Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which waterproof breathable?

Poster: A snowHead
Some more links

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/396/V/1/SP/332296698730328176304

http://skiing.about.com/cs/skiclothing/tp/mens-ski-jacket.htm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As a matter of interest has anybody here suffered much from their jacket not being waterproof when skiing?
I cannot ever recall this having been a problem for me and I have skied for about 20 years in most weathers including rain.
I have had soaking gloves, wet bum, wet feet inspite of plastic boots, occasional wet torso from cotton underclothes or snow finding its way in around the collar or up the bottom of my jacket, but I dont ever recall having a problem with a leaking jacket whilst skiing.
My first outfit was C&A's finest and I remember getting soaking hands as I thought my motorbike gloves would do but I don't remember getting very wet elsewhere, have I got a bad memory or will most jackets suffice?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
not had a problem with a jacket but I have with some trousers, sitting on a chairlift. The Nikwax reproofing stuff does a resonable job of sorting that for a while
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

but I dont ever recall having a problem with a leaking jacket whilst skiing.
T Bar, you've obviously never skied in Scotland! The rain competes for horizontalness(?) with the Great Glenn Chair at Aonach Mor. It ain't waterproof unless it's been tested in Scotland. The last thing of mine to bite the dust up in Scotland was a Marmot laminate jacket on the summit of The Cobbler last month. Lashing rain, gusts to 60mph- it just didn't stand a chance.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

T Bar, you've obviously never skied in Scotland!

I live there!

Mmm If you were on the summit of the Cobbler last month you probably wern't skiing Toofy Grin
I have got wet in Scotland walking and have skied in Scotland in the rain several times, but I must admit if it is actually horizontal rain rather than snow I usually head for home and hope for a better day. Being a sassenach I'm probably just a wimp though Blush
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Yes, find somewhere more discrete to rub your nipple!

(I'll see if I can think of something more sensible to suggest tomorrow

Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
I think what happens in the Pennines is that the water struggles to get out and the internal layers become much damper than they would in the high alps. Water has a much higher specific heat capacity than air (4.2 KJ/Kg K if I remember correctly) so your body has to heat the air and the water/moisture in the jacket. As you say when the air is moist and you are hot it becomes very uncomfortable so people fling open the jacket to cool down and get some fresh cold air in there. What happens next is that some of the moisture evaporates off but cools the moist garments/layers left behind. This results in a cold damp person who is convinced that the 400 quid jacket he bought isn't that good afterall.

In these conditions Buffalo (or the other pile/pertex alternatives) are the answer. Worn next to the skin as the only layer, this will keep you toasty and 'dry' in a variety of conditions. I bacame a convert on an occasion when I climbed on Ben Nevis in mid winter (ie periods of high activity followed by long periods standing on a belay ledge in the driving wind with spindrift falling on top of me) and then walked down below the freezing level so that the last hour to the car was in driving rain. At the car I could wring the water out of the top but it was steaming and so was I - wonderfully warm and no

When active you can regulate temperature with the side vents (you cool down very quickly if you overdo it, because your skin is exposed) but the pile works like a wet suit and stays warm even when sodden. The heat from your body and the lack of a true waterproof layer means that it dries very quickly and the pertex keeps the wind out. There is no danger of cooling down and staying damp when your activity stops.

Takes a bit of faith to use it in such conditions for the first time but if you give it a go it'll show you when not to use traditional waterproofs.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

you probably wern't skiing

Rode a couple of mud slides on the way up if that counts. NehNeh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Repeated experiments of this nature wouldn't be why you're called "crispy", would it?

Nope - to be honest I've never seen it done. It might just be an urban myth that's used to gee up heat transfer lectures a little.

Crispy might have something to do with when I set my legs on fire with petrol and removed all the hair off them. Shocked All done in the name of science, of course, illustrating the fire triangle. Fuel + Oxygen + Heat with a box of cooking matches, a can of petrol and a spare Saturday afternoon aged 13.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, that first Velez link is a bit out of date, now. It's cheaper and lighter, etc. now. On the same site you should loot at the user reviews for shell jackets (incidentally, I haven't posted any of those reviews). Also, on the "Starting" forum, there's a thread about Paramo where the inventor of the system explains how it works.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bootneck, I keep mine in either my trouser pocket (the gates are low enough in most places so kids can use them) or the inner/front pocket in the jacket (Velez). Finally, with the Paramo at least, it would not be a lot of effort to add one - the outer material can be stitched.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good idea skanky it was just so much easier last year with a wrist pocket may speak to the local seamstress and see if she could add one for me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bootneck, it's the one downside of a non-ski jacket (that I've found). The other idea is to wear a base/mid layer that has a pocket in the right area.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skanky wrote:
DB, that first Velez link is a bit out of date, now. It's cheaper and lighter, etc. now. On the same site you should loot at the user reviews for shell jackets (incidentally, I haven't posted any of those reviews). Also, on the "Starting" forum, there's a thread about Paramo where the inventor of the system explains how it works.

Here's a more uptodate review

http://www.rab.uk.com/review_vrsmock.html

another review for eVent jackets

http://www.rab.uk.com/review_vrsmock.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry, I said it was cheaper. It isn't. I just got mine cheaper than that (from CCC Online).
snow report
Columbia brought out a a soft shall last year part of the Titanium range, it was last year the lightest model on the market. Price wise far less than any Gore model. (£180 I think) Very comfy, folds into nothing and can easily be worn at home. Why not look at Danesse - newish onto the market, but lovely kit V.V. hard-wearing, style is a little biker-like, but I think its just a little different from the norm. Their pants are just fantastic and fabulously well-cut for lads and lasses!!
And had anyone heard of Kjrss (poss ? on spelling), again new to the market, jackets £350 and up but really lovely kit.
Again biased, but having worked in a shop here for ages there were so many people who found that there was a better choice in resort and the prices were a little lower (not to mention bargaining easier) - why buy at home?
You can't go wrong with ODLO for themals!!!
snow conditions
sarah@alpedhuez, you mean Kjus I think, as in Lasse Kjus the Norwegian racer, based in Switzerland. A basic shell will cost around 600chf and it's a around 1000chf for a lined jacket. Soft shells are all the rage, I was looking at the Salomon one as well. Quite nice, I'm pretty close to buying one I think.
latest report
check out www.beyondfleece.com for made to measure soft shells and fleeces for a very reasonable price. has anyone here got one of these?
snow report
check out www.beyondfleece.com for made to measure soft shells and fleeces for a very reasonable price. has anyone here got one of these?
snow conditions
snowman wrote:
I am also looking to get a new jacket this season and will be very interested in this thread. AFAIK GOre Tex XCR is the most bomber waterproof out there and around 25% more breathable than the std Gore tex but not as breathable as some of the other (?) new materials,

Don't trust their lies!

I have recently bought a Goretex XCR jacket to replace my old goretex coat which is close to the end of its life after 15 full winter seasons. I paid around 115 quid for a shell and detachable fleece. The Goretex rep told me that XCR is indeed 25% more breathable but then went on to say tnat all the breathable fabrics end up pretty much the same after the manufacturer's had glued them into a shell. None of them breath enough for serious climbing on foot when my jacket normally gets stuffed into a rucksack except under more extreme conditions.

I'm going to test the 15 quid Primark ski jacket for next season... looks pretty good for downhill use. As they say in the fashion biz these days... it is either Primark or Prada and Prada ski wear at 1000 quid for a jacket is ridiculous.
snow report
How about that for a bump and a half!!! Well, at least Google is still working.

So, DB, are you still getting on with your ancient Mammut New Age Jacket with Schoeller Dryskin Extreme?

Last winter I bought some pants, sorry trousers, made out of the stuff and really like the way it behaves and feels. Of course, when I look for a jacket made from the same material, I find that everybody's stopped making them. Is it fashion? Didn't it work? Was it just too expensive? Anyway, I'm still keen to try one - even if it means via ebay.
ski holidays
Bumpalicious Laughing
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
As a matter of interest has anybody here suffered much from their jacket not being waterproof when skiing?
I cannot ever recall this having been a problem for me and I have skied for about 20 years in most weathers including rain.

Yes, twice: 1 in feb, 1987, skiing in rain in Bavaria on a "works outing/training course". I would nt have bothered skiing that day if it was recreational but the terms of the course were that we were compelled to ski. I don't remember the Jacket brand or material but it was supplied by the course organisers.
2. Whistler Blackcomb, Xmas 1998? Heavy rain in the lower and mid mountain, and exposure on chairs and lift lines really was miserable. Can in early for a teatime Saketini. Think it wasabi LLBean goretex shell that was 2/3 years old and obv needed reproofing or at least a wash. I think I'd worn it quite a bit with a rucksack (hills, not snow) so the waterproofing had worn off and it just wetted out.

Never had a problem since though, with a variety of jackets, bu still can get wet gloves - am thinking I ll have to go hestra goretex for 2013.
latest report
Blimey, I can't believe that I didn't look at the dates! Wot a sucker!,,
snow report
altis wrote:
So, DB, are you still getting on with your ancient Mammut New Age Jacket with Schoeller Dryskin Extreme?

I've been waiting for you to ask. [wipes tear from eye] Great jacket but I lost it, most likely in an Austrian Apres ski bar. It's probably gone to the "great Wardrobe in the sky" or some scouser is wearing it wink
snow report
I've got a Mountain Hardwear shell jacket in DryQ Elite and it's fantastic. Mega-breathable, flexible and very waterproof. I also have a Rab eVent jacket which is even more breathable but isn't as windproof - the micropores are almost too permeable (they do mention this in the technical blurb) but it is a bit more sturdy than the MH and feels a bit more resistant to battering from stray edges.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy