Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good family resort in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
the better half and I are thinking of taking the kids skiing next year. Early to mid March. The boys will be eight and five by then. They both go to lessons on dry slope once a week but have never been on snow. The five year old while plucky is very vertically challenged so we don't want to be doing too much walking around in ski boots. I'm thinking somewhere pretty high so there is a ggod chance of reasonable snow and cheap. Thought Italy maybe Madessimo, La Thuile or Passo Tonale. Can't make my mind up. Help!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi ickabodblue, there's better skiing in La Thuile if all the lifts are open but given the choice I'd go to Passo Tonale. Small, compact resort, lots of easy blues & reds, friendly locals, steeper stuff available if you're up to it.

I've not been to Madessimo but I'm sure there are plenty of reviews elsewhere on this site for you to peruse....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ickabodblue, you might consider Champoluc - Ski2 have what looks to be a reasonable operation there (no experience of them or recommendations either way) - but it's a nice and quiet place, skiing unchallenging for the most part but good for kids. My young nieces loved it over Easter this year. Reasonably high, extensive snowmaking, etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I took my 12 year old to Passo Tonale for his first snowboarding holiday this Easter. It is ideal for beginners & he loved it.

Livigno is also worth considering if you don't mind a long transfer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ickabodblue, Cervinia is pretty high. Well, it's high, anyway! Seriously, it's not the most attractive place, but there's plenty of wide and fairly gentle pistes, at a good altitude.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ickabodblue, We did La Thuile this easter with our 5 and 9 year olds. Absolutely fantastic place for them and us. I'm expect the other resorts are fine too however. (haven't been yet)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Would echo La Thuile or Passo Tonale - easy-ish transfers of around 2 hours from main airports, compact resorts, good variety of wide open pistes. Try Hotel Orchidea in Passo Tonale or the Planibel complex in La Thuile. snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We skied Paddy's week in Selva, quite slushy that week but the following week it dumped down and there was good snow. Hard to know season to season. As you know easter is early next year, book up early.

Enjoy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the info. At the moment it seems like Passo Tonale is the hot favourite. When are the Easter hols next year? Our school does set hols at the same every year. I'll look at the Orchidea. I had been looking at the Sport Vittoria - Anyone been?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ickabodblue, Look up on the web for your applicable educational authority holidays. Easter holidays in 2008 are (in general) any of the 4 weeks from 23 march.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ickabodblue, The Sport Vittoria does seem to get good reviews and is in a great location, but we really liked the Orchidea. Few minutes walk down the paved main road, you can leave skis etc at the hire shop at the bottom of the lifts, so no hassles there. The food was excellent, service good, friendly, clean, warm, family-owned and run. There is a ski room in the basement if you have your own equipment. The daughter is one of the ski instructors. Easter hols for UK are from 22/3 in most places but some may have 2 weeks so you'll need to check in your own area as to when they break up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ickabodblue, I stayed at the Sporthotel Vittoria and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very clean, food decent enough, friendly staff & situated opposite lifts.

They also have some child facilities, although we didn't use them
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Madesimo is also worth a shout although coming down off the mountain can be daunting for nervous beginers, there is a reallt good family hotel at the base of the nusery slope called Harlequin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MY vote goes to

Alpe Di Siusi Groden Seiser Alm

It is a resort based at Ortsei about 10 to 15 km before you reach Val Garden of the Mighty Sella Ronda circuit. It is specially for families as fast skiers invariably go for the Sella Ronda.

It is linked to Santa Cristina (which is linked to Sella Ronda circuit) by piste in one direction and a short bus in the opposite direction. The snow is better than Sella Ronda because less skiers there. It is clam, big flat motorways, massive area and great for families with small kids.

If the members of the family are confident just ski all the way to Val Gardena and parts of Sella Ronda. Doing the Sella Ronda loop (clockwise and anticlockwise) is possible if the family take an early bus to Val Gardena.

My last trip was mid March and had my best snow condition and weather there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Many thanks to all who answered, you've helped a great deal. Still haven't made my mind up though!! I'm sure wherever we go we'll have a great time. Hope everyone at snowheads does too. .....I'm thinking Madesimo or maybe ....???
ski holidays
have a look at snowbizz. Its not quite Italy but you fly into Turin. If the object of the holiday is for you and the kids to enjoy their first experience on snow I cannot think of anywhere better for that age range. We took our daughter there this year aged 5.5 and she and we loved it.

The resort itself is very small so if you are looking to cover big miles its no good but its all joined up for kids skiing, lessons, eating etc and they even do family guiding in the afternoon andkids activities in the evening for a couple of hours.
snow conditions
You could consider Austria, less transfer time and I would recommend Hinterglemm because the nursery slopes are very handy and varied right in the town and they have a great ski school.....options options options!
ski holidays
Quote:

you might consider Champoluc - Ski2 have what looks to be a reasonable operation

ickabodblue, We have done Champoluc twice with several young familes in a group. Its trump card is being able to store the skis in the lift at the bottom of the lift station, most of the instructors are anglophone, and its a very pretty and quiet resort except at weekends. For the adults its great for a week with wonderful refugios, fine high mountain scenery and snowsure with most of the skiing, and nursery slopes above 1800m. Try giving Roger Walker a ring at Ski-2. the company is run by 3 people, one of whom is resident in Champoluc in the winter with his young family. Theres no muck like the farmers boots for getting good service. (or am I mixing my metaphors Puzzled )
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy