Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best days of the season

Poster: A snowHead
Thought a little thread enabling everyone to post about their favourite days of last season might be nice; top 1/3/5/10 whatever - where, approximately when and why.

In no particularly order of preference mine:

Mt Baker - 17th Dec - First day of my winter,excluding PSB, great snow
Alpental - 25th Dec - 16 inches, Xmas day, only hard core locals and me around, 50 person chinese downhill for fresh lines
La Grave - End February - great group, body falling apart but snow was so nice and even a little bit of visibility
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob,

I really injoyed LG with you guys
Had a great time over in Serrre C with BC and G..very underated resort for picking little bits off
and Andermatt and Val D A were pretty neat as well.

I have been so lucky this year with the snow...and we found stashes pretty well much all the time.

It would be easier to pick a bad day rather than a fave... but then I am struggling there as well.

I've had a blinding time this year..... so much for no snow..!! Cool Laughing Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
L2A - 19th January - last day of my week there and there had been the first real snowfall of the week the night before; after my morning lesson with easiski in the afternoon achilles aztec and mraztec decided that they were going for some off piste runs (somewhere between petit diable and vallons) and I was following (although I was a hors piste virgin) great fun and I survived.

St Sorlin D'Arves - 15th February - had a 1 hour private lesson every day that week, mainly for my 11 year old daughter but with me tagging along. Towards the end of the week I tried to follow them down the slalom course, couldnt keep up then fell Embarassed the trend continued through the week and later in the winter as she got faster and better.

L2A (again) - 24th March - always have a weekend away with a mate (only time he skis) who has only got about 2 weeks in total and refuses to have lessons. Persuaded him to have a lesson with easiski and the next day got him down from the the top of the glacier (3450m) to Les Cretes (2100), took much of the afternoon but he got a great sense of achievement.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
27th March, Homewood.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had 2 trips last season, best 2 days were:

PSB: The friday in the terrain park. OK, so the snow wasn't great, but I had a great day chillin out with the other dudes.

La Rosiere: In general the conditions were disappinting. Two days of wind with a day of rain, but it all worked out well for my last day, spent mostly on the La Thuile side. I skied from first to last lift Excellent day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Third week in March in the 2 out of the 4 days in Italian Cervinia I could cross over the Swiss side Zermatt and that was magical; sunshine, wind no strong enough to give the resort the excuse to close the link, perfect snow and rode trains instead of chairlifts to the top of slopes.

The week after in Milky Way San Sicario was outstanding as in perfect weather and snow condition we arrived at the top of a freshly gloomed Olympic run with nobody else except two of us.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
28 Jan - Solaise area of Val d'Isere. Back on skis for the first time in 11 years, interspersed by a sunny lunch with great friends. Fan-bloody-tastic.

2 March - sneaky Friday off work and a girly day on the slopes in Laax.

24 March - awesome snow, cold, sunny weather in Les Arcs. Did my first black run (with 4-year-old nephew and 6-year-old niece!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Courchevel 11 April - Gregory and I did our first 'proper' off piste run together. Dropping off the side of a track, the sort that novices steer away from as they perceive it as a 'drop', then taking our own route out of sight (just) of the piste. Not only did he 'handle' it, he positively enjoyed it.
The following descent we chose to take it easy and come down the Combe de la Saulire, a red piste. On the way down, he demonstrated to me how he could make 'parallel lines with his skis' as the instructor had taught them the difference between a carving turn and a 'normal' turn that day.
"It's great" he said, "because you can turn without having to slow down!".

2 major landmarks in 2 successive runs: that's a good day snowHead

Jumping the Eiger Gletscher Railway Gallery

From a more selfish perspective though, most of the days at the MSB in Wengen (17th-24th Mar) vie for consideration simply on account of the snow conditions - "like heliskiing but less noisy" as our guide said.
Perhaps the day Lampbus and I jumped the gallery of the Eiger Gletscher railway into snow so soft we hardly knew when we'd landed snowHead

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 24-05-07 9:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"Negotiating" an itinerary in Verbier in January on the Warren Smith course. I'd torn my calf muscle on the Sunday afternoon and wasn't quite fit enough or good enough for the course. However in spite of falling at nearly every turn and thanks to the patience of Jim the instructor I got down and even linked a few turns at the bottom. It was one of several of those did I ski that moments as I looked back up. The first of those was skiing down to meeting point!

Loved it so much I am going back next year. Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lucked out with a day in Meringen Hasliberg when it had snowed a foot or so up top. I seperated from my mates because I wanted to do this face down to the resturant where they were eating. Mine were only the 4th set of tracks on the whole side and when I got down a guide said something.... I asked him to repeat it, thinking it was a bollocking for skiing it on my own, when he said, "nice tracks" etc......

Groovy....!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MSB in Wengen definitely qualifies as one of the best in season, perhaps best ever, on account of the fresh snow that no one bother to track out! I wish I can say the same about the visibility (or the lack of) though.

Also a day at Pico, Vermont, a resort I've always driven right pass numerous time on my way to Killington without ever going in. A day after small amount of snow, and they DON'T groom it, which is great! I'll go more often next season.

Another day at Killington RIGHT AFTER a foot of snow. Need I say more?

All in all, I had the devil's luck this past season. Always arriving either right before (Wengen) or right after (Killington) a large amount of snow fall, on days that are NOT crowded so I had the fresh powder all to myself. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
24th Jan - wednesday. Same Wozza Schmidt course as ianmacd, Linds, spyderjon, etc., meant to be the rest day, but Jon had talked me into having a private lesson with one of the coaches.

Turned out to be a proper powder day.

Next day - Stairway To Heaven. First "named" off-piste run I'd done, and first I'd had to stick my skis on my pack to reach. The climb did loose its appeal after the fourth time I have to say.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First couple of days in La Grave with fellow snowHead s. The third day was great but I was too nackered to fully enjoy it.
4 days of guided skiing in Alpe d'Huez. Some truly great skiing; some interesting scrambling and a couple of rides in a heli. A bit of everything
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Wednesday of W/C 17th March in Meribel/Courcheval. Snow was the best I've ever experienced in Europe, absolute hero snow. Up there with the best of N. America. The sun came out and hardly anybody was skiing off-piste. I couldn't believe it and I couldn't cycle the lifts fast enough. I'd got a tracker booked for the next day but it was just too good to miss and I was shattered by the end of the day (and as it turned out the next day was a bit of a nightmare).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flaine, March 11 Razz

Epic day after 5 of us night spent sleeping in the car because I forgot that someone was staying in our apartment in Flaine Puzzled
Thank god we had a day like this or I would have be lynched by my friends!

Hope these images are quicker to load..........
latest report
3.5 out of 6 days in La Rosiere w/c 11th Feb
6 out of 6 days in Les Menuires w/c 1st April
Simply superb fun with friends and family, and some great skiing
ski holidays
norris, schwing! Toofy Grin

[and nice one for resizing the images wink ]
snow conditions
Getting zingered in St Moritz during March was the highlight of the season. Did not see a cloud for almost 2 weeks.
snow report
Livigno 1/3, found a beautiful bowl at the back of the main gondola and hammered it in the sun for 3 hours. Went down for a very nice italian lunch at the bottom of the hill, then played off piste for the rest of the day. Finished it with some great apres still in my boots. Happy days.
snow report
11th April. Chamonix. Mates wedding. Top.
snow report
lancemaria, welcome to snowHead great isn't it Very Happy
snow conditions
Wednesday 28th Feb Red mountain 25cm of the freshest lightest pow (following on from 20cm the previous 3 days). Bumped into an instructor who showed us the way to the best steep tree runs on the mountain. 1st run - best run ever, second run - new best run ever, third run... Run after run of fresh tracks - pillow drops, launching off moguls, small cliffs, etc Where was the Warren Miller crew eh!! snowHead

Thursday 1st March (the next day!) Big Red Cats (somewhere near red mountain) One of the guides gets out the cat halfway up to do a snow depth measurement - gets back in with a huge grin - another 36cm of white smoke overnight!! First run needed to deploy the snorkel - couldn't see a thing. Waist deep super light pow fresh tracks all day!! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy