Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sierra Nevada

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just a tentative enquiry as I cant seem to find what im looking for, but im sure someone will know!

My dad, step mum and lil sister ahve all moved out to Spain permanently, and it has been mentionned that when I go over there for weekends and things we could go skiing.

Is the snow that reliable down there? or is it a bit like Scottish resorts?
and when would be the best time to go?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it might be more consistent than Scotland. The resorts are bigger and the snow lasts longer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
some comments about Sierra N:
Paul (The Netherlands, 3 July 2004): I lived in Granada from August 2001 to februari 2002 and went skiing the first weekend of december, the third and the first,second and third weekend of January. I have also been back for Christmas 2002 and Christmas 2003
I never had any problems with the traffic or the ques. It's not worse then any other skiing resort in the Alps.

If you can, you better avoid the weekends, although it's not that bad. You can better avoid the first weekend of December(5 to 7 december) Christmas time(roughly from 20 december to 6 januari) Carnaval(Normally somewhere in Februari) and Easter(In march-april). The other weekends are not that bad.

The hotels up the mountain in the resort are quite expensive and it might worthwhile to book a Hotel in Granada and go up and down the moutain by bus. The busses leave at 8 and 9 and return at 4 and 6.30. Prices are like 6 Euro's for a return ticket.

If you want to go in the weekends you have to make sure you go up before 9 o'clock because you won't have any problems then. If you want to go down the moutain you either leave before 4 or you take some beers or something to eat and go back at 6.30-7.30 because you won't be bothered with traffic.

The weather is nearly always sunny, I am sure SN has the most sun hours of any ski-resort of the world. I have been going for 3 years in a row now in December or January and the weather is nearly always pretty good. In contrast in can be pretty cold in de Alps during that time.

The reason it can be windy is that the Sierra Nevada is a lot higher then the surrounding mountains and it's close to the mediterean sea.

I have visited many cities in my life, but Granada is the most beautifull city I know. Because it has a very university there is always something to do and the Albyzin Quarter and Alhambra are world-famous and you really should visit them.

If you have any questions: granadaiscool@hotmail.com

Henrik (Spain, 18 Feb 2004): I'm reviewing a ski-resort - not my nice house on Costa del Sol. Went for a weekend skiing 13-15/02 2004. As I'm from northern Sweden (used to snow/skiing), but living in south Spain, I was greatly disappointed about th lack of snow. The altitude and snow machines saves it. My take is SN can't compete with anything seriouse, like Swizz, French, Austrian etc. For really good Spanish skiing go to the North and to Andorra. Granted not a good winer season this year 2004. Slopes are easy to moderate so good skiier won't find any challange here. But for what they have it's not bad. Very good for beginners and families. About queues - well this is a Med country and they don't know how to queue. Fact of life. Village Pradollano is artificial meaning it did not exist pre-ski. So only Hostels, Hotels and some houses. Nothing of Swiss or Italian 'cozyness' in the village. Lacks feeling totally if you look for ambient afterski. There are shops, bars and restaurants allright so one survives but as said..lack of feeling. Worth a weekend nothing longer unless you are beginner or there with children. Be prepared to bring your own snow.

Linda Haney (England, 4 Feb 2004): We took our two small children (9yrs/7yrs) onto the Sierra Slopes just for a day during a March holiday to Malaga. After a two hour drive, through the snow for the last few miles, we arrived about 5pm. Found the hotels quite expensive but found the whole place extremely friendly and the hotel room was large with a huge hot bathroom!!

The local shops helped with rental skies etc. and despite our lack of good Spanish we all managed to be "understood". The following morning (Thursday), well, the sun shone brilliantly. We booked the kids onto a private morning lesson, only 2nd time they had skied. We also had a lesson for a couple of hours. Excellent. The kids loved it. 2/3 minute queues at the lifts. Operators a bit laid back but heck it is Spain! The terrain is so expansive with lovely slopes to play on! Loads of snow and lifts and not very crowded. We skied all day from 9am. The kids followed us down the Rio back to the resort without any problems. We were very proud of them.

At 6pm we climbed into the car for the ride back to Malaga and the exhausted kids were asleep in the back seat at 6.05pm. Brilliant day. Very Spanish resort, which is great, especially if you're trying to learn the lingo. Sick of brits taking over everywhere! Not a pie and chips in sight, thank god. Thinking of moving to Spain, so we will make sure its not too far to travel to the Nevada for the odd ski day or week. Weekends look a nightmare though, so will avoid them.

Steve barker (Bath UK, 5 Jan 2004): HI.. Just got back from christmas in Granada. In general very impressed! We didn't go exclusively to ski, but had booked a weeks mountain bike holiday on the South side of the mountains, where the weather is great for biking. After our weeks biking we headed for the ski resort for a few days snowboard action.

The resort is fairly impressive, and we were lucky as we had good snowfall. Low clouds in the morning can give the impression that the day is going to be a complete write off due to poor visability, but we found this would clear in the afternoon in general, leaving sunny, clear skies. The only question is.. if the weather is looking dodgy do you risk buying a ticket whilst the lifts are closed, in hope they will open later on and everything clear up.. or leave it till the afternoon and face the massive 1/2 day pass queue around 1pm.

My only real complaint is regarding the lift queues. Its a real mad scramble.. and annoying when you see that the lift opperators dont insist on filling the chairs up. Massive queues and 1 or 2 people per 6 person chair! I don't mind sitting next to a few strangers... especially the local ladies... so sort it out and fill those lifts! Otherwise recommended.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Above comments were from Goski.com, by the way
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you! NehNeh
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee, went with some friends last March. One of the main problems they have there is with the wind. If it gets up, it can mean the closure of the lifts. Normally only at the very top, but we did lose a full day because of it. It did snow a huge amount in that time though, so wasn't all bad.

It's very high up, so there's no real problem with snow coverage. Sunblock is a must. Quite a small town really with a few good bars and a few clubs. Nothing special, but very friendly etc. Highly recommend the Hotel Ziryab, excellent food and location.

There is a link to their website in the Snowbase, which will give you all the info you need. I'd advise speaking to the hotels etc direct, as the tourist board are only allocated a certain number of room in each of the hotels.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nadenoodle, I went there last year for a few days. We stayed at the Melia Sol y nieve which was a very nice four star but they charge extra for everthing, e.g Jacuzzi etc, so factor that into the room price. Alternatively, Granada is a really good city and would make a great base as its only about 35 mins drive each day up to the resort. With your preference for nightlife then this is probably better for you! The disadvantage of staying in Granada is if you suffer from the altitude as SN is quite high 2,200 - 3,300m and you may need a day to adjust.

We visited at the end of the season which meant it was much quieter and there were no problems with queues at all, although we went during the week. Snow was typical spring conditions but we skiied all day and all but a few of the runs were open, we just had to stay a bit higher in the afternoon. Lift passes are reasonable as is ski hire compared to the Alps. The level of skiing is ideal for early intermediates as most of the runs, although classed as red would probably be slightly harder blues in the alps. Same for the blacks which were more like steeper reds but still very wide. Overall, its definitely worth going and we had a great time bombing around for a couple of days on quiet pistes. Most of the skiiers there are either novices or beginners so you'll find the reds and blacks fairly empty if you pick the right time of year.[/b]
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone, my dad live south of Murcia, so its about a 4hr drive, but he said that he's more than happy to take us up there for the weekend as long as I take my sister! ( aged 7) - so nightlife wont really come into it Sad

So is late january going to be ok would you say?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never been so I am obviously not an expert but I remember a few years back when it held the world championships in I think late Jan/Early Feb they were cancelled due to lack of snow. BUT I also seem to remember this was said to have been v unusual and it is generally reliable if occasionally a bit windy early season.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy