Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone know of how to find out which free-rando boots fit into which bindings?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know of how to find out which free-rando boots fit into which bindings?
Coz I'd like to have boots that have vibram soles, but that will still work with the majority of bindings that are fixed to most hire-shop skis.

Cheers!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Particularly interested myself as to whether Garmont Endorphin/Adrenaline with the vibram sole fitted will safely release a Rossi Axial binding.

Thanks
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bump for the bootfitters
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vibram/Skywalk Touring/Rando Bindings only. All other ISO Alpine.
fatbob, No.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A little more info on pistehors; http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Freerando-Boots
"A new trend these boots appeal to freeriders who are prepared to climb to find fresh turns. The current range have swappable ISO Alpine and treaded climbing soles. Stiff enough to drive big mountain and fat skis but still light enough to climb"

Ideally, I'd want a vibram-ish sole that fits safely into normal alpine bindings.
Closest thing to this appears to be the Scarpa Tornado.
Quoting pistehors again; http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Scarpa-Tornado
"The biggest advance for this boot is the cunning Ride Scarpa/Vibram sole. This works in standard touring bindings and alpine downhill bindings. Normal Vibram soled touring boots may not release properly in downhill bindings....
For 2007 the Sole has been updated slightly. The Ride sole complies with ISO Alpine and UNI Standards. The sole has rubber inserts under the toe and at the heel which grip on all surfaces but the boot will still release in Alpine bindings. "
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's a shame - obviously I'd not be using it every day but for those days when you anticipate a bit of scrambling but don't need to skin it would be nice to have the surefootedness of a sole plus the burlyness of an alpine binding. Guess I'd have to consider shelling out for Dukes on top of the boots for which the answer should be yes?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, I think you want to be heading more towards the Scarpa Tornado Pro if you're looking for a boot with a touring pedigree but very useable in DH bindings.
http://www.scarpa.co.uk/Products/Product.asp?ProductId=65
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or Garmont Adrenaline/Endorphine, which have the advantage of being Polyester therfore driving the ski better than Pebax.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just to clarify here:

1) The Adrenaline/Endorphine have replaceable soles, so you can put on the standard soles for DH bindings, or Vibram for Rando, but the Vibram don't work (reliably anyway) in DH bindings. Each works well for the type of conditions they're designed for, but you need to get the screwdriver out to switch between the two/

2) The Ride sole, available on this year's Tornado (or is that Tornado Pro?), is a hybrid that allows some scrambling-type stuff, but also fits in a DH binding, without any sole change. Maybe not good for proper ski mountaineering, but sounds the kind of thing that fatbob and TJon are after.

Is that correct?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking at the other side of the coin - can Fritschi Free ride plus bindings be adjusted to work with a conventional downhill boot sole? (i.e. can the toe piece height be reduced enough to make contact with the front 'lugs' on the sole)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN, Yes, but the Tornado has changeable soles next winter, Vibram and ISO Alpine.

The theory behind using 'Cleeted Rubber' soles in Alpine boots is thus. The sole is cambered and often doesn't interface with the AFD on Alpine soles. The binding may not release when needed.
The sole is rubber and slightly higher than an Alpine lug. This puts the toe piece into 'Pre-Release' the ski might leave you at higher speeds.

I would however ask the question, that if you were injured on skis at high speed, what was the factor responsible, Ski, Snow, Speed, User, Equipment? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marmotte farcie, absolutely - there's a height adjustment screw precisely to do just that. The reasons for not having Fritschis are:
1) price - about £100 more than a standard downhill
2) you don't like/can't hack the higher position (they sit about as high as bindings mounted on a carving plate)
3) you're going to be doing a load of cliff jumps, competition mogul skiing, or giving them similar abuse
4) you're mega-lardy and bend skis majorly underfoot
5) ...erm that's it

From what I hear the new Marker Dukes remove 3 and 4 at the expense of increased weight, which you probably don't want for serious touring. I have Fritschis on my old (now dead) skis which I used for everything I did on snow - but I do ski mostly off-piste. I expect to have Pluses on my new ones whenever I get them - and use either alpine or touring boots as the whim takes me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN, Remove point 2, the Duke has a much better transmission. Little Angel
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kiwi1, et al

I'm seriously considering a pair of free rando boots as my only pair of alpine boots (I also take tele boots and/or snowboard boots on holiday so can't take regular boots as well) however for the reasons GrahamN, articulates don't really fancy Freerides. Actually 4 is probably more in point than 3 wink plus I don't like the constant flexy feel (=am I going to prerelease?)

I suspect from previous advice SZK has given on the lasts I'll be a Garmont fit rather than a Scarpa fit (this is true of my tele boots) so that leaves me mainly using the ISO sole or buying some Dukes with them. Bit of a shame as I've still got a pair of unused turntable axials ready to go on my new allround skis and Dukes are even more costly (+ 1st year full production issues possible?). I know the maggots usually give Markers a bit of a hammering re reliability.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wouldn't worry about the Dukes not been reliable mate. I'm very pro VIST for obvious reasons but my second choice in a binding would always be marker and the dukes are a great binding.
ski holidays
fatbob, Endorphine, Duke and maybe a Nordica Enforcer 185? Suits you Sir. I think there will be at least two of us here next winter with that setup! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
I am in the same camp at fatbob in that I want to carry one boot but for predomanantly alpine use and a bit of boot packing.
I use an SAL X-wave atm, but like what I have heard of the Endorphine. Not too keen on the Freeride plus either.
snow report
T E L E M A R K.

But then again, if I didn't, I too would have this issue. I want(ed) a pair of stiffish ski boots, that fit in my alpine bindings, have a proper walk mode and a vibram sole.

Dukes may be the answer for alpine bindings though. As for Maggots bagging Markers it's not worth worrying about, I've skied COMP 1800s for a long time and never blown one up, with 30-40' footers and stomped landings. Although year 1 issues may be exist they've been testing these things for a while so I wouldn't be too worried about it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy