Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressoney?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Father in law has booked us all on a hol next march to Gressoney and I was just wondering if anyone knows what it's like as a ski area and as a resort. Whats it like for bars, eating out and shops? We'll be a mixed bag of skiers, with some happy on blues and some happy enough to do reds/blacks.
Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davef, Welcome to snowHead s.

I've never been, but I'm sure someone who has will be along shortly
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davef, welcome. As a resort for mixed abilities, it should suit everyone. Nightlife is very quiet, a few hotel bars only. As for shops, there isn't really any.

I went there last year & loved the ambience of the place.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As ssnowman says, not much cop for bars/shops/nightlife.

Skiing is extensive - it covers a big area with not that many pistes as I recall. As such, it feels nice and airy. Views to the Monte Rosa are great. You can visit Champoluc and Alagna by ski which makes for a bit of variety. Off Piste is epic. Some great lunch stops at the mountain hut/hotels. Good piste maintenance/grooming.

There are actually a couple of 'Gressonies'. St Jean (I think) which is down the valley and has its own small area not connected to the rest of the Monte Rosa area and Trinite which is at the top of the valley and connected to the rest. I've only been to the Trinite one.

One other thing that sticks in my mind is having a (good) capucino at the top of the gondola for 1 euro. Mind you, it was about 4 years ago, but I would imagine that the cheapness still applies.

Funily enough I was thinking of going somewhere in the Monte Rosa next year, so perhaps I'll see you there.

d
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great ski area, short on piste numbers but long on piste length, long but quick lifts - can be very cold, snow depths better late season. Proper italian hot chocolates. Well run, but best of all is the off piste. I've not been since `the piste into Alagna has opened, but there are some epic guide only runs, and heliskiing if
Quote:
Father in law
can stump up the €450 for a day out in Zermatt and Valtournanche via heli lift to the Monte Rosa plateau. You will love it, but as pendodave says, night life is pretty home made
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Best skiing in Italy. Arguably the Alps.

Gressoney St Jean has trees, so good for days when it's puking.

Gressoney trinitie leads to some superb skiing.

And then there's Alagna Very Happy

Pretty quiet when I was there in January 1996.

Doubt it's changed too much.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the info, sounds pretty good although i don't think we'll be up for the offpiste. Just got to put it out of my head now till next year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davef,
Quote:

i don't think we'll be up for the offpiste

Good for you to spot that some of these recommendations were from people who had run away with their own enthusiasm without properly reading your post! wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Best skiing in Italy. Arguably the Alps.

Is it really?

Wouldn't bother this reply but its next door neighbour is Cervinia, much bigger, linked to Zermatt and has the Matterhorn too.

Haven't done Gressoney yet but staying in Aosta Valley only apart from Cervinia/Zermatt there is also Courmayeur next to mighty Mont Blanc. If La Thuile isn't attractive enough I am sure the skiers on the linked French side of La Roseiere would claim it is also the best too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Went to Cervinia two years ago at easter, thought it was grerat. Stayed at Crystals Petit Palais, nice place but the food was awful. Still, it gave everyone there something to talk about!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davef,

3 ski villages in the Gressoney valley. St Jean which is the lowest and biggest..not linked to the main stuff so you will have to bus into le Trinity to get up and over to Champoluc or Alagne.
Le Trinite..a few bars and a few local shops and a smattering of hotels...and thats it. If you aren't skiing, then...??
Staffal... a few kms up the valley from Le Trinite and even smaller and quieter, once most peeps are off the slops then thats it.
Alagne is even quieter

Piste skiing is motorway and uninspring, although Champoluc is better, IMV. If you don't take advanatge of the Off-piste and the Guiding then there are far better places to go for. Heli ski and guided ops are very very good.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tremendous variety and amount of terrain for all levels (including the poster, my bad)
Superb snow (at least when I was there)
Inexpensive
NO lift lines
Great food
Wonderful views

And for those who can, some of the best off-piste I've ever skied. And I've skied quite a bit over 5 continents.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow, hmmm, you must have been very lucky in your experience to suggest "best skiing...the alps".

davef, That said, I don't want to criticise somewhere that we ski quite regularly (and I think JT sums up better), Monterosa's a great system for a mixed group. I would contradict him and suggest that if you're on piste mainly then Gressoney (being in the middle of the system) is probably the best starting point. As well as having the most varied interlinked skiing that's close to town.

You also get Aostan hospitality, food and great value for money. Shopping I have no idea but I am sure the locals buy groceries/skis/etc. somewhere. Bars - well there does seem to be a lively Scandi bar appearing - but I have no idea if it's open at night. But I have only ever traversed the part of the village between the bubble and the cable car so have no real idea!

If you want recommendations on onslope eating, and other slope related tips ask or PM. To establish some semblance of credibility we ski from Champoluc pretty often...and my better half was partially brought up there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Born lucky David Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great Terrain, but probably has the worse snow record in the alps! All the prevailing NW storms hardly ever get to this area, you need one of the big ones off the Med, these are few and far between, butwhen they do happen are normally pretty intense, IE BIG SNOW....
snow report
Thanks again to everyone for the advise, i may start asking questions a bit closer to time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy