Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Safety Issue re Marker Bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
EU Commission warns consumers about dangerous ski bindings:

Only just heard about this (saw it on Epicski) & don't think it's been posted here before:

On 5 February, the European Commission's Directorate General for Health and Consumer Protection (DG SANCO) issued a warning to all EU national consumer authorities regarding a serious risk of injury posed by a set of dangerous ski bindings found on the UK market, as pointed out by UK authorities.
The notification concerns Marker Demo ski bindings, model M1 11.0 D, item number 6778F1SE.
The bindings are affixed to Apache Outlaws, Recons, Crossfires, Stryker and Moto Cross K2 skis.
The notified bindings present a serious risk of injuryto consumers because in certain circumstances the lever can release when kicked or knocked by the user, allowing the boot fittings to move on their track. This may result in injury due to an untimely release of the boots from the skis. Four accidents in the U.S. and one in the UK have been reported until now. The product originates from Germany and is sold at least in the UK and Ireland. The Commission has asked Member States to monitor their markets to check whether this product is on sale in other EU countries.
The ski binding is adaptable to a variety of boot sizes for use primarily in rental applications. The adjustable front and back boot fittings are locked into place on a track by way of a lever at the rear of the mounting.

The notification from the UK authorities was sent using the Rapid Alert System for non-food Products (Rapex). This system enables Member States and the European Commission to rapidly exchange information on unsafe products and actions being taken to remove them from the market.
Further information on the Rapex system and for other notifications (updated every Friday):
http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/dyna/rapex/rapex_archives_en.cfm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Sad (not completely surprised, but shocked that it has come to this)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was a posting in Jan 2007 about a recall in the US on Marker rental bindings....

el Hen wrote @ Tue Jan 16, 07 16:13
Marker has announced a recall of some of its bindings used by rental shops in US ski resorts. The recall has come about after some Marker bindings, found on K2 skis, have unlocked during skiing. The company are going to modify the bindings by inserting a pin and nut at the back of the binding.

Your notificatoon also refers to :-
The ski binding is adaptable to a variety of boot sizes for use primarily in rental applications. The adjustable front and back boot fittings are locked into place on a track by way of a lever at the rear of the mounting.

Probably the same.
Thanks though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probed further, apparently it related to Marker bindings used by rental shops. el Hen posting linked to this......

Article at: http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Accessories/U6T3P3R5
Stated:-
Marker Ski Bindings Recalled
By David Richards | Tuesday | 16/01/2007
Ski binding technology is being questioned after Ski rental shops across the USA have been forced to recall Marker bindings after skiers found the bindings failing while skiing.
Several ski shop owners in Vail Colorado have been forced to withdraw K2 ski's with Marker bindings from their shelves after Marker announced a recall of the bindings used by rental shops. One ski shop refused to rent ski's with Marker bindings citing that they are dangerous.
At Vail Sports where I had hired the K2 ski's with Marker bindings a spokesperson said "Marker have withdrawn their bindings for a modification as skiers reported that the ski's were unlocking during skiing. This will cost them a lot of money". The modification includes the insertion of a pin and nut at the rear of the binding.
During a skiing holiday to Vail I witnessed firsthand the danger that the failure of these bindings can place a skier in. During a downhill run down Vail's steep back bowls the bindings unlocked throwing me forward.
Later the bindings failed to lock down resulting in me having to walk 2 miles to a lift. Attempts by 3 people to get the bindings to lock down so that one could ski failed. This is the first time in 16 years of owning Marker bindings that I have witnessed a failure. The worst part was getting 15 miles back to Vail Village carrying a pair of skis.
Marker claim that they design of the most recognised lines of ski gear in the market today. Marker's heritage is firmly entrenched in the winter sports business, from the brand's meager beginnings in 1952, when the first safety ski binding was introduced.

All suitably vague though!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
>> downhill run down Vail's steep back bowls

Have they opened a new back bowl with steep runs then Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, BSB. The ones around Lovers Leap aren't exactly shallow... Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

damn, must have missed them last time I Was there Sad Only steep bits I found were so short, that 10-15 turns and they were done!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

damn, must have missed them last time I Was there Sad Only steep bits I found were so short, that 10-15 turns and they were done!!

There's a few runs in BSB which could be done in 10-15 turns. Not necessarily with your skis staying on the snow all the time. Lovers Leap could probably be done that way, but your turns would be AOT.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy