Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feedback Please

Poster: A snowHead
sorry man, I just felt a bit outnumbered with all those skiing types, and there was no room to move what with all those poles on the floor.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You guys all seem to be so knowledgeable ! Wouldnt dare post a vid of me for 'advice'
I just strap on and get going, each time I go I work on something until it clicks. Last time it was jumps, next time hopefully switch & 180s - maybe then i might post something for comments Razz

stab, good to see you out of the jungfrau thread, enjoyed your posts there. Shame you stropped out of that Apres(i think) thread, there was some excellent funny banter winding up the 'straights'
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
debbi, yeah I lost it in that thread. I shoudn't come here when it's high season, all those apres lot just suddenly became the very people I was getting angry with in real life. I'm ok now of course Smile and it soon passed.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
david@mediacopy, looks good to me mate. Your turns look sweet and you've got some serious pace on that second vid.

If you've only just started then you should be proud...

... and if you're experienced you should still be proud!! Very Happy

This how NOT to do it...

http://youtube.com/v/gzBqus4SpT4

... had no feeling in my toes for three weeks after this - the only day I didn't wear my spine protector! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Specialman, Cheers mate.

Tell you what that's got to hurt in your vid. . . Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just a bit – I was walking round like I'd poohed myself for a week!! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
david@mediacopy, you look fairly competent, although it would be interesting to see you carving something a bit steeper as you sometimes seem to be forcing the board round a bit. Some people on here have already given some good technical advice.

On a more general level I would say that you are capable so you should relax more into your stances as you look a little rigid at times, possibly to do with concentrating too much or being a little nervous. Try larger turns where you pick up more speed and be slightly looser in the shoulders and knees. Some people say lean this way or that way, my general attitude to good technique is to stay low and centred on the board this way you maintain maximum control and any roughness in the snows surface is dealt with by your knees acting as shock absorbers. You look unlikely to fall and just need a bit of a kick up the back bottom to push yourself a bit more, you have good basic technique and will respond well to being pushed which will in turn boost your confidence and as a result make you a smoother rider all round. Most important thing though is to enjoy it. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mista, Cheers fro the feedback !

I'd like to think I've moved on a bit since that video but it was the only boarding clip that I managed to sort during the season. You were right to ID being a little nervous - it was the 1st session after bad stack on a hard piste (boy did it hurt) so I remember being glad to complete each run upright.

Towards the end of the season I managed to get on some steeper off piste (Spring conditions) and it went really well, no falls and nice and smooth.

I've also had the tape measure out on the binding set up and followed Masques advice on board set up here in the forum. I found that I had an over wide stance which was exaggerating the already rearward bias on my board (my excuse for the back foot washing out!). Masques stance guide seemed to point to a duck stance may suit me better, so it's off to Tamworth soon to have a play.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spring off-piste is gorgeous, I'm very jealous, I got no snow at all this year Crying or Very sad

Obviously technique and stance are both slightly different for off piste. Highly recommend you listen to Masque and go for a duck stance.

Rearward bias wont make the back foot wash out though... wink Thats more to do with confidence and staying relaxed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
>>Highly recommend you listen to Masque and go for a duck stance.

What would you say there are specific benefits for 'Duck' then ? I'm thinking it may eliminate any un-necessary upper-body twisting ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Highly recommend you listen to Masque

Shocked Unusual sequence of words wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well I dont like to think of snowboarding as a 1 directional thing really, I enjoy riding switch some tricks I am actually better at switch, there are also some very funky ways to change between switch/rnatural. People with a directional stance obviously have big problems learning switch. If you get used to duck when you are learning then you dont automatically limit your ability to learn switch once you get to that level. Also the postural muscles and tendons etc.. that you use when snowboarding develop with time and you get used to riding in a certain stance. Better develop the right muscles from an early stage...

Stylistically when I watched your videos I saw that your body was more opened up to the slope than ideal. I realised this was probably a direct reult of your stance, it gets tricky to describe but if you see instructors with learners they do this thing where they get the learner to imagine they are holding a very big ball infront of them. This is to help them internalise the idea they should be centred over the board as this maintains the most control. If you open up your front shoulder you compromise your most powerful comfortable position and as a result are less in control and slightly more likely to fall and if you do fall you are slightly more likely to hurt yourself by twisting unnaturally.

In the long run if you want to carry on advancing changing to a duck stance will allow you to learn switch riding. Furthermore, I reckon it is safer and makes any riding you do look more balanced in control and stylistic.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I put my broken knee down to be being so ducked out but hey ho, that's the price you pay I guess, unless you want to wear leather and ride a race board.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well I dont think you should be so ducked, that is something that people should be aware of, for example some peopl will ride like +21 -15 or something. Personally I never like to have too much of a negative angle so I ride. +12 -12 either way my back leg is never more than 12 off if you see what I mean. I got advice from somebody early on about having frineds who experienced the problem you had. I've snapped 2 boards, given myself a hernia, broken a couple of ribs done my wrist in and hurt my knee bad a couple of times but haven't yet broken my knee properly...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I ride duck but +16 on my front foot and - 11 on my rear foot. allows me to ride switch but promote me to really put some weight on the front foot that's really helped my turns. Riding with both feet pointing forward just doesn't feel right for me.

Still trying to work out the distance between bindings though to be truly comfortable.
ski holidays
mista wrote:
well I dont think you should be so ducked, that is something that people should be aware of, for example some peopl will ride like +21 -15 or something. Personally I never like to have too much of a negative angle so I ride. +12 -12 either way my back leg is never more than 12 off if you see what I mean. I got advice from somebody early on about having frineds who experienced the problem you had. I've snapped 2 boards, given myself a hernia, broken a couple of ribs done my wrist in and hurt my knee bad a couple of times but haven't yet broken my knee properly...

I was at +24 -18 when it happened, I like to ride like that but I see now how bad it is when you fall just at the wrong angle, popped my knee so easily. I relaxed it last winter to +15 -15 which slowly nudged up to +18 - 15 by the end, plus now if I feel like I'm about to recreate the knee breaking scenario I throw myself to the ground and let the back protector save me, no point trying to save a landing when I'm still not that confident of not busting my knee again.

Strangely though for all the air time and dumb ass things I've done every injury/breakage has been a complete freak accident.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy