Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calgary hit with snow as Ontario basks in the sun

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

As people in Southern Ontario slapped on sunscreen in the stifling heat, Calgary residents awoke to trees bending and breaking under the weight of snow. Areas around the Calgary airport received 10 centimetres while areas at higher elevations received 15 to 20 centimetres...
Cold lows from the west or south west are normal in the area for this time of year; however this cold low was unusual in that it came straight from the North.
The opposite was true for much of Ontario as temperatures rose into the 30s threatening to break heat records

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070524/weather_extremes_070524/20070524?hub=CTVNewsAt11
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
a snowfall advisory

How I hate that ghastly Americanism!

It's a bloody adjective; and non-specific at that! I work in an advisory capacity - to prepare advice. Sometimes, the advice is in the form of a warning.

rolling eyes Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
laundryman wrote:
Quote:
a snowfall advisory

It's a bloody adjective; and non-specific at that! I work in an advisory capacity - to prepare advice. Sometimes, the advice is in the form of a warning.

That would be a laundryman advisory then? Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kiwi1, don't you start. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laundryman wrote:
Quote:
a snowfall advisory

But it's a useful one to distinguish from a Snowfall Warning, which is more imminent and serious. A Snowfall Watch, meanwhile is less imminent and serious than an Advisory.

PS. Calgary is not in America.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ami in berlin, yes it is.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ami in berlin, how about 'alert'?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman wrote:
ami in berlin, how about 'alert'?

But 'Alert' is so ominous. Alert! Alert! We're all going to die! Snow Tornados!

Advisory is so much calmer. We simply advise you that you may encounter a little snow.

And don't let any Canucks hear that crack about Calgary. They tend to get sensative about those sorts of things.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ami in berlin, I think laundryman means Calgary is in the CONTINENT of america, which include Canada and Mexico as well! wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc, quite - and that's only North America. If I were a 'Canuck', I'd get p...d off with people from one country equating it with the entire continent - much as the Scots, Welsh and Irish get p...d off (legitimately) with those English who equate England with Britain, the U.K. or the British Isles.

ami in berlin, but if anything it should be (n.) 'advice', not (a.) 'advisory'. In any case, no particular advice (like don't drive, or go skiing the day after tomorrow) is given, merely a prediction of a likely snowfall. Personally, I don't find 'alert' particularly alarming.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, but the noun 'advice' is a plural noun. The National Weather Service could therefore not issue a Snow Advice, it would have to issue a Piece of Snow Advice. That doesn't quite roll off the tounge as well as a Snow Advisory.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ami in berlin, 'alert' then. rolling eyes

'Advisory' may roll of the tongue, but only to assault the ears.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, English is not French or German. We do not have an appointed body tasked with maintaining the purity of the language. Rather, English evolves naturally and differently in the many places it is spoken. Advisory (n) may not appear in the Oxford English Dictionary, but it most certainly does in the M-W Dictionary. So we Americans, and our Canadian neighbo(u)rs, don't really care what people on the other side of the pond think of our ghastly Americanisms.

Advisory (n) suits are purposes quite well, thank you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman wrote:
Quote:
a snowfall advisory

Good luck to the Americans.

They are willing to innovate, change and improve everything.

The Brits are backward and whingers. It is why they are so much poorer.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ami in berlin, I'm all for freedom of speech - you can say what you please, and I'll feel free to criticise, as I please, such grating, grammar-defying and needless coinages as advisory (n.) that wing their unwanted way across the Atlantic.

For about 100 years, the U.S. has been the most fertile spawning ground for the English language; and some American coinages I find very pleasing, especially those that are colourful and direct. However, some should be incarcerated in a verbal slammer.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy