Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Apache Recon or Comanche 5 Com?

Poster: A snowHead
Been looking at the recent deals available and i can get either of the above ski's at the same price. I have read good reviews about both of them but am wondering what the snowheaders would choose for mostly piste skiing but hoping to branch more and more into off piste? Also what are these skis like on hard snow and ice? One review of the comanche 5 com dismissed it as useless on hard pack.

Appreciate all comments,

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thedavman, i got K2 recons this season and love them except for one big design issue. They have integrated the marker bindings onto a rail system and i have had the skis back twice to K2 as the toe binding feels loose. they have had to grind the ski mounting bracket and still doesnt feel solid to me. great ski but let down by the binding arrangement , another ski to look at is vokl karmas which have had good reviews here

also you need to be heavy/agressive with these. my smaller mate a much better skier than me prefers the crossfires
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Read alot of positive reviews about the Karmas but as for the time being i will be more piste based, i felt they were a bit wide in the waist. Have you heard of the Comanche 5's having the same problem with the bindings?

No probs with the heavy, im 6 ft 1 and 14.5 stone so am looking for a relatively beefy ski.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thedavman, i can only comment on the recons not skied the others.... i am 6'4" 15.5 and ski a short 174 recon and love them as an all round ski but am worried about the bindings and honestly wouldnt buy them again for that reason. Mine might have been a one off but ...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dont blame you not wanting to risk it. Have you heard of this occuring with other K2 skis? What made you pick the Recon?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thedavman, The binding mounting is new for this year as K2 bought Marker and tried to integrate the binding and ski. IMO they cheapened it out. am not sure if this system is on all k2s or not.

I skiied crossfires the year before last and loved them but went to a demo day in Milton Keynes I think around aug or sept and tried the crossfire and the K2 guy recommended the recon. the recon was noticibly more energetic and really quick edge to edge for a long turn radius ski. Weirdly the 181's felt like turning an aircraft carrier and was not responsive at all. In the end i went short and didnt regret it. but have doubts as i said about quality of construction.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are other skis in this market. Also consider Fischer AMC 79. I have this ski and I like it. I am sure there are others with their own favourites.Very positive about it on piste in a variety of conditions. I mention this as I use it mainly on piste or off piste iteniaries that are bumps rather than deep powder/ Found it easy to manouvre, great edge hold for 79mm waste ski. I'm 6ft 3 15 st and I ski it in 182 length.I picked it up from ski bilek for £140 inc postage and fitted binding. I also have Fischer RX 8 a great piste only ski

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 23-05-07 15:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thedavman, have a look at

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=607956&highlight=karma#607956

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22662&highlight=

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24586&highlight=

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23796&highlight=
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will have a look at them so. Originally i was set on Scott Aztec Pro's but even the cheapest deal for them that i have seen on the net still works out over €100 more than for either of the above.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mrs Ski has just bought some (last years) Recons - no rails on them - so the Solly's from her Phat Luvs will do fine Laughing

Ditto the comments about the Crossfires - the Recons seemed to have more life (she says).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers for the links skimottaret, some interesting reading. It seems i would be better going for the Recons but maybe selecting different bindings.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if cost is an issue i like ski, idea of getting last years model without rails, u should be able to get a great ski and select any old binding
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dan100, How do you rate the RX8's? i am looking for a slalom ski i can use on hard piste and slalom courses. I skied on the FIS RC4 SL but found them too short at 165 for normal on piste fun skiing

thedavman, if still available at the price £140 for a pair of AMC 79's sounds ideal to me
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
dan100, How do you rate the RX8's? i am looking for a slalom ski i can use on hard piste and slalom courses. I skied on the FIS RC4 SL but found them too short at 165 for normal on piste fun skiing

thedavman, if still available at the price £140 for a pair of AMC 79's sounds ideal to me

I highly rate the ski as a general all purpose piste ski excellent on hard pack. I ski them at 175 length so not sure I can class them as a slalom ski although in their shorter lengths they have a similar turn radius. they are quick reliable piste ski. SSH obviously rates them highly from past postings and his view is far more knowledgeable than mine. My mate picked up the Rossi 9s radical from sport conrad and enjoyed using that as an all mountain ski-it certainly improved his skiing, so that's another poss. As I say I've been a happy punter with both sets of my fischers Very Happy
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I have recons (181, I'm 6'3" 14 st) with integrated marker bindings. No issues - quite happy.

edit (for clarity) the 05/06 version, not sure if they changed it for 06/07.
ski holidays
brian, they definately changed them for 06/07 and that is teh model i had problems with....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy