease or change our current award scheme.

Surely, it would now make sense, to finally come together to form one simple qualification path for UK Instructors, rather than having yet another governing body offering yet another qualification?

In my view an agreement should be reached as soon as possible, some sort of equivilence sorted out between ASSI & BASI Level 1. It is clear that BASI are going ahead with the qualification anyway, with or without SSE or SSS. Better to come onboard rather than have a total meltdown of the current ASSI system.

Why are SSE not following this obvious path?
ski holidays
Good grief!! Why the hell can't these organisations sort out this confusing mess. It's not rocket science, surely? Sounds like people putting their own territoriality first, and common sense a very distant second.
snow report
rob@rar, I'm totally with you. I'm trying to train a group of 8 would be Instructors at the moment. They ask me what are their options with regard to qualifications, I try and tell them, they can't believe it is so confusing and there are so many governing bodies. It's farcical. Shocked Confused
snow conditions
Hemel Ski Centre in association with BASI have decided to run an initial set of 2 BASI Level 1 Instructor courses.
The first will be Wed 26th September through to Sun 30th September.
The second will be Sat 10th November through to Wed 14th November.
snow report
Spyderman, Can I teach skiing in France if I do this course Laughing
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Noooooooo Laughing
latest report
boredsurfin, ouch my head still hurts trying to figure that out and it still is not clear. Smile
latest report
skimottaret, rolling eyes It's easy, are you a French Natioanl?
yes,
then you can teach in France wink Laughing

I'm joking! I know it's much more complicated and that France has qualified instructor's from many nations etc etc etc

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 6-06-07 10:02; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, dont let easiski hear you say that... NehNeh
latest report
skimottaret, See the small print Laughing
snow report
Spyderman, can you PM me details of your course as and when as a guy at brentwood was talking about doing foundation or ASSI and couldnt make up his mind....
snow report
boredsurfin, yeah but i also noticed you edited the small print Razz
snow report
skimottaret, Laughing Laughing
snow report
The statement now up on SSE web site http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/statement_from_snowsport_england_regarding_basi_news-1974.html would suggest that it is not as 'official' as BASI would have us believe. Puzzled
snow conditions
jonesa, welcome to snowHeads. Thanks for the link to the SSE website.
ski holidays
jonesa, Welcome to snowHeads. snowHead

I noticed today that escmatters, was viewing 'The Piste' section, but failed to make a further posting on this matter, in respect to my questions, in response to their Statement.

BASI have clearly made a decision to proceed with their own award and have already organised 2 courses at my home slope.

There is clearly either a total lack of communication, misunderstanding, incompetance or a mixture of the 3, between SSE & BASI.

As I stated earlier, this will result in the demise of the ASSI system as provided by SSE & SSS, as without an agreement with BASI, with regard to exemptions, the ASSI has no career progression.
Can you see anyone following the SSE system to a dead end, when you can have the BASI one for the same price?
latest report
All very unsatisfactory I agree. Being a member of both organisations I would like to get to the bottom of it rather than take sides at this stage, although I have a shrewed idea where the main problem lies.

I doubt that a BASI ASSI will come at the same price as a SSE ASSI.

Bear in mind that many people do not wish to progress beyond ASSI, if they are working on a voluntary basis or for only a few hours a week to suplement a main career. The BASI route has always been the way forward for anyone seeking a career in the ski industry, without necessarily getting involved with artificial slopes. All that is needed is a smooth transitional arrangement for those who, having experienced working at an artificial centre, wish to make a career change towards skiing as a career rather than a hobby or sideline business.

BASI is about looking after the professional interests of ski and snowboard instructors; SSE is about serving the needs of individual skiers and boarders at all levels.
ski holidays
jonesa, I am a member of BASI, SSS & CSIA. I was a member of SSE until 2 years ago.
Quote:

BASI is about looking after the professional interests of ski and snowboard instructors; SSE is about serving the needs of individual skiers and boarders at all levels.

SSE has not served me very well over the last few years, conflicting information, different stories depending on who you speak to when I need information. So much so that I gave up on them.
Don't get me wrong BASI is far from perfect, the website for instance is terrible, but we're told that is being relaunched in the Autumn.
THey should all take a leaf out of the CSIA book. Over 30,000 members, everyone is well informed, no confusion, well run and totally professional.

Quote:

I doubt that a BASI ASSI will come at the same price as a SSE ASSI.

Although not totally fixed in terms of price yet, the Hemel BASI Level 1, 5 day course, is going to be about £300. which is pretty much the same as SSS ASSI.
ski holidays
Spyderman, The SSE system does not end with the ASSI. The steps are:

Club Instructor

ASSI

Artificial Slopes Coach (ASC) - http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/artificial_slope_coach-394.html

There are then two further Coach qualifications, one aimed at coaching racers, the other aimed at coaching recreational skiers and instructor training:

Alpine Performance Coach (APC) - http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/alpine_performance_coach-395.html

Alpine Development Coach (ADC) - http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/development_coach-393.html
ADC's may also apply for the IVSI license - http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/coaching_officials_ivsi-1738.html

As jonesa, points out the SSE system is aimed at instructors and coaches working mainly in the UK at ski clubs and Artificial Slopes.
latest report
david@mediacopy, APC level 2 also qualifies for the IVSI licence.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy