Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter school holidays. La Plagne or La Rosiere?

Poster: A snowHead
After some great help from this forum and a little research I've boiled the family Easter 2008 trip options down to either La Plagne or La Rosiere.

I'd appreciate people’s thoughts - especially if you've visited one or both resorts.

The goal is a 'family friendly' resort that will be (relatively) quiet during the Easter school holidays (April 5th to 12th 2008), and has a centre of shops and restaurants near by.

La Ros seems to fit the bill for the kids, however, from going over this forum there seems to be a consensus that the terrain there is a little limited for intermediate to advanced skiers (and a boarder). I.e. Am i likely to get bored cruising easy reds all day?

If anyone favours 'La Plagne' - do you have a particular village in mind?

Thanks very much for any advice

Ian
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't get too hung up on easter school holidays as they are varying wildly - easter is 23rd march and schools are apparently deciding randomly whether to take the holidays over easter, at a point giving "the right size" term or at some other time, maybe so the head can get a cheap holiday?

Never been to either resport so can't help that way sorry
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IANL100, I've not stayed in La Ros so can't comment on what the village is like, but when I've gone there for day trips I have found the piste skiing to be a bit dull. Even though it's more varied on the Italian side of the domain I think that advanced skiers might get a bit bored, especially when compared to what is on offer in La Plagne (or the entire Paradiski domain).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IANL100, We went to La Thuile this easter (and skied to La Ros) and La Plagne last easter.
IMO the skiing gets better and more varied the closer you get to La Thuile but there is plenty of it in the linked resorts and the atmosphere is more family friendly than most places we have been.
We stayed in La Plagne 1800 (Ski Beat)in 2006 which was fine but has few facilities. We needed to go up to Plagne Centre for most things (bus or car needed). There is masses of skiing but we didn't think there was a lot of piste variation; a day or two in Les Arcs was fun but more like a tour than real skiing. We did pass through Belle Plagne a few times which had a few shops and restaurants and was ski in and out; concensus was that if we went back to La Plagne it would be there.
Can't comment on the village life in La Ros but as you know there are many here who can and will wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IANL100, I suspect that 5th April is also French Holidays for Zone B: Aix-Marseille, Amiens, Besançon, Dijon, Lille, Limoges, Nice, Orléans-Tours, Poitiers, Reims, Rouen, Strasbourg. I am fairly sure that resorts will be fairly busy. We had a mid week day trip to Val Thorens from Les Menuires at Easter and vowed not to go back until the Saturday as it was heaving. You have to balance the crowds against the terrain. Limited hard stuff in La Rosiere at any time, but the 2 best runs will most likely to be closed due to the Lateness in the Season. If you dont mind a 10 minute drag then you will struggle to find better snow than in North facing La Thuile. Added to that is the quiet "safeness" of La Rosiere which I think is hard to beat. In the quiet season I would choose La Plagne, in the busy season it would Be La Rosiere.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IANL100, Have a read of this thread to give some good common sense views click here

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 14-05-07 16:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IANL100, I've been to both and both have their merits. For the terrain you want then La Plagne is going to be your best bet, though there are lots of blues (perhaps Les Arcs - linked of course - would be better for those wanting the steep stuff?) I stayed in Belle Plagne, and for ski-in ski-out I don't think you'll better it. Nice run down to Plagne Bellecote for the Roche de Mio or across to Les Arcs via l'Arpette first thing to warm up though queues can take 10-15 minutes to clear through. Crystal are in Hotel Turquoise right on the piste for kid-friendly stuff. Great food in the hotel though Crystal's organisation of the rest of the holiday sucks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well...now that I am in the know about Resort X, I'd have to say it looks the place to go.

But if you must choose between La Plagne and la Rosier...I'd point out that La Plagne means The Plain.
IE it is flippin flat!

If you want somewhere that is unchallengingly flat on piste (though it does have some good backcountry stuff) then that is the place to go.
That obviously has advantages for some skiers, and good luck to them. Your post implies that you are advanced, or that some of you are.
If that is the case I'd either plan on being off piste with a guide....or somewhere else altogether.

Don't know La Rosiere, except that according to some snowheads it is even better than Resort X.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IANL100, La Plagne is the most popular French resort by visitor numbers, so it's going to be busy at easter. I agree with rungsp, IMO it is just about the most boring resort I've skied. There is some challenging terrain in La Rosiere and there is some especially challenging off-piste if you know where to look.. Don't forget that the lift pass is for the entire domain so if you feel the need for a change then you've got La Thuile to explore, you could even learn to kite-ski or board up on the Col de Ste Bernard.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David@traxvax, I beg to differ as someone who was actually in La Plagne at Easter this year, compared to UK half term week Easter is quieter and certainly not as busy as the half term hols. The whole of Paradiski offers huge challenge and at the same time is able to cater for beginners and intermediates alike, perhaps that's why, as you say, it's one of the most popular resort's in France.
As for advanced skier's see the La Plagne off piste guide here

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 14-05-07 17:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rungsp, ....La Plagne .... Flat ..? Flat...? FLAT...?

..... there are three, 40+ degree couloirs, within 5 minutes of Plagne Centre

... ditto pistes .... Kamikaze, Hari-Kari, Mercedes...

...PLUS 19 other reds 7 blacks, not including the itinerary routes.

.... and thats only Plagne Centre ..... Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
...... sorry boredsurfin, ... the secret's out ...... Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BernardC, oh! bother I guess we both fell for it, I'll try to say no more wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
.... I'll try to say no more too ..... wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IANL100,
Ive skied in both though only actually stayed at La Plagne, stayed in La Thuile. I think you could have a pretty good holiday in either one. Though they both have advantages and disadvantages.

Personal opinion is that the main downside to La Plagne is that it is ugly as sin with little atmosphere , the area is a bit more sprawling and possibly not so family friendly. The upsides are that the ski area is in marked contrast to the resort it has both tree line and high altitude skiing with great views. A lot of the local pistes are north facing. I didn't think the pistes were that special for more advanced skiers but the off piste was excellent.

La Rosiere is a fair bit less sprawling, the main problem for an Easter trip is that the local pistes face south so get a lot of sun if there are beginners in your group who cannot get over to the north and east facing slopes in La Thuile. As in La Plagne for better skiers there is a lot more interest off than on piste.
snow conditions
T Bar et al

>>the local pistes face south so get a lot of sun if there are beginners in your group who cannot get over to the north and east facing slopes in La Thuile

We have two 7 year olds - they will be on their fourth week next year, so not beginners but I'm not sure they'd manage a long drag into La Thuile - if I'm right in thinking that's how you get there. Does the sun mean that typically there may be limited skiing available for them in La Ros? I note Inghams last week there is 29th March (though Crystal go later). Is that because of possilbe lack of snow I wonder?

Thanks
snow conditions
IANL100,
From memory the drags are not too bad. La Ros has a reputation for getting a lot osf snow so I would be suprised if there was not a lot still available its more the quality then the quantity. Having said that children seemed to be a lot less bothered by heavy snow and slush than adults at the same stage.
ski holidays
For those La Rosiere lover's there are several Restaurants and bars and the only night club in town for sale at the mo.....
details can be found here
latest report
boredsurfin, the bar is Le Pub its been available for a few years, its not the only late venue, some friends have just bought BarClays which also opens late amongst others. I'd suspect that the restaurant is Le Turia, which has a good reputation.IANL100, La Rosiere is always in the top 5 French resorts for snow-cover, this year, as with previous years, the resort didn't close until the 27th April, there was still plenty of snow, check out the quote from 'where to ski and board' on our website for an explanation as to why La Rosiere gets more snow than Val d'Isere. You'll find that all the independent operators in the village offer a longer season than the major TOs. As regards skiing to Italy, we've had guests who have only skied for a week go to Italy quite happily, the 2 drags Bellcote 1 & 2 are the only way to Italy but you don't have to take both, you can jump off after Bellecote 1 and ski down via the Col du Petite St Bernard, just about the only events that close the link are if there's too much wind or there's just been a significant snowfall.
snow conditions
IANL100

[We have two 7 year olds - they will be on their fourth week next year, so not beginners but I'm not sure they'd manage a long drag into La Thuile - if I'm right in thinking that's how you get there. Does the sun mean that typically there may be limited skiing available for them in La Ros?]

My 5 year old daughter (3 weeks of skiing) and her 6 year old mate could handle the drag without difficulty as although very very long it is fairly easy. Boredom is more of an issue. In bad weather though you would be thinking twice about it IMO. We were in La Thuile from 1 - 9 April this year and had no problems with the snow as far down as about 1800m when it became slushy (but still fun).
You only need the one drag out and it's all chairs on the way back.
snow conditions
>>My 5 year old daughter (3 weeks of skiing) and her 6 year old mate could handle the drag without difficulty as although very very long it is fairly easy. Boredom is more of an issue.

That's good to hear.

>>Boredom is more of an issue.
That made me laugh. It's true to say that a (or at least my) six year old's attention span isn't that long. The thought of them losing concentration through boredom half way up a drag and falling off is amusing. Though I imagine in reality If I was with them at the time I would be cursing...

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
latest report
IANL100 wrote:
The thought of them losing concentration through boredom half way up a drag and falling off is amusing. Though I imagine in reality If I was with them at the time I would be cursing...

If you and they are very lucky, you might get a ride back to the start on a skiddoo... it happened to one of our group this year!

The Bellecombe I is a double drag with a big lane down the middle. Like most, I dislike drag lifts, but on a clear day the view is quite simply awe-inspiring as you trundle along within what seems like touching distance of Mont Blanc...

And has already been noted, you don't need to do Bellecombe II - head left off the top of I instead.
latest report
I must admit riding up bellecombe I did get to wondering how you got back as a fairly inexperienced skier....the gap down the middle didn't look too wide to me. Go up the right hand side of the lift, it ran faster than the other every day I went on it.
snow conditions
Well guess where we have just booked for on 23rd March Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, back to Tignes?
ski holidays
rob@rar, Laughing No But I can see the Grande Motte from the chalet Balcony Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar, Laughing No But I can see the Grande Motte from the chalet Balcony Very Happy

You can also see the Grand Motte from Les Arcs.
ski holidays
I went to La Plagne over New Years. Stayed in La Belle Plagne with ski in ski out facilities. It was perfect for families. There were only two main bars, so it wasn't full of drunk workers. It maintains its French feel, rather than the mor epopular resorts, and there's loads of different things to do on or off the slope. I'd highly recommend it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went to La Plagne (Plagne Villages) twice with my son, when he was 4, then 5.

I'd agree that the terrain is mostly uninteresting for high intermediate skiers - lots of motorway pistes. If you're after offpiste, then it's a completely different game.

Here's at trip report I've put on TGR about the La Plagne trip.

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80789

The spread-out nature of La Plagne is annoying at times. But if the kids can ski blues and reds, they'll have A LOT to explore.

I haven't been to La Rosiere, so can't say anything about it.
snow report
Some nice photos there Cedric. However you clearly need to ski the North face of Bellcote sometime - for which you traverse to the left from the top of the lifts, keeping as high as you can, then climb up just a little and go over the edge (for which you need a guide - it is 45º). There are several variants of different difficulty (from steep to extreme).

It seems to me that Les Arcs has a greater range on piste (easy blues to steep blacks) than either.
latest report
snowball wrote:
It seems to me that Les Arcs has a greater range on piste (easy blues to steep blacks) than either.

I agree, plus a good range of off-piste opportunities, especially off the Grand Col and Aiguille Rouge.
latest report
I would agree that Les Arcs has a greater range on piste. (Less offpiste though, in my experience, although I skied there by myself so less inclined to seek out the BC stuff).

Snowball, fully agree with having to ski the north face of Bellecote - this just wasn't the trip for it, not enough time with my son there and also our third friend wouldn't have been up to it.

(thanks for the e-mail by the way, will answer soon!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy