Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Making use of "boring" terrain

Poster: A snowHead
OK for the 3 so far we've got by popular votes:

1 ILE - but I prefer to call it sidestepping (less techy more visual)
2 Rollerblade wiggles (bit poncey but not downright embarassing) -looks very cool after the last air on mogul comps

What's number 3?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle wrote:
FastMan,
Quote:

with feet hip width apart

This indeed works. Must your skis also be hip width apart for it to work on snow?

Hurtle, no they don't. If you experimented on your own with different foot separations (which I suspect you may have), you'll have found that the wider the feet are apart, the faster you will tip when doing ILE. But ILE will work with any stance width. I just like a nice wide hip width stance for the indoor demonstration drill because it makes the feedback very clear.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob wrote:
Is ILE the same as stomping hard on your inside foot then? How does it differ from a rugby (or basketball) sidestep? Would Jason Robinson be a natural even if he's never been on skis?

Hi Bob. Love your posts by the way. Nice sense of humor. ILE is not like a sidestep because the feet remain in place. The only change is the amount of weight which is assigned to each. Not a stomp,,,, a very subtle downward push, like you're stepping onto thin ice. The aim is to maintain a very acute through the foot feel of the entire process of the the ski you're pushing down on rolling from it's outside edge to its inside edge.

I think a video of high quality ILE transitions being performed may be helpful here. In the link, go down to the freeskiing collection of videos and click on the one of Eric Guay. Very nice display of ILE.

http://www.youcanski.com/video/video_index_en.htm
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret wrote:
FastMan,
Quote:

Some very good ones in there Bob

do you have any other gems you can share in addition to the ILE exercise (which i like the sound of)

skimottaret, I have a million of them. All depends what you're shooting to accomplish. For starters though, take a look at this article. It's a collection of some early season warm up drills that are in fact good to refresh on frequently. And yes, that's your's truly in the montage at the top, performing an aft balance drill.

http://forums.modernskiracing.com/index.php?showtopic=46&st=0#entry164

We plan to video document many of these drills on our site this summer, with written descriptions of how to execute them, and what training purpose they're designed to serve. Eventually the goal is to have a complete video drill library available.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, the "ILE" is definitely not a sidestep. I does work very well, giving you a very early start to the turn and good drive throughout it - with the result that you come out of it going pretty fast. In your case I think you'd probably have to start with your feet a bit further apart than what seemed your normal skiing position, so the leverage to move your COM into the beginning of the new turn.

What do I do (other than finding more interesting slopes)? Lots of one foot stuff - either completely on one foot or practicing "charleston" and what veeeight calls "white pass" turns; short swings - get them faster and more dynamic; more recently ankle rolls and alternating narrow and wide stance carved turns.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FastMan, Thanks great links i will be checking out those sites in detail and look forward to your video drill documentaries.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ILE sounds to me like what I think/know of as pedalling (a bike)? See, it all comes back to how individuals learn

fatbob wrote:
2 Rollerblade wiggles (bit poncey but not downright embarassing) -looks very cool after the last air on mogul comps

Ya think? I always think it makes them look a bit like a gay waiter Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FastMan, Is it the camera angle or is Eric's inside ski coming slightly off the ground as he crosses from one side to another - especially those first few turns & one at the end?

Hehe, I'm doing MA on Eric Guay Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
skimottaret,
Quote:

inside hip crossover

Puzzled Puzzled

Kinda hard to explain in writing but I have a major flaw in my my skiing whereby at the transition to a new turn my inner hip is lagging behind and i collapse at the waist. to fix this the inner hip needs to rotate forward and extend upward (using ILE) earlier in the turn. these two motions cause "crossover" which is getting your center of mass outside the skis.

I am not a coach and may not be correct in this explaination but it is the best i can do snowHead

I could be wrong but Fastman refers to this movement as waist steering, check out his site for a detailed explaination

http://www.modernskiracing.com/WaistSteering.php
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob wrote:
Is ILE the same as stomping hard on your inside foot then? How does it differ from a rugby (or basketball) sidestep? Would Jason Robinson be a natural even if he's never been on skis?

Not sure it's called ILE, but that sidestep move works - it needs to be down the hill, rather that across it though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

or is Eric's inside ski coming slightly off the ground

It's not a crime, you know!

That is a good habit to get into. It demonstrates that you are commited to the (new) outside ski early in the turn.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DOH! - note to self, go to last page before posting.

If you haven't played Rugby, and sidesteped, it will be hard to appreciate it; but that feeling is very much akin to what RJS had me doing at Cas towards the end of last year. If that was an ILE then the feel is very similar indeed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh, quick note. Rollerblade Turns.

All this talk of mincing. When done correctly - it does not involve the hip at all. I see many people trying to do this excercise, and they are wiggling the hip around like mad.

ONLY ankles and knees. Hip remains absolutely static.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, Thanks. Principles of waist steering very interesting to someone who does a lot of Pilates. FastMan writes very clearly indeed. Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
veeeight wrote:
Quote:

or is Eric's inside ski coming slightly off the ground

It's not a crime, you know!

That is a good habit to get into. It demonstrates that you are commited to the (new) outside ski early in the turn.

Really, now that is an eye-opener for me as I've been under the impression that modern technique was towards a more 50/50 stance?

Once the new inside ski is engaged is it not harder to then pressure it if it's been off the snow/totally unweighted for a short period, as opposed to it being in contact with the snow all the time, albeit with minimum pressure applied?

I presume this is just an on-piste move as it would cause 'pedalling' problems off-piste? If so why develop a technique that can't be used on all terrain?
snow report
OK Time to bring back one of the skiing myths about 50:50.........
snow report
spyderjon, Mosha Marc, the sidestep works, but it's a completely different movement to ILE (yes eng_ch, ILE sounds to me like half of the "pedalling" idea - I was trying to remember what we call it, as I've never heard of ILE except here). Look at most of the faster racers at regional level or above and you'll see them lifting the inside ski on some turns, and a bit of a sidestep too - which is actually a small skate - mostly between the gates. Very useful for gaining a bit of extra speed - provided you do it smoothly - particularly on a flat part of the course, at the start, or in the final mad dash for the finishing line.

As for not employing "a technique that can't be used on all terrain" - choose the right horse for the course. "Pedalling" is vitally important for high performance on a hard smooth surface, but soft snow requires a much more two-footed action as it's a totally different environment. Your requirement to match your movements to what the surface is telling you is pretty similar though - it's just different inputs require different outputs.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 18-05-07 12:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
veeeight wrote:
OK Time to bring back one of the skiing myths about 50:50.........

Yeh, I fully understand your 'myth' thread - I should maybe have used the term two-footed rather than 50/50.

veeeight, but actually lifting the inside ski off the ground? Wouldn't you get pulled on that if you did it in a instructor exam?

And I'll re-ask the same questions:

Once the new inside ski is engaged is it not harder to then pressure it if it's been off the snow/totally unweighted for a short period, as opposed to it being in contact with the snow all the time, albeit with minimum pressure applied?

Your myth thread says this would cause a problem in soft snow as I thought so why develop a technique that can't be used on all terrain?

Sorry to be a pain but this is important to me.
GrahamN, thanks for that, I was responding to V8 while you were posting.

Ok I see it now. So what your saying is that this is really a racing thing & yes, I can see the benefits in that environment.

BTW I was struggling to get the ILE/side step movement but your description of it being a 'small skate' really works for me (Cool) & I know I'm made this move myself before, although I think somewhat unwittingly.

In the past I'd been practising getting committed on the new outside ski by slightly lifting the inside one - with the added 'balance test' benefit as described in V8's myth post. Now I'm trying to develop my off-piste skiing I currently working on a more even 'non pedalling' stance for soft snow so that's the horse I'm riding at the moment.
snow report
spyderjon, just to reiterate, unless I've completely misunderstood what's being talked about, ILE and the sidestep/skate are totally different things. I would think of the sidestep as an action as the very last movement coming out of a turn whereas the ILE would be the very first movement going into it - albeit a subtle distinction when you're making slalom shaped turns.

While I don't know so, I could well imagine a trainee instructor being pulled on lifting - AIUI it's really only something you should do once you've got the parallel carve sorted out, and then only when appropriate, or as part of a drill Wink .
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
DOH! - note to self, go to last page before posting.

If you haven't played Rugby, and sidesteped, it will be hard to appreciate it; but that feeling is very much akin to what RJS had me doing at Cas towards the end of last year. If that was an ILE then the feel is very similar indeed.

Yep - this is what I was thinking

Moving right
Plant right foot
(Foot presumably rolls from outstep to instep)
Push off 45 deg to left front

Of couse in skiing it isn't a step as (being a lazy barsteward) I wouldn't dream of trying to lift either ski physically off the snow except where strictly necessary wink )
latest report
GrahamN, that's not the side step I meant.

It's hard to decribe, but imagine you're on a right to left turn - so the majority of my weight has ended up on my right foot. As you finish the turn you find yourself in the ankles flexed/fully angulated bit just before starting to initiate the next turn.

Now I'm trying to get my hips/mass/gut over the skis and down the falline as far as I can from my feet and as fast as I can - not waiting for the skis, but launching down the falline. To do this I find myself driving off my left foot. It's that drive that feels a lot like a sidestep from other sports.
snow report
spyderjon, We did lots of sidestep and ILE drills during the BASI course i was on but at 3 level you would be pulled up for lifting a ski during "exams".

the trainers were keen to see quick edge to edge movements at transition and hip crossover showing a good level of angulation at the waist while not banking or leaning, with the shoulders keeping level to the terrain. Outside ski dominance was drilled into us but retaining some pressure on the inner ski in variable terrain was of course needed.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, OK...with you now (trying to cast mind back over 30 years to my last game of schoolboy rugger), and that sounds much more like the same kind of thing.
snow conditions
spyderjon, ahem - thinking of the ice at the PSB ..... 2 footed skiing is a very bad idea when it's that slippery.

As an old school skier, lifting the inside foot and stepping onto the new ski is a natural thing for me. I'm deffo gettin gbetter and not doing it, but when I'm not thinking or paying attention to my skiing I'm afraid I revert. However there is a difference between a ski coming off the ground slightly because all the weight is on the other one, and actually makin gan effort to lift it. that can be a good exercise, but is a bad habit.
latest report
Peeps should be reading both this and the edges thread as the discusion is converging.

I do turns on one ski, where I literally pick the inside ski up...but again, you must be aware that there is a time and a place for it. One trick does not do it all.

Learn and evolve, thats my aim.......... but it can be slow...!!! Laughing
snow report
spyderjon, Ideal is of course to keep both skis in contact with the snow.

During an exam - if the whole ski came off then there are issues to be sorted out. But if only the tail of the ski came off the snow, and it was quite apparent that this was as a result (as opposed to a deliberate action) of holding the inside ski back, then then examiners would see that this candidate was trying to get more early performance out of the outside ski, rather than any lateral or fore-aft balance issues.

The examiner would then have a call to make. Is he going to award marks for "pretty" skiing, or "functional performance" skiing Little Angel

Even in soft snow I still aim and have a dominant outside ski early in the turn. One of the few situations that I've encountered where this is not the case is true, bottomless powder, as in heli-skiing. All other situations I pretty much have a dominant outside ski.
latest report
 brian
brian
JT, I'm reading them both. Feeling completely lost most of the time but reading them both nonetheless Laughing

I don't think I do an old school lift any more but I might be wrong. Anyone who's seen me ski remember ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, you mean sort of "stand" on the old uphill ski/outside ski to initiate the turn?
ski holidays
brian wrote:
JT, I'm reading them both. Feeling completely lost most of the time but reading them both nonetheless Laughing

I don't think I do an old school lift any more but I might be wrong. Anyone who's seen me ski remember ?

Too hard to tell with the speed blur Laughing
snow report
easiski, Yes I remember so well that I'll never ever forget it. Had plenty of icey stuff in Tignes at Xmas & after your lesson & also seeing JT's 'pick-up Pete' move (Laughing) I handled it like a true pro.

veeeight, yes lifting only the tail of the ski is how JT does it & I was very impressed with the amount of grip he had on the super hard boilerplate LDA glacier at the PSB last year. Thanks for the explaination of what's ideal & what an examiner would look for as that fits with my view. I also understand what you're saying when you state that "even in soft snow I still aim and have a dominant outside ski early in the turn", as you can then add as much pressure to the inside ski during the rest of the turn as you see fit.

I can see both Mosha Marc's & GrahamN's different versions of their side step move & how that would work but I'm still can't visualise this ILE move at all - anyone care to give me a one paragraph guide written for a slow learner?
snow report
eng_ch wrote:
Mosha Marc, you mean sort of "stand" on the old uphill ski/outside ski to initiate the turn?

I think "stand" is the wrong word as it implies no movement. It's more trying to push down the hill off the old inside ski.
ski holidays
This is quite a nice thread in that it debunks a few 'absolutes' in my mind. veeeight says he has a dominant ski in most cases and reacts against that when conditions dictate. brian and fatbob use this as well, although fatbob is often split well over two skis. brian starts most turns in moguls with a one-footed 'set' almost, and he deals with them very effectively I don't think it is a problem for them at all, from what I have seen them ski although, like most of us, they might be harder on themselves than observers are.
I certainly have a one foot bias and will indeed load one ski almost entirely if I can. My mates used to call me 'pick and plonk' which kind of makes you want to fix it...Laughing
I do not like the idea at all of the inside ski lagging.....

You will need more than the one turn to navigate all the different conditions so adapting a good core set of mechanics should be the goal.
Even self-taught peeps will mostly be re-evaluating themselves just not so much in the context of a formal lesson.
It might help if we have a few warm ups rather thna pitch straight in....Laughing Laughing

spyderjon, I do that as an exercise...Laughing, it is just a bit of fun at speed. It is my way of testing what the edges are like. I was most pleased with it on the ice at Zinal..they had closed the resort black due to ice and even had nets across to catch people at various points but even that stuff wasn't as bad as the bottom of the PSB late in the day. So if you can handle that stuff, you are setting them very well, IMV. Notice even some of the racers had a bit of trouble...!!!!
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
eng_ch wrote:

I think "stand" is the wrong word as it implies no movement. It's more trying to push down the hill off the old inside ski.

OK, I grant you I didn't define my terms, but what you've written is what I mean by "stand" because you have to transfer (some) weight to that ski in order to push it, don't you?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
The chat about "push off one leg" bit reminded me of the extreme guys, here's Vallencant in action (excellent close up of his turns at about 1.15). Admittedly I wouldn't call the terrain boring !! Laughing

https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/504/v.avi
snow conditions
brian,

Great vid..

How do they get it to look that steep...??? Laughing
snow report
brian,
It was interesting seeing that drill, but I think he only did it because he hadn't learned how to carve properly on those old fashioned skis.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
skimottaret, Thanks. Principles of waist steering very interesting to someone who does a lot of Pilates. FastMan writes very clearly indeed. Smile

Hurtle,

Now you understand my comment on him being one of the best.... very coherent explanations... and as I use that stuff a lot to work out what I'm doing/not doing/trying to do etc I find him a very good instructor - even for my non-aggressive skiing style...

He also is very relaxing to ski with (although how that works when he has me skiing way faster than I'd chose, I'm not sure)
snow report
little tiger, Indeed. Must be great to be taught by him in person.
ski holidays
Hurtle,

Yes - he has inspired me to want do something I'd not really considered possible,

I see you are thinking of skiing with Easiski - she is also a great teacher, and I'd be pretty trusting of her suggestions for other instructors afetr having a lesson with Fred on her say so...

As an idea of what great instructors these 2 are... I believe Fastman is sending Easiski my report card after he finishes writing it (hint)... and I know they communicated re my skiing earlier also... This is ABOVE and beyond what I'd expect... shows their dedications to students improvement...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy