Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Seth Vicious

Poster: A snowHead
I've picked up a cheap pair of 2005-6 K2 Seth Vicious 169cm hopefully to use for a couple of trips next season.

I've used a pair of hire 2004 Seth Pistols before over a couple of days of powder in Trois Valleys two years ago. They were fantastic in the deep stuff - knee deep snow on piste too (why can't condition always be like that??!?!) Madeye-Smiley

My query is ... anyone had experience of using these in other conditions - groomed, crud, hardpack etc??

I'd like to use them as an all-round ski if possible.

I'm 5'9" weigh 75kg level 7 skier - happy on all groomed runs, ok on moguls, getting into powder and loving it - I ski 3 weeks most years on an old pair of Rossi Bandit B2's.

Any experiences, advice, and opinions would be much appreciated. snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I ski skis of very similar dimemsions (except for length) most of the time all over without bother. I am taller & a fair bit heavier than you hence have more leverage on getting then edge to edge but for me a 100mm ish waist ski works fine as a one ski quiver. They won't hold a carving edge on boilerplate ice where a worldcup SL ski might but this doesn't freak me out really, I suspect a good tune would improve performance in this area. There are also (obviously) better options for waist high hard pack moguls but slushy spring bumps are fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BrightonSki, It's a ski that works great everywhere, great ski.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fatbob - i'd be avoiding waist high hard pack moguls and boilerplate ice if at all possible anyway!!

Thanks for the advice so far, sounds like they could work well for me. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BrightonSki, put a 3 degree side edge angle on 'em for hardpack.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderjon, would that affect their off-piste performance?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BrightonSki, Atomic ship all their skis with a 3 degree side angle, including their powder skis like my 99mm underfoot Sugar Daddy's. No affect in soft snow whatsoever but offers a bit more bite/edge hold on hardpack, especially as wider skis aren't usually as torsionally stiff etc. From an on-snow performance point of view a 3 degree side edge offers no downside however some (but not me) reckon that the edge might need more regular tuning. If there was a durability problem I'm sure that Atomic & Fischer wouldn't ship their skis in that spec.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, After getting into the habit of quickly touching up my skis with diamond files every couple of days during a trip I have found that my 3 degree edges are remaining sharp without having to remove much metal at all.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarpa, Cool. Time to go to 4 then wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
MMmm interesting, will certainly give the 3 degree edge angle a go this season.

Any other Seth owners / users out there??
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BrightonSki, I have pistols, and have used them in slalom races (not serious races). Mine are 1&2.
Once you get used to the length of time it takes to get from one edge to the other, they are fun on piste.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks.

The bindings (Salomon S912's) are currently fitted 3cm forward of centre. Is this recommended?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BrightonSki, Sounds a little much for some one 5'9" what's your boot sole length?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Size 27.5 Rosst Bandit boots - not sure of the length without getting them out of the loft.

What's the benefit of mounting the bindings forward of the centre line anyway?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:
Scarpa, Cool. Time to go to 4 then wink

I flatly refuse to ski on a glacier when it is NOT covered with snow rolling eyes
ski holidays
BrightonSki wrote:
Size 27.5 Rosst Bandit boots - not sure of the length without getting them out of the loft.

I think you get a freeride mark and a park/freestyle mark on these don't you? IIRC the freeride mark is aft, then further forward is the freestyle mark and then further forward is the ski center. The more forward you mount the bindings (towards the freestyle mark) it's easier to initiate turns, spin and ride switch; on the downside less float in the pow and not as quick when hooning it I think. Disclaimer - I don't own these skis - just doing a bit of research myself as I do like the look of them.

Cheers

BB
ski holidays
BrightonSki wrote:

Benefits:
1. Easier turn initiation
2. Easier to ride switch
3. Easier to ride rails/half pipe/terrain park
All these are due to you being nearer the core centre of the ski.
4. Probably closer to your Campbell Balance point.
This is because skis tend to have a generic mounting point, which is not always the best place to mount bindings for most skiers.

Drawbacks:
1. Possible slight loss in top end speed.
2. Tails more likely to hook up coming out of carved turns.
3. Slightly less float in front of you in powder.

Benefits 1 & 4 are noticeable to me, and all the drawbacks are negligible. I don't go into terrain parks, but I still prefer a slightly forward mounting point.
ski holidays
Cheers, great advice Wear The Fox Hat.

I don't ride in the terrain park either, but happier with easier turn initiation, and do like to ride switch sometimes. Not concerned about slightly less float in powder as they are wider than skis i've used in powder in the past anyway.
snow report
Mine are +1.75. Given my shorter boots (from when they were originally set up), it's probably closer to +2 now.

(I'm not suggesting that you have to copy me, or that I am right, but it works for me)
ski holidays
And I have seen pictures of Foxys Seth pistols!! Scarey.....
snow conditions
I have mine mounted +5 because as Seth Morrison mentioned the mounting graph is 2cm off, Ive tried them at 0 and at 5 and I prefer more forward mind you I ski 189 and im 5'8, and I have some fujative (for sale) and they are dead center at +10 and SO much fun for messing around on.
latest report
afiofa, Seth mentioned the graph is off, but only based on the middle of the ski, not the core centre (we've had a few debates on here before about this!)
snow report
Still a little worried 169cm Seth's might be a tad short for the powder in Tignes next week, especially mounted at +3? Will there be enough ski up front to stop me nose diving? Still time to get them re-mounted?!?!?

5"9' 76kgs 319mm boot length / 27.5, usually ski Rossi B2's in 170cm.
ski holidays
169cm for your size is quite short - I'd go for the 179 as a minimum if I were you. I'm 79kg and 1.78m and have gone for the 189s.

Spyderjon is giving them the once over as we speak... can't wait to get on them.

Cheers

BB
latest report
BrightonSki, don't panic about it! My Pistols are 179, I'm 1.8m and about 88kg. They give me enough float in the very light, fluffy, Utah powder, but are short enough not to be too tiring for me.
bucking bronco, enjoy them! snowHead
ski holidays
BrightonSki wrote:
Still a little worried 169cm Seth's might be a tad short for the powder in Tignes next week, especially mounted at +3? Will there be enough ski up front to stop me nose diving? Still time to get them re-mounted?!?!?

5"9' 76kgs 319mm boot length / 27.5, usually ski Rossi B2's in 170cm.

Don't worry, it'll be tracked out by then Wink
latest report
Going from Rossi B2's at 170cm to the K2 Seth V's at 169cm I was hoping i'd just see an improvement in off-piste performance with the extra width underfoot. Reading this forum and particularly the K2 Factory Team forum I'm now worried they might be a bit soft and too short up front.
snow report
If they turn out to feel too short I think i'll splash out on some 179cm Seths or some 177cm Volkl Mantra's.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just make sure you let your true friends ski in front of you. The Seths kick up one humungous rooster tail behind them.
snow conditions
BrightonSki, I think you will find the 169's too short once you get the hammer down in the powder. I've skied on 169's (I'm 70 kgs) and found them a little too sensitive in the deep, compared to 179's. If I was going to buy some, I would seriously consider 189's.
ski holidays
Seriously thinking of getting some 179cm Seths or 177cm Volkl Mantra's, and sticking the shorter Seths on Ebay.

Anyone tried the Mantra's? They get excellent reviews in this seson's mags.

Thanks for any advice. snowHead
latest report
Im trying to decide what Seth size ski to get and Im having a really hard time. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!! I have a pair of K2 Public Enemies 169 and a pair of Salomon Pocket Rockets 175. Im thinking of going bigger with the seth @ 189 or maybe go smaller @ 169. Not sure. Ive heard rumors that the seth is about 4cm longer than what they say. I really want a bigger mountain ski. I figured the 189 would be stronger ski for me but then again maybe the 169. Im 5'10 160 pounds. Im noot considering the 179 just. Either 169 or 189. Any suggestions or tips?

Destroy,

Vailrules!
snow conditions
whistlerbc23, welcome to snowHead Well done you for searching!

Get the 189s, you'll love all that float. They ski short anyway...

Or maybe some Hellbents? Give you a nice quiver... PEs for hardish snow, PR for light pow and trees, Hellbents for the good days...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy