Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste - do you use maps?

Poster: A snowHead
JT, andpam w, good answers, as a climber I think of going off piste as more like mountaineering than normal snowboarding, especially from a continious assesment of risk point of view. From this background I also find snowsports as a bit of a conundrum: on one hand very safety concious i.e. wearing helmets, using guides etc. OTOH coming from winter mountaineering I find the lack of knowledge on avalanches, the effect of terrain, the kit people take with them/wear and the recklessness of some towards other slope users extremely frightening.

wrt the original point atm I don't consider myself technically good enough nor experienced enough to take to the more adventrous off piste (not nessecerilary (sp?) technically hard but that which may take a walk to get to/from and has the possiblity of not seeing anyone else for quite some time) without a guide. I know that it's a continious learning process and one can never know everything but my point of view is that currently I need a guide to stay safe. However, as I progress there is no way I would drop into anything without at least a map and compass and the knowledge of how to use them in good and bad visability, it is possible to place yourself on a map in very poor visability using aspect of slope etc, however, it takes a lot of practise! Of course this is in addition to avvy kit, crevase rescue kit if going on a glacier, some rudimentay climbing stuff if moving over steep ground.

Just thinking about this reminds me of how much there is to know if you want to stay safe in the mountains, however, it's definately worth it Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swirly,
Quote:

Of course this is in addition to avvy kit, crevase rescue kit if going on a glacier, some rudimentay climbing stuff

....... plus some snowshoes .....?

..... but definitely NOT that well known & much loved brand ...... 'Effing Snow-Shoes' ..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BernardC, I'd prefer a helicopter, next time 'Effing heap o' shoite snow-shoes" (TM) might be replaced by an axe and some sort of extreme weight-loss program. Or at least extensively tested in the shop beforehand now I'm aware of the limitations.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
I was just thinking whilst out milking (no connection though). Lots of you ski off-piste. We have spoken about on-piste maps before, but do you have maps that cover off-piste areas too. I mean when you launch yourselves down a steep off piste slope how do you know that you're not heading towards towards an edge, a long drop off, or crevasse. I can't see that an equivalent to an O/S map would exactly serve when you have all the features covered with n metres of snow. Do you get off-piste maps or are there odd signs here and there for you? Also, how do you know that you're going to be able to get down again to an area that will take you home?

Megamum... depends where you are and what sort of off-piste you are talking about I guess...

In australia there is off-piste inside the resort ... which is patrolled and should be reasonably safe... also pretty hard to get lost.... resort map will be fine...

Then there is the front country off-piste skiing.... you might get by without taking the map but should have it with you and have looked at where you are going...

and then there is the back-country off-piste skiing..... go there without a decent topo map and a good idea what you are up to and you are likely to join those who have had their skulls found years later, or their bodies found in spring in their snow cave(where they likely suffocated), or those who died of hypothermia within a short distance of a safety hut.... or or or....

My brother spent a few years regularly setting up searches for those who thought they would "just pop up that mountain there" from a popular resort... a fair number ended up trapped in the same valley... which is a sort of trap...

and there is a great story here about experienced back country off-piste skiers who made some mistakes (ummm tent is a good idea) and came very close to paying the ultimate price except they also did some stuff right and some other brave souls set out into the mountains in a storm in the middle of the night to save their sorry butts!

http://forum.ski.com.au/scripts/ultimatebboard/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000042
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly, .... Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
little tiger,
Quote:

front country off-piste

You made that up! Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

No that is its name (although may be a nickname that someone made up originally)...

It describes areas that can be lift accessed or accessed easily from roads...

Eg at home I would ski back down to the road OUTSIDE the resort after having done a car shuffle with friends.
This is NOT backcountry... neither is it inbounds... I am using the resort lift to get most of my altitude little climbing needed...

Also the areas immediately behind the resort or from the road I would exit that ski onto where the climbs are close would be front country - no large amounts of gear etc required can eb easily day accessed...

The BACKCOUNTRY you may spend a day getting into the area you want to ski... and a day getting out... closest people are therefore many hours travel away... sprain an ankle or a knee here and you want good folks around to help... it is a LONG way to crawl home... hypothermia may mean death(and has) as there is no rapid access to any help... go with folks that know their stuff... read the story that comes out in the above link... and those guys were VERY experienced... just had heavy packs, got cocky, had no tents only bivvy bags, and one had been sick recently (hypothermia here we come?), also maybe dehydration played a part...

I have done some front country off piste on my tele skis with skins... I am still unsure about my ability to ski long distances with a fully loaded pack (tent,stove etc etc etc) so I have not yet done any back country.. although my friends at home say they will get me into it once I return...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To answer the question - yes if touring but generally no if skiing lift served off piste.

However this April in VDI a compass was useful to time the spring snow conditions and avoid aspects still likely to be frozen. It was also useful to avoid the slopes later in the day that were becoming dangerously saturated after many hours in the sun.

Having a proper map is nevertheless interesting to check out where you've been !

Its also useful to check heights, interesting details, names etc. Many of the french maps show the intinery routes and are worth having on piste because they accurately represent distance, relationship and pitch.

Even the maps in the pre 1996 Good Ski Guide are a much better representation than the diagrammtic piste maps given away free in resorts.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I belive the US term for "front country" is "sidecountry" i.e. out of ski area bounds but readily accessed or traversed to from lift served points at both top and bottom. A lot of what many European skiers understand by "off-piste" would meet this definition including noodling around outside marker poles. I have often heard the latter used analogously to "ungroomed" while of course it may encompass "multi day high alpine tour", such that as a catch all term it has very little meaning in capturing the varying degrees of equpiment, preparation and commitment required.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
little tiger,
Quote:

front country off-piste

When I first read it I wondered what swear word she'd written for the automatic censor to change it to that Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little tiger, Sidecountry shipmate. rolling eyes Frontcountry is the name given, by guys, to the part of the body you urinate from.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FenlandSkier wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
little tiger,
Quote:

front country off-piste

When I first read it I wondered what swear word she'd written for the automatic censor to change it to that Embarassed

No that is exactly what I wrote!!!!

Razz

Oh and re backcountry (what I think of as backcountry) the criteria I was given re navigation was that if you cannot walk a 5km circle in scrub, with gullies etc, with compass, in the dark and return to within 1 metre of where you started then you do not want to be there without at least 1 and preferable TWO people who can (and that is for bushwalking there... in winter make SURE you have TWO)...

getting LOST is BAD!!!!

getting hurt is not good as it can be hard to get a helicopter in - so even once someone has slogged out to a phone point and called for aid and you wait for the return you better have someone can make a makeshift sled out of stuff in the bush and drag you to the helicopter point!

REALLY bad is like my friend in Pakistan.. fell down crevasse hitting head ... nearest help 10 days hike away... lay in tent 10 days while her friend hiked for help... helicopter takes off WHEN YOU PAY... not before...(party of 2 is TOO SMALL in pakistan)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
little tiger, Sidecountry shipmate. rolling eyes Frontcountry is the name given, by guys, to the part of the body you urinate from.

Not in Australia ...which is of course where I was writing about as it is my homeland

http://forum.ski.com.au/scripts/ultimatebboard/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=003164#000000

http://forum.ski.com.au/scripts/ultimatebboard/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=003709#000000

http://forum.ski.com.au/ultimate/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=003926#000020 (reerence in here but phot missing for that one)

there are a heap of threads about it...

common term
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ah but then aussies don't mind actually calling things by their names... we don't need silly euphemisms for body parts, toilets etc
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
little tiger wrote:
.. we don't need silly euphemisms for....... toilets etc

Hmm.

Thunder, Flush and Thomas Crapper wrote:
Somehow the object and place in which people excrete has always been thought of as offensive, and we have no simple direct words for them. Both lavatory and toilet originally meant somewhere to wash; a water-closet is a cupboard or small room with a water supply.
Toofy Grin
latest report
That would be why we call it a LOO or CRAPPER ... Wink

In samoan it is a falelikiki... kiki being samoan for NO 2(does that pass the filter?) and fale - house
snow report
http://www.aussieslang.com/Search/qsearch.asp wrote:

# dunny
noun:- toilet or lavatory, originally an outside toilet or outhouse, now a generic term for the toilet regardless of location. Sometimes referred to as the Thunder Box! Different from the bathroom which really does contain a bath or shower for cleaning your personage.

# loo
noun:- toilet

# outhouse
noun:- toilet, dunny. Before modern sewage, the toilet was in it's own little "house" in the backyard. Hence out house.

# thunder box
noun:- dunny, toilet.

# toot
noun:- toilet
ski holidays
little tiger, a lot of Samoan rugby players are built like brick falelikikis. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Frontcountry just sounds SHITE and doesn't work on any level. Front of what? The industry seems to use Sidecountry as it describes Off Piste accessed at the SIDE of a lift system. Backcountry is a real term used for years to describes:

Distant wilderness invaded by those with a sense of adventure.

a remote, undeveloped area

One or more primitive or wilderness areas in a park reached primarily by hiking, boating, or horseback

The area of a national park or other park that is away from the roads and general tourist areas. The backcountry is wilderness and the animals encountered there are wild and should be treated as such. You are on your own in the backcountry and should take all precautions necessary for survival.

rolling eyes Cool
snow report
Fortunately there are not too many dangerous wild animals when ski-touring in Switzerland. France, OTOH, has wolves. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
laundryman wrote:
little tiger, a lot of Samoan rugby players are built like brick falelikikis. Toofy Grin

tell me about it... I am probably related to about half of them as everyone over there seems to be related!
snow report
achilles wrote:
Fortunately there are not too many dangerous wild animals when ski-touring in Switzerland. France, OTOH, has wolves. Madeye-Smiley

Do those wolves strictly observe national boundaries though?
I'd hate to bump into one in Switzerland near the French border and get into a debate with it by argueing that it must be lost and therefore shouldn't be chewing my leg if it turns out that actually they do go on tour every now and then.
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, I've heard the ones in the Portes du Soliel have France only lift passes.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Frontcountry just sounds SHITE and doesn't work on any level. Front of what?

Front of the backcountry...

as i described with areas that have road access... ie if you can drive close by it is front country... forget where the lifts are... so the very popular area up the road from my home resort where you will find a few cars every weekend is ALL front country... you can reach it readily in a few hours of hiking skiing... both sides of the valley... one side you MAY be able to access from the resort lift... the other you can't... but it is still front country...

backcountry you will access some of from these same access points.. just you are going to be hiking a LOT longer and need very different gear...
snow report
achilles, I have kissed a wolf Smile well actually he kissed me as his tongue went through the fence
snow report
little tiger, What happens when you're facing the Opposite direction after 5 days in the Backcountry having started in the Frontcountry, does the Frontcountry then become the Backcountry and the direction your facing become the Frontcountry even though you're in Backcountry heading to the Frontcountry that started off as the Backcountry? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

it is in FRONT of the road Neh Neh told you you need navigation skills to do it! Twisted Evil
snow report
little tiger, So all roads lead to the Frontcountry? Here in Cham' we have alot of Frontcountry, at the Side of the Road. So we start at the Sidecountry and then, if our navigation skills permit, head off to the Backcountry for a spot of Wolf Worrying. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier wrote:
achilles wrote:

Do those wolves strictly observe national boundaries though?
I'd hate to bump into one in Switzerland near the French border and get into a debate with it by argueing that it must be lost and therefore shouldn't be chewing my leg if it turns out that actually they do go on tour every now and then.

Don't be silly. Switzerland is outside the EU. NehNeh
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Maybe the frontcountry thing is based on the US thing of talking about "frontside" and "backside"* which seem to mean on and off piste in a skiing context as opposed to the 2 sides of a board in a park context.

* or the snowHead s thing of talking out of our backsides Laughing
ski holidays
Front, side, back......?? FFS...!!! I'll need a map to know where I am supposed to be..!!
ski holidays
slikedges, most people on big boats (i.e. not sailing dinghies) would have lifejackets in a locker somewhere, but put them on only when risk was perceived to be high - for example at night, or in fog. However, if you get dumped into a cold sea, miles from anywhere, it will just make it easier for any rescuers to find your corpse. If someone falls overboard in bad weather it takes a lot skill and some luck to get them back on board again; I can do it in an exercise, but I'm not sure I could do it for real. If a boat goes down in bad weather, the whole business of launching a life raft, and getting into the damn thing, and then cutting the umbilical cord before the boat sinks requires skill and strength. There are Sea Survival courses, but most recreational sailors don't do them. As for position indicating beacons, yes they've been around for ages. A well equipped boat will have one and you hope that, if you did have to launch a liferaft in a storm in the dark you'd remember to get it into the raft with you (the only ones I'm familiar with are not the sort of thing you could wear round your neck). A well organised boat has a grab bag to put in the raft. But it all depends on everyone knowing what to do, where things are, not panicking, etc etc. Easier said than done.
snow report
pam w,

get him to look at the stories of some of the yachts went down or got into trouble in that horrid sydney hobart year

I'm not sure about those guys we keep getting out of the southern ocean...

but i seem to recall at least 1 sydney hobart with unexpectedly bad conditions and boats unable to get back to eden so despite being close to land (ish) they were in deep doo doos
ski holidays
brian, It is exactly that. BC vs FS. Frontside is a phrase coined for the piste or park, an area prepared for skiing. Backcountry in this instance has been used to refer to an area not prepared for skiing. Hense for the last few years when buying skis, you have been asked to quote your percentage 'Front to Back' ie 50-50, meaning sking 50% Frontside and 50% Backcountry. The Sidecountry thing has been recently added by the real Backcountry skiers/Ski Industry whom belive that skiing off-piste near prepared slopes and calling it 'Backcountry', discredidts them/their product, and have coined the new 'Term', 'Sidecountry. To me it makes perfect sense, i have however never heard, before today, the term 'Frontcountry' and suspect our little tiger has made a 'Slip of the Finger'. Little Angel
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, check the links... and i only posted a couple... it has been used on that forum for years
latest report
brian wrote:
Maybe the frontcountry thing is based on the US thing of talking about "frontside" and "backside"* which seem to mean on and off piste in a skiing context as opposed to the 2 sides of a board in a park context.

* or the snowHead s thing of talking out of our backsides Laughing

brian, it's definitely not a US term - must be from down under.
snow conditions
pam w, When I went to sea on the Ministry research vessels we did the merchant navy sea survival course - it makes me feel much more confident if I'm on a ship with life rafts and survival gear. I've done all the liferaft, lifejacket, man overboard etc. survival training. Just for interest I've also done the OPITO helicopter, BA and smokey hole & firefighting training too. You know - the course where they dunk you upside down in the helicopter. Also did survival and liferaft training there too.

However, as you point out not everyone gets the chance to do the learning.

Still if anyones ever on the same sinking ship as me you could do worse than stick with me!!

They don't call me Megamum for nothing you know wink
snow report
Megamum wrote:
I've done all the liferaft, lifejacket, man overboard etc. survival training. Just for interest I've also done the OPITO helicopter, BA and smokey hole & firefighting training too. You know - the course where they dunk you upside down in the helicopter. Also did survival and liferaft training there too.

Blimey, the HSE requirements to work near water troughs are a bit strong aren't they? Shocked
latest report
I didn't see this thread when it came out because I was very busy at the time. But here is my penny-worth.

1:25,000 is the standard map for off-piste and is always available in the resort at bookshops and sometimes ski equipment shops. I have off-piste guide books for Monte Rosa (Zermatt,etc), Arlberg (St Anton etc), Trois Vallee (Val Thorens etc), Val d'Isere/Tignes and Chamonix. I expect there are others. However I only rarely do a route just from seeing it in the book and on the map.
Most often I will see something from a lift or on the mountain and look at the map to find out how to get to it or to make sure I can still find it when I get there. Usually I have already been in the area with a guide (especially if it is in another valley) or am using the map as a back-up going on a route I have been before with a guide or people who knew it. And of course you just don't ski off piste alone - that would be stupid.
But I would play very safe with anything steep or threatened by slopes above or on days with higher avalanche risk. And until you know much more about it don't ever just go off-piste assuming it is safe, even if there are lots of tracks (avalanche risk on a slope can change in half an hour).
I have been on courses about avalanche danger and skied mostly off-piste for many years, but I know that I don't know much compared to the guides (and I've been in an avalanche when skiing with a guide).
Itineraries are usually pistes which have been declassified to save the resort from litigation (they then don't have to be groomed though they are avalanche patrolled) Consequently they are much skied and not really quite proper off-piste.
Most European off-piste can be accessed direct from lifts or by a short climb with skis on your shoulders (perhaps 10 minutes, perhaps an hour) or climbing with skins under your skis. (If you find you actually enjoy the latter you will want to get into TOURING.)
There is no such thing as side country or back country or out-of bounds or in-bounds in Europe.
For most people (and for me) the best way to ski off-piste is with a guide - though, like ski school, it is expensive. Some ski schools do off-piste groups and some resorts (eg Val d'Isere) have independent guiding companies who will make up groups of similar standard (which is much cheaper than hiring your own guide unless you are a group of 5 or 6). Many also teach off-piste technique (though it isn't essentially different from on-piste techniqhe except in some difficult snow conditions which you shouldn't try at first anyway). The main thing to remember is to weight your skis evenly. And, except in very light powder on a firm base, you won't get away with bad technique in the way you often can on piste.
Guides will lend you an avalanche transciever.
If you decideyou like it and want to go further with off-piste then you should buy a back-pack with straps to attach skis + avalanche transciever, shovel and probe.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy