Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A visit to CEM's

Poster: A snowHead
Problem: Lump on heel from Achilles tendon repair scar tissue causing soreness problem, even when using Epitact.

Solutions:

1. Operation to take out now-redundant stitch. Upside: It would work – probably. Downsides: Infection risk, out of action for 10 days, needs to be done 3 months before skiing.
2. See if CEM can modify boots. Upsides. No surgery. Downsides: will have to have modified boots each time I change boots (but at my age that may not be many times Toofy Grin).

Solution 2 seemed good. Did 240 mile round trip today – lovely day for it. I was impressed. Friendly but thorough, CEM checked out my feet , then cleverly marked up where the problem area was on the inside of the shell, then used what looked like a hugely over- grown dentist’s bur and polisher to alter the boot inner profile at exactly the right spot. That seemed to go so well, I asked him to sort out the other boot to accommodate another old operation scar. That went well, too, so I got him to ease out a spot on a walking boot. That, and tons of chat about skiing boot fitting, and snowheads cost me £30. Oh, I forgot to mention, there was a cant check, too. I’d say great value. OK, there was the cost of the mileage, as well.

Whilst I was there, I bought some trainers (well the last pair is 10 years old). To check I was happy, he put me on a tread mill. Neat.

So. Bicester is in the middle of nowhere in particular – but well worth going to. There is an ace sandwich sop by CEM’s – on the left of the passage way as you go in – so you can stoke up when you get there.

Have the boots worked out? Don’t know until I give the a day’s hard work – so I am planning a bit of a thrunge in one of the fridges – may be megamum’s bash? However, I had good vibes wearing the boots for a while at CEM’s so I am very hopeful.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
achilles, another satisfied customer!
CEM knows his stuff, and for a Scotsman he does a very good deal.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, We'd love to see you at MK - I believe there are folks coming from your neck of the woods - a lift might be possible - check out the other thread. Glad you are pleased with your updated boots, CEM may also be coming to MK - you might be able to feed back directly on your altered boots.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, i hope to make it to MK, i get off a flight form the states at 7.30 in the morning....so if the jet lag doesn't kick in too soon i will be there Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

BTW thanks for the comments achilles
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, I'd add to that.... CEM knows his onions, for sure.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I can wholeheartdly reccomend the CEM experience. I'm taking a teenager to see him next month as well Toofy Grin . If you neeed more details have a look at www.solutions4feet.co.uk
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, and then what are you up to after the CEM visit???
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mouth, Taking the girls to Bicester designer discount shopping village and
then going to see some good friends new home for supper Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wonder if I should take a trip to CEM with my boots, to check whether they are actually capable of letting me roll and flex my ankles, and whatnot, as advised on another thread. Sounds like it would be a worthwhile trip. Doesn't Bicester also have some sort of retail park, with designer clothes at knock-down prices? A spot of retail therapy would be an added bonus.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, Aha, you just answered my question as I was posting it! Thanks. Bicester, here I come!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, My pleasure Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, CEM may scowl as he does hard posted Kork footbeds NehNeh
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight,
Quote:

CEM may scowl as he does hard posted Kork footbeds

What? (Brain pain alert!)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Embarassed Ooops.

Two major makes of footbeds available in the UK. SIDAS Conformable, and Superfeet Kork.
One lends itself to letting the foot pronate inside the boot (if made correctly), the other, well, I'm positive that CEM has the skill to mould it to extract max performance out of you NehNeh If he does Kork-Vac this provides a little more foam in the footbed, and will allow movement in the boot. Full Kork is a little more rigid.

At the end of the day it's down to the skill of the bootfitter to work whichever footbed he has to the foot, which, luckily, CEM is not too shabby!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 23-05-07 21:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
veeeight, I'm worried about that smiley you're using, let alone the rest of what you're saying! Let's see whether CEM will spring, in his perfectly moulded boot, to his own defence!
snow report
Hurtle, Go for the CEM treatment. I've had the Sidas for years, now have the Superfeet, all singing and dancing vacuum jobbies. Wow, what a difference. Mrs.S has them, the Boywonder has them. Brilliant.
ski holidays
Hurtle, we can give you as much or as little support as you want, the full kork product as veeeight says is the most rigid, the kork vac [yep we do that one too] is a bit softer, then there is a product called custom black, we use this in running shoes, golf shoes etc, but it works well in a ski boot if we do not want too much control or the boot is very tight [using it in race boots allows enough space for a footbed and a foot Toofy Grin ]

we can also vary the support in the kork product with some diligent grinding at the rear end of the arch area

the other area that veeeight seems to have forgotton, is how the superfeet product actually works...it supports the rearfoot and allows the arch to flex, whilst the sidas product is a bit softer in its support approach it relys on supporting the arch.

all in all both products work well, but if badly made they are both useless
snow report
CEM, Thank you, that's very helpful. I do quite fancy a trip to this 'ere designer outlet anyway, so no harm in bringing my feet and boots along for an expert opinion. (The boots do, as it happens, feel perfectly OK and I can't move my heels around in them when they're snugly done up, which hitherto I had thought was just fine...!)
snow conditions
CEM, Easythere, Sidas product works as YOU want it to, the beauty of the product being it's near endless possiblities in terms of the information put onto the mould.
ski holidays
Quote:

the other area that veeeight seems to have forgotton

Toofy Grin Got to leave you, a X-spurt, the final say wink

But indeed as both SZK and CEM have alluded to - I have seen both sorts badly badly made to the extent that it is doing much more harm than good.

You really need someone who knows what they are doing and what we are trying to achieve in skiing to make your footbeds.

20 minutes at the London Ski Show is not a good place <shakes>.... Sad
snow report
veeeight, totally agree. Also, when you go to CEMs, you can end up meeting a few other snowHeads - last time I was there, there were 5 of us.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, CEM and your sock puppets wink Laughing Laughing
If DG turned up there wouldnt be enough room in CEM's office Very Happy
snow conditions
[quote="veeeight"]
Quote:
.......20 minutes at the London Ski Show is not a good place <shakes>.... Sad

Amen.
snow conditions
I'm not surprised to hear that CEM has set up next to a good sandwich shop
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy