Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The best piece of skiing advice you had last season

Poster: A snowHead
What was the best tip, drill, piece of advice did you get last season from an instructor? What problem did it address and why was it so effective? We are looking for Eureka moments Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flop.

Can't say why, go and get Easiskied yourself
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was told to imagine I'm diving into a swimming pool as I reach the mid-point of a (supposedly) carved turn. I'm still an old-fashioned skid-round the turns skier and desperately trying to carve. This helped me keep my weight evenly distributed between my skis, and to stand up straight before sinking down out of the turn. Don't think I've explained that very well, but it just felt right, and gave me some feeling for allowing the skis to do the work of the turn, instead of throwing my body all over the place.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"Go home, you've had enough to drink."
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Focus on lifting the outside edge of your skis.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
See how big an angle you can make with your inside ski and the snow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tip
Slow the transition right down Helped get my ILE transitions dialled in ... by slowing them right down I could really feel the leg extension and pronation of foot and adjust relaxation of other leg ... (We also worked on speeding them up and mixing them... but the slow right down lets me get them dialled)

Drill
Fastmans balance exercises for me Help me dial in my balance and get myself sorted out a bit... I need a lot more work to get really comfy with these but I can see these being a staple diet... Helped along in this task by Easiski who uses similar balance drills...
This stuff is what I need if I am to become really independent in my skiing - something to get my sense of skis/feet/body sorted
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't let yourself get too anal about it. Rule 1: enjoy the ride.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Get down here you pecker-head

Coach shall remain un-named wink

Overcame the problem of me not going anywhere for a while whilst standing on top of a cliff band in breakable crust pointing the wrong direction! Embarassed snowHead

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 28-05-07 12:56; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:

It's a good thing there was no charge for that one NehNeh Glad it helped.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight, Do you sniff you own farts too? Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had more instruction this year than the rest of my skiing combined and i improved a lot and was trying to think what bits really made a difference...

out of loads of images, tips, drills a couple of standouts were (more to come):

Try to get your ribs to "pinch" your hips. This thought really helped to improve angulation and kept my shoulders parallel to the mountain instead of banking and skidding out of turns.

Inhale while extending body upwards/exhale when flexing into turns. really helped develop rythym and got me more dynamic with up and down movements. I used to be very low and static in turns, "parking and riding". thinking i was really smooth but in reality very stiff and skiddy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know it's an obvious one but . . . Leaning forward, my Swiss Ski Instructor in Murren physically pushed me into the correct position and what a difference that made to my skiing, I now have so much more control and confidence.

From the Phil Smith Snoworks course - Pushing - hard work though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bits of advice:
1) Extend legs as you enter the turn, allow them to retract as you feel the pressure build up through the second half (from Phil Smith's race training). Obvious really, but I'd sort of been doing it the other way around to push the body out of the turn, whereas getting the push in earlier gets your body leading the turn rather than following it. Get the pressure distribution through the turn right and you minimise the chances of the ski overpowering the grip the surface can offer and breaking away into a slide.
2) Open the ankles (fore/aft direction) through the turn, close them as you come out of it (Pete Silver-Gillespie - particularly with reference to of-piste bumpy terrain). Corrects my (and I guess many others') major fault of being chucked out the back of the skis coming out of the turn. I find it really hard to overcome the reflex reaction of standing up and pushing back from any peceived danger, so trying to put on the brake. When I can get myself to do this though it works really well.
3) Angle the ankles (roll direction) into the turn. This is aparrently what euangoneskiing mentioned at the EoSB and veeeight has been banging on about (sorry..."emphasising") since - but I'd twigged it a bit earlier, clearly from some other input I've now forgotten. When you do it the ski edges bite, the ski bends and you carve the turn, when you don't you either tend to slide it with too much sideways pressure, or the ski doesn't bend and you don't make anything like the radius of turn you expect (and need). Whether this is a genuine movement at the ankles or just a mental trigger to get you to actually angle the skis with the appropriate knee and shin movement is a subject still under active "discussion" Wink . However it works...it does.

None of the above are really dialled in yet, but when I can remember to do them they make a huge difference. 1) and 3) are primarily related to high-performance carving (and hence racing), 2) is probably of more general application.

Drill
Carving on the outside edge of the ski - either as part of a full run on a single foot, or part of a sequence of Charleston or White-pass turns (single foot stuff suggested a couple of years back by my club coach, and is an easiski favourite, turning exercises first given me by Dave Peek on a Snoworks course). Only really works if you get all three of the above points right, otherwise the ski just goes sideways. Build up to it by running straight first of all (which will probably be enough to cope with if your sideways balance isn't there yet), then progressively increase the amount of tip from the ankle and knee. If your ankle is too open fore-aft you'll probably have your weight too far back and the ski will head sideways rather than stay with an engaged edge.

Oh and piece of advice #4 (repeatedly from Phil Smith): Stop thinking about drills and think more about actually skiing!. That one clearly still needs a lot of work Embarassed Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Turn before that tree.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
Try to get your ribs to "pinch" your hips.

That's an interesting one. It's not something I've thought about consciously, but when I get to the end of a run that I think "ooh that went well" it mostly coincides with getting that feeling. It think it does depend a fair though bit on a) the amount of grip the surface will give, b) the speed you're going c) the radius of turn you're tying to make, and of course d) how stiff you are to start with. I was told off by Phil for way overdoing it in our GS training, as I'd picked up the habit of doing it a lot from slalom turns on dryslopes - where you have a) less grip, b) lower speeds and c) tighter turns, all of which sort of require the CoM to be nearer the outside of the turn (otherwise you slide out or just topple over inside the turn Embarassed ). If you have a reasonably broad stance and are making GS-speed and radius turns you probably get a better balance by more banking and less angulation at the hips/waist. This seems to me to be a good example of where the skill is having the ability to work out which tool in your toolbox works best in the conditions you happen to be experiencing at the time - use the right horse for the right course (or hammer for nail if you prefer less mixed metaphors).
snow report
forgot one

Drive new inside hip through when relaxing old outside leg doing ILE's .... somehow that works well for me... and when I watch the freeskiing videos from guay etc and especially Nyberg I can actually feel the movement of my clothes doing that movement
snow conditions
The instructor saying 'look at me'
latest report
a) Skiing ice with dull edges or superfat skis:

Time the OLR so that the CoM crosses skis at fall line. Then RELAX.

b) There is such a thing as too much plate. Shocked Embarassed

c) Don't Get Greedy In Trees
Don't Get Greedy In Trees

at least without -one- person uphill that can fish you out of the tree well. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
"Learn to snowboard" Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
"Go to Homewood for a day"

(apart from that, I think the pushing the ski through the arc thing helped)
ski holidays
veeeight wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

It's a good thing there was no charge for that one NehNeh Glad it helped.

Smile I'll be working on it from the start of next season. It's one of only a few mental triggers that has immediately worked for me.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
iece of advice did you get last season from an instructor?

If you are going to La Rosiere, take your walking boots and wind cheater...
latest report
go to the gym
snow conditions
With regards to landing a 360 - "Its all in your head, visualise it"
snow report
Don't assume the guided ski club know where they are going...so pack that small rope...!!!!
snow report
Stay in bed. It's grim on the hill . . .
snow conditions
Best drill hmmmmmmm...... had to be 4.1x8.5
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stand on the outside edge
snow report
Mine was simply "Cliff!"
snow report
hyweljenkins, Fine advice there Laughing
snow report
bend the kness going up the rollers straighten the legs going down. don't forget to repeat for the next one.
latest report
keep your pelvis forward.

an exercise to help with this is on all "easy" terrain i would cross my arms behind my back with the poles pointing upward, skiing in this position kept my hips forward and very quickly showed me when i was out of position.
snow report
skimottaret, earth calling Mars... wink
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
keep your pelvis forward.

an exercise to help with this is on all "easy" terrain i would cross my arms behind my back with the poles pointing upward, skiing in this position kept my hips forward and very quickly showed me when i was out of position.

One of the drills I was given last season was to ski with my hands crossed behind my back (although no poles were involved). Helped me get to a more upright, forward stance. It's something I need to work on as my 'neutral' position is still too flexed.
latest report
iblair wrote:
go to the gym

Is Mark Sumner still at Message Labs, we used to work together in the New Technolgies group at QA Consulting.
snow report
davidof wrote:

Is Mark Sumner still at Message Labs, we used to work together in the New Technolgies group at QA Consulting.

He is indeed, and doing very well, although I don't really know him
ski holidays
laundryman, can look a bit like holding an antennea i guess wink rob@rar, sounds like the same drill as you had, i just do it during free skiing when ive got nowhere to put the poles to get that upright forward feeling.
ski holidays
skimottaret, actually, I always think that when I see people in a tuck with their poles pointing ludicrously skywards!
snow report
laundryman, on this drill though you try to stay very upright and hips forward, not in a tuck...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy