Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snoworks schedule for next season

Poster: A snowHead
As it says, the schedule for next season has been released http://www.snoworks.co.uk (click on i-skiing planner on the left-hand side)

I see they're going to Japan for the first time - we want to go the following year (the OH has a biggie that year Toofy Grin ) Be interesting to see how much the Snoworks trip is/what its like snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I see they have switched to the Aiguille Percee for the race training weeks. That's a pain - will mean an even earlier start to get across to the funicular in time for the first train up.

They've also expanded their summer race training programme with two weeks in June/July at Tignes and a week in LDA in July. Might try to do one of those weeks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy, thanks for posting that most helpful.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, note that that extra Tignes week and LDA week are next year (i.e. 14 months away).

There're a few typos on there too - I assume the 9 Volcanoes this year isn't returning before it starts (I doubt the skinning will be faster than the spped of light Wink ), and I expect the Chile trips at the bottom of the list are for 2008.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, there are always typos on their planner - it really bugs me! Whoever does their website for them should really read stuff before it goes live. Clicking on Japan takes you to Fernie...... Do you think they want a proof reader? wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
How do their courses compare with Warren Smith ?

I was expecting something different from Warren Smith, as I had seen the dvds before.

For those that have done both courses :-

Does Snoworks concentrate on bracage, or do you see more of the mountain ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GrahamN wrote:
rob@rar, note that that extra Tignes week and LDA week are next year (i.e. 14 months away).

I like to plan ahead. Gives me something to live for!

I think they might have a couple of race courses in Tignes this June/July (2007) as well.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Latchigo wrote:
Does Snoworks concentrate on bracage, or do you see more of the mountain ?

Haven't done anything with Warren Smith but with Snoworks it varies with the different types of course they offer. With their race training you're on the same two or three pistes all week, but with other courses such as their All-Terrain or Off-Piste you get around much more. I think that they try to match their choice of terrain with whatever skills are being developed. Some courses require exposure to a wide range of terrain, but other courses won't need to leave the same part of the mountain too often.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Latchigo, go to the links on the right-hand side of the Snoworks page and there's a bit of a description of each type of course
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For those hardened Snoworks regulars, what's the difference between Backcountry Courses and Off Piste courses?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc, I think the backcountry courses use local guides as well as Snoworks instructors, so the course is a mixture of guiding and tuition. The off-piste courses are instructor-only.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mosha Marc wrote:
For those hardened Snoworks regulars, what's the difference between Backcountry Courses and Off Piste courses?

Not a Snoworks regular, harden or otherwise, but just an observation. You can be off-piste but still in the "front country", aka, in the resort.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc, point taken. But on closer examination, both courses are sold as lift served skiing.

If I had to hazard a guess myself, then there seems to be less teaching and more guiding on the Backcountry week. Much as Rob said.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Details, details, details...

"On closer examination", one is 5 half day instruction, free skiing the rest of day. The other is 5 full days, split between instruction and guiding.

It's at the bottom of the page.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah Ha!

As easy as, errr, abc snowHead
latest report
Mosha Marc, I've done three Backcountry courses with them, and the difference is basically what abc, says. It's structured as first day half with guide, half with instructor - basically while they assess you and make sure they've got you sorted into compatible groups. Remaining days are full days alternating between guide and instructor. It's mostly lift served, but the top group or two may do some bootpacking or a day tour, depending on what the group feels like. We did one day tour at St Anton last year (back of the Valluga then about 2 hour skin out on the long way round to Zurs), and one at Gressoney the year before (about 90mins climb up the Bettaforca) , but not at Gressoney this last season; our guiding days this season were one over to Zermatt starting with a heli-drop, and the other doing the Malfatta couloir into Alagna (high snowline meant a quite long walk out).
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
......The off-piste courses are instructor-only.

Rob, I couldn't see anything on their site stating/confirming this?
ski holidays
spyderjon, yes it does. Look at the Details section of the Off-piste page: "- 3 hours per day with an i-Skiing instructor"
snow conditions
spyderjon, it doesn't mean you have to be an instructor to do them wink
snow report
Mosha Marc, Doh! Should've read the whole thread Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy