Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any advice for some replacement skis ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone I was wondering weather anyone had any suggestions for me

Currently I ski on a pair of Head Cyber 28X's which are starting to show their age (I think they are about 190 cm long they are just taller than I am at 185cm )

What I'd like is something similar to replace them

I'm 185cm tall (6'1") and weigh far too much to be a good skier
I can do carved turns, jump turns, skids and everything else on them
I like to be able to ski fast when I want to, so straight line stability is important
I prefer hard conditions to soft heavy snow and don't usually go off piste except to ski back to the hotel
I want a ski that performs as well as my current ones on Ice or harpack so edge hold needs to be really good
I'm not worried about doing tricks
I dont really want to do slalom type skiing

So come on guys what about some ideas
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Elan S12 Fusion 176cm

Just so we can laugh at those unstable Volkl 5-star clubbers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex,

5-stars unstable, rubbish IMHO.

D G Orf,

I'm a 5-star fan - excellent edge hold, great carvers, quick when you want them to be but still good for just cruising around, would be ok for the bit of off piste you want to do. Oh yeh, stable too. My ample 14st/5'9" frame on my 168's were clocked on a perfect piste by a hand held radar gun in March at 73 kph . That's certainly the fastest I've ever been and the one thing I wasn't worried about was the stability of my skis - my underwear yes, but not my skis.

I've never seen or heard a bad report re the 5 stars. Suggest you try a pair in a longer length.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, ah but I'm considerably heavier than you old chap, my record is 96.8 kph and it's one of the reasons I love my Head skis

On that note has anyone used the "Intelligent Head Skis" i.e those with ic in the name, I've heard a variety of reports on these, some saying they're great whilst others are less kind
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf,

You missed it by 3.2 kph then. Shame eh.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, yes but I must claim having to take avoiding action as there were two pedestrians walking across the piste to have a look at the display at the time and no not once did they look uphill whilst they crossed Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, it may have looked like a troll but I think he's a better 6asterisk candidate than any other I've heard tell of.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex,

My thoughts exactly. 6*'s will easily break the 100 kph mark DG.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Atomics - the new equivalent of the GS9 or 11 - depending on how brave you want to be!

Or compromise with the SX variation for a little more girth....

Or....if you can find it, the Stockli Stormrider XL. Now thats a truly great ski for edge grip by all accounts. Alas, I havent had a chance to ski them, but...

Or Volkl Supersport Superspeed. The new one ABOVE the 6*.

Or (I promise this is the last 'Or'!) maybe the K2 Apache series warrants a look?

Although (HAHAA! That saves retyping the 'Or' thingy) the Fischers or Nordicas if you can find them both had great edge grip when I skied them at Pila on the hard packed stuff...
Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use Head iC170s - I am NO lightweight - I'm not even going to put my weight here but it's above average for a "lady". These are tough and strong skis, good carvers with a good hold (i.e., not much wobble under speed). Not so good on the bumps as they're not overly flexible, or maybe that's just my bump technique that needs work! Laughing They handle powder fine too, but don't rate the intelligence much as they can still get lost in powder like any other dumb ski. Razz
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DG, It's got to be Atomics Skiercross for your preferred style. They are heavy and very stiff and ideal for someone who has eaten too many pies.........like me!
I used them a few time last season and they can't be beat on hard pack/ice. They are deigned for going fast but are still nimble and very stable at low or high speed. Long sweeping carves in a full tuck going flat out are just a dream on these planks. Be aware that you need to control these all the time and passive bimbling around the mountain is not an option.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf, i think you'll like the "intelligent" technology. It makes the ski damp and stable. Tried a pair of Head Monster 75 last year. Very nice ski for bombing down the hill, stable and heavy (i like the stability of a longer ski, took them in an 177 lenght and could have easily taken them in a 170 - i'm 1.75 m & 80 kg btw). These skis were damper than the 5* i took out the next day, but had a nice pop when exiting GS turns, so i'd say the tecnology works and should be great on ice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought my own skis this year for my 2nd ever week of skiing and have skied in them for 4 weeks. They are Atomic's C9 pulse. I did a bit of research and chose them because they seemed suited to my standard. But, I have a few questions - what major difference do skis make? Can you learn to ski on any ski ? Are beginners sold 'beginner's skis' because they are made to a price and not a quality - i.e. a beginner might give up. Will top end skis make it easier to ski? Why do you all seem to like 1080s? I sometimes feel that my skis are a bit sluggish - but that could well be my skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
erica2004, skis are designed to perform under certain conditions in the same way that cars are, you are unlikely to take a ferrari off road, or try to compete in a road race using a Landrover, so it is with skis, Shorter skis allow you to turn faster and are popular for doing tricks with, longer skis tend to go faster, wider skis are more useful off piste as they help you float across deep snow.

So back to your questions

Quote:

Can you learn to ski on any ski ?

Yes you can but it is more usual to be taught on shortish skis these days as it is easier to learn with skis that do not run too fast and have a good turning ability

Quote:

Are beginners sold 'beginner's skis' because they are made to a price and not a quality - i.e. a beginner might give up

Sometimes, more usually the skis are sold in terms of performance, an experienced skier who just likes to cruise gently down the piste may buy a pair of so called beginner skis as they do not need higher performance, typically though as one progresses in ones skiing capability you tend to need higher performance skis which tend to be more expensive as they have more layers/ exotic materials or high tech functionality

Quote:

Will top end skis make it easier to ski?

No they make it easier for advanced skiers to perform at a higher level, they may be too high a performance for a beginner, in car terms it is rare for a recently qualified driver to drive a ferrari because they do not have the experience to make the judgements on performance/safety

Quote:

Why do you all seem to like 1080s?

I don't they're too short for my taste and style

Quote:

sometimes feel that my skis are a bit sluggish - but that could well be my skiing.

It might be that they just need to be waxed properly to take account of the different snow conditions, a ski that runs well on wet snow may stick on powder snow and vice versa, experienced skiers wax their skis every day and change the wax formulae according to the underlying snow conditions
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
D G Orf wrote:

It might be that they just need to be waxed properly to take account of the different snow conditions, a ski that runs well on wet snow may stick on powder snow and vice versa, experienced skiers wax their skis every day and change the wax formulae according to the underlying snow conditions

I'm interested how many people actually bother though, personally I don't, I use an allround wax, it's a little cheaper and saves messing around with different waxes. I use Swix F4X which is good betwen 10 and -10. My experience is that this works well for wet snow where I really, really need it and it's OK for other snow. For most people I'd guess having a frequent wax would be better than the right wax infrequently. I have some low temp wax for -10 and below but I don't use it too frequently.

I just find using high fluoro temperature specific waxes is really expensive, for example an hf wax is around 4.5 times the cost then a generic wax and that's before you start messing with additives. I'll leave all for that for PG Very Happy
latest report
ise, yes some valid points, I tend to hot wax my skis about once every 14 days and use a wipe on wax every day or every other day depending on the amount of skiing I'm doing, the point is that waxing the skis does make a difference especially if they have either no wax or the completyely wrong wax on them at the moment Laughing
snow conditions
ise, Some of us lightweights need all the technological assistance we can get to maintain speed in certain conditions! Not that I'm suggesting anything of course! Shocked Smile
ski holidays
ise, I used to think all snowboarders feared traverses and run-outs. Then I met one who diligently waxed his board(s).

(You're also fiendishly lucky in your moist snow: we only quit using blue/green in March when the snow cannon turn off).
ski holidays
Thankyou - I'll wax the skis more often (along with everything else).
latest report
Erica, broadly speaking, beginner skies are just more flexible and shorter, which means they're easier to turn and more forgiving if you get into a poor position/hit a rut etc.

A good skier can ski on pretty much any ski but they're better able to appreciate the properties of the ski.

1080s are just great all round skis, where as a lot of the high end skis these days are targetted at a specific type of skiing e.g. I've got a pair of Pocket Rockets and they're cr*p on piste because they're designed for off-piste.
ski holidays
D G Orf, I tend to prefer Volkl skis as they have very good edge grip. My old P50 race carvers had awesome hold (until stolen), and I had a lot of fun with the 6 Star (and 5 Star) last season, and will probably buy the 6 Star when the season starts.

However, I have to agree with Boardski about the Atomic Supercorss. They look like someones has puked allo ver them, but they are incredible on piste! I used a few times on bullet proof hardpark 1st thing in the morning at the end of the season, and their grip and stability at speed gave great confidence. Very heavy and stiff. If I were to buy a pure 'on-piste' ski, they'd be in my top 3.

But ski choice is a very personal thing - try out all the suggstion in Wengen, and have fun!

Head Intelligence - exciting new technology, or maketing cowdoo? Wink
ski holidays
Red Dave wrote:

Head Intelligence - exciting new technology, or maketing cowdoo? Wink

Well, that marketing BS may work in D G's favor. There is apparently a program to get 6 days free on any other of their skis if you buy one from the line. Has that been announced in Europe yet?
snow report
Red Dave,

Hi Dave, howya doin'? I haven't seen your name on snowHeads for a while. Are you back in the UK yet?

I remember you were on 5 Stars in Saas Fee. I've only tried the 6 Stars on piste & I'm interested in your opinion of them off piste as I been offered the opportunity of a straight swap of my 5's for the 6's.

After our week with Warren (I'm also going to Verbier in Dec for another week with Warren) I'm confident that I can handle the extra stiffness of the 6's on piste but would they be the better off piste than the 5's, as I certainly want to do more off piste in the future.
latest report
Hi Jon, yes back in the UK, for now at least Crying or Very sad Maybe if I spend more time on here, I can get made redundant and get back to the Alps Wink

I thought the 5s were great fun, on and off piste; as are the 6s. Both skis are great allrounders in my opinion. If I was you I wouldn't swap unless you can get a chance to try the 6s out 1st. Why does the other person want to swap?

Have fun with Warren, I wouldn't mind another week myself - may make it in January, otherwise back to Saas Fee for July. Say hi to Deb.

Comprex, I've never heard of this programme in Europe, interesting. I've been fairly lucky in that the shop I bought my Volkls in normally lets me have the odd free hire; very handy for different ski conditions.

By the way, I wasn't knocking Head skis per se; I'm just not convinced about this 'Intelligence' thing.
latest report
Red Dave,

Thanks for the feedback.

It's a bit complicated, but a pal of mine asked his non skiing mate to get him a pair of 163cm 5*'s in the states & he came back with a pair of 168cm 6's. Close but no cigar as they say. A swap for my 168cm 5*'s would get him close.

I tried 6*'s in 1650 in March but only briefly & on piste. I tried my pals new un's at the Castleford Xscape on Saturday & I think their a tad too stiff - probably be fine blasting around in the mornings but a bit too much of a racer for cruising with Deb in the afternoons & off piste.

So I'll stick with my 5*'s - especially as I'm trying to drop a a stone (or two) which will effectively stiffen then up a bit.

Deb wants to go back to Saas Fee in next July so hopefully we'll meet up then, or maybe at a snowHeads get together.
ski holidays
Jon, I'll keep an eye out for you on the slopes - can't miss that jacket!

By the way, does your DVD jump, during the jumping? I watched it again the other night after several beers and was rolling around laughing.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Red Dave,

Thanks for the feedback.

It's a bit complicated, but a pal of mine asked his non skiing mate to get him a pair of 163cm 5*'s in the states & he came back with a pair of 168cm 6's. Close but no cigar as they say. A swap for my 168cm 5*'s would get him close.

I tried 6*'s in 1650 in March but only briefly & on piste. I tried my pals new un's at the Castleford Xscape on Saturday & I think their a tad too stiff - probably be fine blasting around in the mornings but a bit too much of a racer for cruising with Deb in the afternoons & off piste.

So I'll stick with my 5*'s - especially as I'm trying to drop a a stone (or two) which will effectively stiffen then up a bit.

Deb wants to go back to Saas Fee in next July so hopefully we'll meet up then, or maybe at a snowHeads get together.

Spyderjon, is you PAL going to sell those 6*?
ski holidays
Matteo,

Sorry Matteo, but they've been snapped up by another one of our pals.

Red Dave,

My DVD's fine. The on-grass training led by Shaun, to the 'Thriller' sound track really cracked me up.

And I'll ignore the jacket comment rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I just paid a large amount of cas at the Southampton ski show for a pair of Head GS skis, these are the factory setup skis with the stiffer flex so hopefully I've not bitten off more than I can chew and will be tearing past people on the slopes this season Skullie

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 2-10-04 19:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
What model was it?
latest report
Worldcup i. Race GS Shocked (with the racing platform not the slghtly less stiff carve plate shown on the website) it's the factory setup for the GS race from Head this season 180cm I could have had the Freflex 17 binding but I opted for the 14 as that should be more than sufficient for my normal use
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy