Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

and the point of skiing is to........

Poster: A snowHead
All that is wholly what?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wear The Fox Hat, I did, sorry, got myself all trans atlantic all of a sudden. Sadly, orange "trousers" are very last year, so if anyone want to buy a pair of small orange Helly Hansen ski trousers, at least you'll know that while they're not green, they're not black...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Sadly, orange "trousers" are very last year

Nooooo......surely not Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
petemillis, [quote]
I love the cold, I love the snow
[/quote...etc]
That's really poetic and I agree with nearly all of it, except that I'm a cr*p skier!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
and the point of skiing is...

...so we have something to talk about all summer long! Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Der Weg ist das Ziel!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Because when your're skiing nothing else worries you. Oh and it helps for the dry slope season.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick W,
Quote:

Oh and it helps for the dry slope season.

Very good point! Almost as good as spending a couple of weeks on holiday at the dryslope!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mutzig - nothing more, nothing less.....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It mirrors life; in that there's no point to it at all - it just is.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spiritual enlightenment.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
iblair, At club nationals and summer league races it feels just like that; tent pitched, sandwiches and flasks of coffee, rain or hot sun at all the wrong moments.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Lawrie wrote:
Der Weg ist das Ziel!
Genau
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The point of skiing is to drag you away from snowHeads for a few hours.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing Laughing and there's me thinking that's what 'work' was for Toofy Grin
latest report
A friend of mines girlfriend just can't understand why anybody would waste their time skiing. She thinks we should all focus on pursuing our careers. I focused on pursuing a career in the snow.
The point of skiing? Whats the point of anything? If it feels good and its not hurting anyone else, then do it.
ski holidays
[quote="Hurtle"]petemillis,
Quote:

I love the cold, I love the snow
[/quote...etc]
That's really poetic and I agree with nearly all of it, except that I'm a cr*p skier!

There's no need to be a good skier Smile Sometimes I wonder if too much emphasis is put on the skill side of things. How many people who go on a boating holiday on the Norfolk Broads or some French canals feel a need to be expert sailors? I bet not many. And I bet they're quote happy just o pootle around with no detailed technical analysis of video showing them the correct procedure for mooring, or operating a lock gate!
latest report

nuff said!
snow conditions
petemillis wrote:
There's no need to be a good skier Smile Sometimes I wonder if too much emphasis is put on the skill side of things. How many people who go on a boating holiday on the Norfolk Broads or some French canals feel a need to be expert sailors? I bet not many. And I bet they're quote happy just o pootle around with no detailed technical analysis of video showing them the correct procedure for mooring, or operating a lock gate!

For me, as I've become a better skier I've enjoyed it more. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it when I was a novice, but as more of the mountain became available to me my enjoyment level has gone up. Using your boating analogy, would the people who enjoyed being on a boat around the Norfolk Broads enjoy their time sailing more if they were qualified Yachtmasters and could skipper their own sailboat around the Med?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 23-05-07 20:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, I bet you still have that purple all in one from your ski modelling days Twisted Evil
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Using your boating analogy, would the people who enjoyed being on a boat around the Norfolk Broads enjoy their time sailing more if they were qualified Yachtmasters and could skipper their own sailboat around the Med?

Only if you have access to the ocean. For some poor soul who's stuck in the middle of the mountain, Swiss sailor comes to mind;), having the quali of Yachtmaster may be a source of frustration instead of enjoyment.

Same with the typical one week a year skier. the steep and the trees doesn't enter the picture.
latest report
abc wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Using your boating analogy, would the people who enjoyed being on a boat around the Norfolk Broads enjoy their time sailing more if they were qualified Yachtmasters and could skipper their own sailboat around the Med?

Only if you have access to the ocean. For some poor soul who's stuck in the middle of the mountain, Swiss sailor comes to mind;), having the quali of Yachtmaster may be a source of frustration instead of enjoyment.

Same with the typical one week a year skier. the steep and the trees doesn't enter the picture.

Sure, I'm not advocating that everyone should aim for a professional qualification to be able to get a reasonable amount of pleasure from skiing, but a general principle of "the better you are, the more enjoyable it becomes" [the actual skiing that is, not other aspects such as being in the mountains, apres ski, etc] is not too contentious?

Slightly off topic, but aren't the Swiss current holders of the Americas Cup?
latest report
Whitegold, wrote
Quote:

The point of skiing is to:
Get a tan

not one of the more convincing reasons, given the quantity of clothes normally necessary. Does anything look more laughable than someone who forgot his suncream and spent the day out in the sun in goggles?
snow conditions
As far as sailing goes, some sailors think there is no point unless you are racing, preferably showing off with other big strong blokes in matching outfits grinding winches costing a couple of thousand pounds apiece. Others think there is no point unless you are sailing engineless up a peaceful creek fighting a tricky ebb tide and looking forward to an evening spent in a mud berth with a pipeful of Old Shag touching up the bald spots on your baggywrinkles. And despising racers. However, there is something rather similar about the attraction, of just floating around on water, in a boat - however smart or tatty - but under your own control, and that of sliding around on snow, under your own control. The surroundings can add immeasurably to the pleasure, but these activities are enjoyable in their own right whatever the surroundings. People sail on gravel pits on the fringes of industrial areas (they dive in them too, bizarre as that seems) and ski on nasty plastic in the rain in the dark. There's certainly similarities in terms of the ratio of the time spent sorting things out, planning and talking about it, to actually DOING it. Both are very expensive in terms of "pounds per minute" DOING it, but hyper cheap in terms of minutes spent pleasurably recalling, anticipating, or organising it.

I can't remember where I put my jib sheets, and I think one was chafed anyway, and am just contemplating getting on my bike up the chandlers to buy a hideously expensive bit of fancy rope (and that's for a 19' boat, not a super yacht). But I just spent an hour putting it all back together again, down in the creek at low tide, with the swans pottering round with their four cygnets, making little contented sucking noises around the weed. Priceless, even if the weather forecast does suggest it's going to be be 'orrible by the time we go over to the Isle of Wight at the weekend.

Both sailing and skiing can be Banging Your Head on a Brick Wall activities. Nice when you stop. A rough passage, or some bad weather and tricky conditions, lend enchantment to the time when you have had a hot shower and have a glass of whisky in the hand. Or even heave to, stop fighting the elements for a few minutes and make a cup of tea in mugs unwashed for 24 hours, in thermals unwashed for a week. And then talk about how tough and skilled you had to be to survive the day!

I suppose there are as many points to skiing, or sailing, as there are skiers and sailors. The people at the "get all the latest gear, go to the smart places and impress the hell out of everybody" end of the spectrum both sports (a very big element, in both, and obviously the one which creates big commercial opportunities) have a lot more in common with each other than they do with their fellows who have a very different approach. There's a horrible similarity between some of the radio conversations heard between Hooray Henries in the Solent in August and those heard in big Alpine resorts. I feel free to despise them, and they to curse me when they have to alter course in their mega-yachts to get out of the way of a tiny, tatty, little boat on starboard tack. Tough, guys (I always do everything possible not to hamper anyone racing, though, whatever the size of their boat). And we can all enjoy watching both the people who can't do it at all (especially the ones who THINK they can) and admiring those who sweep past, at a safe distance, sails perfectly trimmed, or doing those effortless-looking turns down the powder. It takes all sorts. For me, one of the many great things about skiing is it actually gives you a reason to look forward to winter.
snow report
pam w, nice essay! Me too! Very Happy
latest report
pam w, welll said.
snow report
To relpy to the post title, i'd recommend all see this. The 70's ski ballet will have you soil the sofa.

http://www.nuitdelaglisse.com/

Latest edition, 25 years/Perfect Momment.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy