Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: aig. du Gd Fond

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As the last dregs drain out of the half empty cup that was the 2007 ski touring season I managed to motivate Sylv and Luc for one last trip, well one last trip unless we do another last trip. After a storming 2006 season Sylv had been ill this year, at one point unable to get out of bed. I know the feeling. However two months of intensive swimming had tranformed this Brontesque waif into Madamoiselle Muscles. Still she was firm "portage, non non non".

So we had to ski directly from the car. In this globally toasted year that was going to be difficult towards the dog days of May. Even at the Galibier there was 100 vertical meters of portage.

I had one idea, the Cormet de Roselend between Albertville and Moutiers. This 1950 road pass is in the prodigously snowy pre-alpes. The area gets pumelled by atlantic low pressure systems harder than someone doing 10 rounds with Rocky.

RIMG1470
Howzat for ski from the car, missy

As we got out of the car the previous day's storm was just clearing. Wednesday morning seen an end of season powerfeast but of course no-one had thought to take photos. We were hoping for more of the same today while keeping a weather eye open for the avy rsk.

RIMG1471

This is the second half of May and the valley is still full of snow. You'd have thought someone would have had the bright idea of putting a lift in then we could have skied into the early summer like the septics.

RIMG1505

Our aim was the Aiguille du Gd Fond, in particular its n/w couloir at the end of the vallon d'apine.

RIMG1477

this slope is about 300m, from 2500 m to 2800 and angled at a fairly reasonable 40 degrees.

... to be continued
latest report
 brian
brian
davidof, you tease !
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian,

Must be the Win95 job......hasn't got the puff to upload...!!!

Or he is back up there and keeping it all to himself..Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry about that, toddler to feed. Anyway where was I? Oh yes, the couloir, well not today. The rain had overloaded the poorly bonded fresh snow and brought down almost every slope over 30 degrees, and even some a lot less steep. Our couloir was down to a hard icy base but that wasn't all.

RIMG1479
Mont Blanc in the background

Near to the summit there was about 100 meters climbing (or descent) over marginally bonded snow or a snow slab waiting to come down under the weight of a skier.

Rimg1488
Couloir

Not worth tempting the devil for what would at best be poor skiing. We decided to head to the pass just left of the Aiguille.

RIMG1484
Backup plan

This took us over 25-30 degree slopes but even here the humid snow was poorly bonded and liable to slide so we decided on good group spacing.

la Sylv was not at all impressed with all the shenanigans but was just pleased to be back in the real mountain again

RIMG1492

although one of her climbing skis blew away at the summit - lucky we just had to ski down.

Luc should advertise Movement "Pomme Rouge" skis!

RIMG1493

The ski down was on powder completely saturated with water - kind of acquapow.

RIMG1498
Note avy path, left

but not altogether unpleasant. Imagine those ski yoghurt ads from the 1970s and you get an idea of the texture.

Luc was on his telemark skis. I don't know if this is how it is done

RIMG1501

and neither does Luc as this was his first time telemark touring and he's hardly done any on piste. Une courbe d'apprentissage accéléré as they say.

there is a slideshow here

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 22-05-07 16:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof,

Looks worth the trip for the last dregs ..Laughing

I know what you mean about Aquagloop... only had it once before and it was up to my knees...the snow had melted from underneath... Shocked Puzzled pretty scary indeed...!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy