Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice, Instructing in Europe

Poster: A snowHead
GrahamN, yes, indeed. It's the rational knowledge vs gut belief that I struggle with and only miles under the belt will remedy that I suspect. I actually need to pick up speed as I tend to ski far slower than my technique should allow safely - 10 minutes with Charlotte and my speed at least doubled. I saw a couple of videos of myself last season and whilst I was pleasantly surprised by my stance and movements (however bad I am, I imagined much worse), I was shocked by how hesitant I looked on occasion when I didn't actually feel remotely hesitant. As you so concisely say, experience.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
little tiger wrote:
If I feel technically safe then higher speeds feel the same....

Yes indeed - we all seem to be on the same hymn sheet there
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret wrote:
Thanks again for sticking with this and i think it has clarified a very murky subject and perhaps debunked a few myths about how "unfair" the French system is.

Quote:

says all the Brits attached to the ESI via the ESS here are fine and happy.

are any Grade 3's or ISIA's in that group or are they all ISTD's?

None of them are ISTDs - they're all back working for Jeremy and earning big bucks (like Euan and Robin). The ones working at the ESI (in conjunction with the ESS) are all stagiares so they are therefore less than ISTD.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rungsp wrote:
So to be a good physics teacher is it best to have a physics degree and then teacher training?

Or should it be compulsory to have been an outstanding astrophysicist before you are allowed to teach?

Even if not perfectly framed question....you get my drift!

Sorry to the Francophiles here but I think the French system is fundementally flawed. I am 100% sure that the best American, Canadian, Swiss (or even British!) instructors are just as good as the best French.
I am equally sure that the average are comparable in terms of teaching ability....and I stress teaching rather than skiing.

Have some coaching from Warren Smith and his guys....and afterwards ask yourself if it would have been improved had they passed a racing test.

VBut the Swiss and the British exams are almost the same as the French and include virtually the same GS to get to the top level. It is equivalent to a degree followed by teacher training - not a virtuoso. 24% of 0 FIS points is quite a lot.

edit: I now see that Graham N had already made the point.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hi everybody, at some parts along the road to ISTD I did feel like I might as well be becoming an astrophysicist!! Having gained the diploma though I now feel it is a responsibilty of that qualification to understand and learn from all other instructor and coaching organisations, they all have something to give. In my experience the top level of all qualifications is pretty much the same. It is only the lower levels under each system that tend to differ.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
euangoneskiing, congrats on getting your ISTD. snowHead must have been a long tough road.

to help us understand the realities of working in France were you able to work in france before you passed your Eurotest? did you work at a centre de formation? did you qualify through BASI or ENSA?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
euangoneskiing, Now you've posted - congrats! You'll need to explain the system. Rather too many pages to go right through, but all advice seems to be conflicting. Where are you at the moment? Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hello everybody, yes I worked in France before I got the euro test. I qualified through BASI but with that have obtained my equivalance in both France and Association Maestri di Sci Italiano ( AMSI ) .

After getting the ISIA ( Basi Grade 2 , now with additional test technique slalom ) I applied to the JDS in Grenoble to get the BEES form which allows you to work in France as a Stagiere for 3 years. In simple terms this means you have to work for a ski school who is allowed to run a stagiere programme. Not all ski schools are allowed to do this.

As a stagiere you may not be allowed to work all season, but this allowed me plenty time to train and go to Eurotests!!

As for ENSA a friend of mine went on the first programme they ran IN ENGLISH last year. THe feedback was brilliant and the level of skiing was apparently inspiring. I think the French are sometimes misunderstood in our minds as BASI and Foreign instructors. Recently they have really tried to accept foreign instructors to France but through their system. I think trying to encourage more integration into their ski schools. There are many Brits working for the ESF, especially in the 3 valleys.

Hi Charlotte, I am in the UK for bit, hope all is well
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
euangoneskiing, Give me a bell when you get back - I'll probably have moved by then. Very Happy Unless you fancy doing a bit of wall bashing of course? When/are you off to Kiwi?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
euangoneskiing, not wanting to quiz you too much but we have had a lot of confusion over the realities of working in France with a BASI qualification. I agree with you that the French are trying to get more English speakers into their ranks. THey have english translations on their web sites and are offering more English speaking training courses like the one you mentioned. Not "protectionist" in my opinion....

Did you work in france with your grade3?

So far it seem to me that the following is correct, what do you recon?
============================================

BASI Grade 3's that have passed the Test Technique can then enter the ENSA system, do a two week training course and then become Stagiaires at a ski school with Centre de Formation status and continue their training through the French system.

ISIA's that have passed the TT can work for three years at a ski school with Centre de Formation while training for the Eurotest. This time limit can be extended for injury, pregnancy, etc.

ISIA's that have passed the Eurotest can work indefinitely at any French ski school.

Only ISTD's can work independently and take out private clients.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hello there, yes you are correct except I would question ISIA's being able to work indefinately with the euro test but little else. We should check this!

Charlotte, I will be in home towords the end of July before going to New Zealand, good luck with the moving!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
euangoneskiing, where in NZ are you off to?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
revolutionski, You can work in Austria. Most Austrian ski schools will take ski instructors who have some kind of qualification from an association of ski instructors. With ISIA you should be able to get a job no problem. Does your ISIA include an off piste exam ( like the BASI ISIA ski teacher)? This is something at ISIA level the Austrians insist on. In their ISIA level LANDESSCHILERHER its a 7 day off piste course. I know a ski instructor with BASI ski instructor award and he was making €20 an hour last season.

Austria is part of the Euro group, however the Euro group( austria) only recognises the national diploma as equal to the other members. Austria has a 4 tier system.

Anwarter - entry level award
Landesschilerher - ISIA
Staatlicher - Diploma
Schi Fuhrer - ski guide

The ISIA is starting a new system with 2 levels. Ski instructors with the highest award from their region who meet the minimum ISIA levels will get the silver stamp. Ski instructors who have the national diploma (ISTD) will get a pro card.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dont know yet, I have a car organised, I am going to fill the boot with ski kit and see where I end up, or where the good snow takes me !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
euangoneskiing, So you're coming home too late to help with any of the "grunt" work - Robin could do with some help too! Toofy Grin You might get to the house warming party though - haven't decided when that'll be.
latest report
I am still confused, have I got it right, with a NZSIA ISIA plus TT you could be employed in France as a stagiere, then you would have 3 years to do the Euro Test?
snow conditions
juice, Yes.

If you then don't do the EuroTest within 3 years you are no longer welcome in France as a Ski Instructor/Teacher.
latest report
juice, and i believe you can only work for ski school while training for the eurotest that has Centre du Formation status which is a larger school that trains stagieres....
ski holidays
speaking to a couple of guys who work as stagiares in the 3V's this week some of the info i posted a while back is wrong

BASI Grade 3's that have passed the Test Technique can then enter the ENSA system, do a two week training course and then become Stagiaires at a ski school with Centre de Formation status and continue their training through the French system.

ISIA's that have passed the TT can work for three years at a ski school with Centre de Formation while training for the Eurotest. This time limit can be extended for injury, pregnancy, etc.

ISIA's that have passed the Eurotest can work indefinitely at any French ski school.

this is wrong and you must not only pass your eurotest but ISTD course within 3 years (4 seasons)

Only ISTD's can work independently and take out private clients.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy