Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best BBQ Charcoal??

Poster: A snowHead
Our home Barbeque is this one:

http://www.shop-com.co.uk/op/~Outback_Omega_100_Barbecue-prod-42304368-56002501?sourceid=309

I can't find our camping one - I might have to take a piccy - if I get one I'll show you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the restaurant grade thing is just an indication of higher quality. We bought the ordinary stuff and although it's way better than those funny little briquette things, it's not quite as good.

Back to the core topic - how can anyone NOT like barbeques?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch,
Quote:

how can anyone NOT like barbeques?

I've already mentioned plenty of things I don't like about barbecues (how DO you spell it Puzzled ). What's to like? I guess the taste of woodsmoke in the food is pleasant enough, but not too often. Take the fillet steak you mentioned: I like mine done on one of those heavy, cast iron, ridged griddles, brushed with the tiniest amount of good olive oil: the result is that the meat's own flavour predominates. And slapping some steaks on one of those griddles and cooking them on the hob is an awful lot less hassle than fiddling about with any sort of barbecue.

Still, I must confess to quite liking the odd barbecued, carbonised, carcinogenic sausage occasionally! wink And I've used disposable barbecues for some fine beach picnics too - when there is no better cooking facility to hand.

Hey ho - bring on the goats... Ooh,that reminds me, I keep forgetting to tell Megamum that my local Italian does the most fantastic goat stew. Really, really yummy. Dunno about barbecued goat... Confused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I guess we won't ever see Latchigo, at a snowHead 's Barbeque!

I think barbeques are great if they're properly done and the food is superbly cooked. They are also handy when self catering as a extra way of cooking the meat when camping with only a couple of gas burners to use.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, I think more and more people are finding out how delicious goat meat is. I love the chops done in the oven until the fat is slightly crisp around the edges - knocks lamb into a cocked hat, esp. as we don't have to pay through the nose for it Laughing I'm fattening 4 male kids this year Toofy Grin .

In terms of barbeque-ing it its fairly fat free so works better in a marinade, I've done the belly choped into 'spare ribs' and also made kebabs from the leg meat.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, ah yes, a griddle, no issue with those at all, yum!

Goat though? I had a goat curry in Camden about 4 years ago and even though ot was touted as their speciality, signature Jamaican dish, etc. it was rank. Stringy, chewy, gristly and just all the thing I don't find attractive in a nice cut of meat.

The donkey stew we had up the Guglielmina at New Year wasn't bad at all though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, There's goat and then there's chevon - less than a year old, milk fed, easy life, truely tender and totally delicious - if you're ever in the country, pay me a visit for Sunday lunch - I guarantee to convert you!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, My local Carrefour only seems to have the one grade of lumpwood charcoal, but it seems to work just fine for me. IMHO the flavour of the BBQ is not just fat burning, the charcoal definitelty adds to the taste. I can be up and cooking in less than the time it takes to get everything out of the kitchen. I have done 4 x legs of lamb with liberal amounts of rosemary, takes 3 hours but that is not a problem with local good quality red wine at 1 euro a litre Toofy Grin That is the rosemary growing just behind the red BBQ Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just bought a new "outback" 3 burner gas bbq. Its exactly the same flavour as the old charcoal bbq. Gas is the way forward! when your hungry you gotta eat, not wait around wondering if the dam thing is hot enough to cook!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidpratt15,
Quote:

not wait around wondering if the dam thing is hot enough to cook

That's what Beer is for Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, nuff said!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidpratt15, We were quite impressed with the quality of our Outback barbeque - good thick metal - we hope it will last a long while - you sound as though you have one of the larger ones.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, done!

Dypcdiver, I agree totally. But 1€ a litre? You are being had. We've found decent vdt at €8 for 10 litres (we can go cheaper but I'm sure it's reconstituted from powder). Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have to laugh at all these monster expensive things. I bought one for 10 euros from a local garden furniture shop. I expected it to be crap, but worth a go at that price. I've used it over 10 times now and each time the results have been magnificent. OK, it takes a bit of time to get going, but what's the rush?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 28-05-07 14:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Red Dave, the longer it takes to get to temperature, the more beer that you can drink.
snow report
Absolutely Kramer!

And I can buy plenty of beer with the money I saved Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Red Dave, Mine cost a lot more than 10 € but I have been using them since 1992 (bought with the proceeds from visits to the BCN Olympics) I used to joke that because the air supply could be cut off, the charcoal would extinguish and thus we were going to recoup the cost in 15 years, almost there Very Happy
David Murdoch, Yes, but our stuff is witout any additives and doesen't make your teeth curl like some of the French stuff I tried in Cham at the end of April wink
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
We were lucky enough to find some "restaurant grade" wood charcoal in Carrefour a fortnight ago. Amazing. Became astonishingly hot and lasted for ages. Sadly, their "ordinary" stuff ain't nearly as good.

Thoughts? recommendations?

For someone who's continuously bleeting on about carbon footprints, global warming etc, I'd have thought you'd be on a diet of locally sourced salads. rolling eyes
snow report
OK, raining outside, so I'm off to find a bargain. I need a barbecue for the apartment in France, as hubby cannot bear to think of spending two weeks holiday without a barbecue. I'm quite taken with the WEBER ones, but not with the price. Anyone seen any similar ones, I assume BandQ and Homebase will do thir own versions?
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, we have been experiencing great results with our €35 one acquired at Metro (I'm afraid, if you don't have a card). Can't believe your local Bricorama/Leroy Merlin/etc. won't have any on sale?
ski holidays
bh1, I think the word you're looking for is "bleating". And, if you read my posts, I don't. I do carp on horribly about crap journalism discussing relatively unimportant issues when the bigger ones largely go ignored. And crap science, that gets on my bleating goat as well.

I do like the fact that my local (major chain) supermarket does source locally though, but I don't like salads.

You weren't trying to be rude were you? Twisted Evil I just did a wee search on "global warming". In 4 pages I appear 5 times. You aren't confusing me with any other "David"s, "Dale"s or anyone else are you? 'Cos there's rather a few more of them... NehNeh
latest report
David Murdoch, they had a few in Mr Bricolage last year, but they were either really cheap and nasty or horrendously expensive, nothing in between, so we ended up not buying one at all. No Leroy merlin without a trip further afield. I was planning on not adding to the carbon footprint by driving miles just to find a barbecue.
Little Angel
ski holidays
Does anyone know how much the masonry barbecues with a chimney are in France? I know everyone in the south seems to have one. I'm looking at one like this for about £200 over here. If they are much cheaper I could think about bringing one back with me in the summer, although at 200kg that might be a problem.
ski holidays
Bricktets (Australian Heat Beads) every time. Contrary to reports above both preparation and results are very predictable. 15 Heat Beads into a Charcoal Chimney with 2 fire lighters to get them going for 25 mins. Tip into a Webber Kettle and let them cool off for 10-15min. When ash grey take five beads and spread them out under the grid where you will be cooking. Keep the remaining 10 beads to one side in a heap. Get your meat out (so to speak) and on the grid, and cook to your taste. If the spread out beads get too cool replace with beads from the side. When cooking is done smother your 'fire' and re-use the beads next week. Cant beat a lamb or beef cooked on a fire.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, ours was really cheap (although not terribly nasty) and produces great results (with good 'coal). Although, I tend to judge my BBQs by results over aesthetics... wink

But hey, what happens to your carbon footprint driving to the Savoie? Should you have a looonng walking holiday instead?
snow report
Spit Roast
Nasty chemicals in briquettes though, henc the acrid smoke sometimes associated with them. I know the chemicals should be burnt off by the time you cook, but they are being released into the atmosphere unnecessarily. We roasted a whole lamb over lumpwood charcoal last autumn.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, it's smaller than a flight and car hire, though moving to the foot of the slopes will reduce it further. I agree though it is the quality of the charcoal that counts.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy