Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone tell me the resorts in Austria where you can ski in the summer and what months they are open?

We are due to have a baby this Sept and thought this may be a good option for getting a ski trip next year as the grandparents could come along and babysit. My parents are really keen walkers and go to Austria most years so I would like a resort that could cater for all of us?

Any recommendations greatly received.

Thanks
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sparkygirl, Hintertux prides itself on being open 365 days a year.

You'd be much better off going in May/June than in August if you can manage it. I have been end of May and mid-August and the difference in conditions is incomparable.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Which resorts are closest to the glacier and which has the best access?

Thx
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lanersbach - small village on main road up from Mayrhofen. Out of the two, Mayrhofen is a bigger town with a lot more going on once the glacier closes for the afternoon.

Nice part of the world to be at that time of year Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sparkygirl, there are some nice hotels in Hintertux itself, but it is quite a small place. We chose Badhotel Gleischer(sp?) as it had an indoor and (small) outdoor pool. I thought it excellent value for quality of food, size of rooms etc. I have stayed at that hotel 3 times now. You would need to drive the 1 km to the lifts from there though (but you will be able to see them).

To stay right by the lifts, I have heard that the Rinderhof is good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sparkygirl, Hintertux for me also and I've been to all of 'em. Can really recommend Hotel Neu Hintertux which is up by the lifts but you're not likely to be disappointed by any of the hotels along the valley - unlike the others this hotel has a shop attached that'll have things for baby if needed. Definitely aim for May / June as any later is more marginal. Zillertal is renown for walkers and especially those looking at floral things. www.tux.at

You can always opt to stay in Mayrhofen (14km down the valley)... more for the folks to do there and generally more going on at that time of year. You can drive up each day for skiing or the post bus will get you there. It's lower too... Tux is around 5000 feet and some new borns don't enjoy that I'm told - can effect sleep. Just a consideration.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sparkygirl, If you're taking baby, I would deffo suggest you stay in the lower options and drive up to the glacier for the reasons Bode Swiller, has mentioned. Baby's can also have problems equalising air pressure in their ears (they can't hold their noses and blow). Mostly doesn't cause any problems, but it's not recommended to take them to altitude.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski wrote:
Sparkygirl, If you're taking baby, I would deffo suggest you stay in the lower options and drive up to the glacier for the reasons Bode Swiller, has mentioned. Baby's can also have problems equalising air pressure in their ears (they can't hold their noses and blow). Mostly doesn't cause any problems, but it's not recommended to take them to altitude.

Interesting the conflicting advice you get on this issue. The doctors around here (Grenoble) don't reccomend taking babies above 1000m.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, None of the locals would dream of taking their kids to the glacier under about 2.5 years of age, but lots of tourists (particularly the Dutch) do this without any apparent problems. Perhaps the Dutch don't understand about altitude? No offence to Stanton of course.

In the town I've only had contact with one baby who had problems, but it caused a miserable week for it's parents.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sparkygirl,
Sorry to be a saddo, but I believe you need to be careful doing things like skiing within about 9 months of having a baby, and maybe longer, as your ligaments are still soft and you might do longer-term damage especially to your hips. (Such a nuisance these babies - but they get fun again once they can ski as fast as you).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
or faster - ages 5 & 7 Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At least 7 glaciers should be open in Austria over the course of this Summer.

Hintertux, Kaprun, Kaunertal and Stubai are probably your best bets.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SuburbanSkier, saddo ,maybe, but should we be tied to the kitchen sink washing nappies, or out there getting fit, and skiing???
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont,
Totally agree, Mrs T Bar was skiing within a few months either side of the birth and baby T Bar was being lugged in back pack above the snow within a month of birth some people are just a bit to precious with kids.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, Hell no, not the kitchen sink, I've never been tied to that (although I did have to bath one of mine in the sink when we had the bathroom redone - and didn't turn around till I took him out). I certainly didn't mean no sport after babies, just not sports that put pressure on hip ligaments. Walking, cycling, swimming are all fine.
snow report
SuburbanSkier,
Is there a shred of evidence to suggest that skiing isn't OK?
snow report
javascript:emoticon('T Bar, ')
snow conditions
SuburbanSkier wrote:
javascript:emoticon('T Bar, ')

You've got me with that it doesn't show on my browser Puzzled
ski holidays
SuburbanSkier, Woops sorry about that. It's been over 12 years since I last produced, so memory . . . but you definatley have more elastic ligaments during pregnancy, it takes several months for them to go back to normal. My sister-in-law suffered long term problems with her hips after it was dislocated when she was pregnant (OK she wasn't skiing).
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, How convenient is Hintertux to get to? I've just looked up Ryanair from Dublin - we can fly to Salzburg or Friedreichshafen which looks to be just over the border in Germany.
latest report
For what it's worth the Stubai is pretty close to Innsbruck which is a really nice city to visit. Haven't skiied there in the summer but have skiied Solden, Kaprun and Stubai in the winter and the Stubai glacier above the other two glaciers.
ski holidays
Mrs johnboy, You can get the train to Mayrhofen then the local bus. Timetables are here.

Some of our group last week flew to Innsbruck then used the train.
snow conditions
Mrs johnboy, I would defo hire a car. Or you'll be needing bus/taxi to Salzburg train stn, I think 2 trains to Mayrhofen and then bus for the final 14kms up the valley - that's OK going but, with a plane to catch, the return journey will feel like a palava. Car comes in handy in Zillertal, esp if the glacier is clagged in or you want to spend some evenings or afternoons down in Mayrhofen.
snow conditions
Tirol wrote:
For what it's worth the Stubai is pretty close to Innsbruck which is a really nice city to visit. Haven't skiied there in the summer but have skiied Solden, Kaprun and Stubai in the winter and the Stubai glacier above the other two glaciers.

I was up on the Stubai last summer and it was closed to skiing. Best to check out whether it's open before booking accommodation & travel.
snow report
I don't think some gentle skiing would be particularly hard on the ligaments (unless someone was suffering from that very specific post-baby ligament problem; I've forgotten the name, but you know all about it if you've got it). I did do myself some short term damage, playing squash after having a baby, but that was only about 6 weeks after and I recovered OK. I can't imagine there'd be much problem after eight months, for someone who had gradually built up their strength. It sounds like a great idea for a holiday to me.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy