Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feedback Please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi every one. I'm trying to brush up my boarding and could do with a bit of feedback on some video I shot mid season.

http://youtube.com/v/aUZAuqoEsfs

http://youtube.com/v/Ub7M9trwu2o

Helpful hints & tips welcome !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like me! Scraping the heel turn a bit - I do this and am told that I need to bend my knees more and keep my back straighter. I was just about getting it on the very last day of the season.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard wrote:
Looks like me! Scraping the heel turn a bit - I do this and am told that I need to bend my knees more and keep my back straighter. I was just about getting it on the very last day of the season.

Cheers. I'm finding I have to focus on getting smooth pressue at the start of each turn. The board I've been riding this year (Santa Cruz GLX gold) seems much more sensitive than the stuff I've been used to.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
More weight on the front foot while doing the heel turn should help as well - will stop you shoving the back foot forward down the hill and scraping the turn.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard wrote:
More weight on the front foot while doing the heel turn should help as well - will stop you shoving the back foot forward down the hill and scraping the turn.

I must admit that I've found it really hard to feel 'centred' on this new baord, and feel as if I have to ride with a lot of forward bias, especially when carving - I can feel the tail washing out. I've set it up with a wider stance to try and help this but I'm not sure it has.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
david@mediacopy, is the new board stiffer (especially regarding torsional flex) than your old board?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swirly wrote:
david@mediacopy, is the new board stiffer (especially regarding torsional flex) than your old board?

It's my first new board. The other's I've ridden have been rental boards and the odd one I've been loaned. I would imagine it is quite stiff and the side cut seems aggressive. I keep meaning to check the official figures. In terms of longitudinal flex I can't flex the board up from the tip very much while strapped in.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
david@mediacopy, try strapping in and have your back foot on the toe edge and your front foot on the heel edge and get a feel for the amount of power it takes to get it in this posistion. That's what you need to put into the board to carve it and the turn should be through this point by the time you reach the fall line.

That said I'm quite often very sloppy in heel side turns especially on steper ground.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
david@mediacopy, that sounds very like my first few days on new board and bindings - I think it's just a question of getting used to something a bit stiffer and better than the beginner boards which the shops hire out. I stuck to my usual stance and found that I was getting it after a few days practice.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swirly, ah, foot steering - twisting the board. No problem with that though I'm probably a bit lazy with my back foot, and tend to lead with the front. The board I'm using is:

http://www.scskate.com/snow/06_07/board_detail_1_04_05.php?sku=6616524
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That gets reviewed as a freeride board for experts - bit of a jump up from rental kit, so not surprising you're finding it hard work!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:
That gets reviewed as a freeride board for experts - bit of a jump up from rental kit, so not surprising you're finding it hard work!

I ski to a high standard (ignore the iffy 180's on youtube) so am a bit self critical when it comes to my boarding. I know what I think it should feel like from my skiing, but don't feel it to the same degree on the board. The main trouble is when carving I don't feel as 'planted' as I do on ski's at speed. The board is OK, I expect I lack the sensitivity at the moment to get the best from it and doubt that I've got it set up right.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Doesn't this board have a Bi-O-Metric Sidecut? My old Santa Cruz TT revolver had one, it's basically a different side radius for each edge, it makes it easier to turn on your heel side but takes getting used to, maybe I'm wrong though on your board having one. Also that Struct-turn base feels different to normal bases, way more slippery.

I can't view youtube for some reason, will try later.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, is that McNab technique?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

a different side radius for each edge, it makes it easier to turn on your heel side

Wouldn't that depend on whether you were riding regular or goofy?
ski holidays
rayscoops, No idea, from what others have said I think it's similar if not the same it's just the way I was taught to think about turning keeping the board on an edge; the quicker you go the more on edge the board gets so you get lower (flatter body) in the turn. My instructor said it was the only way to truely carve a board as it was always on edge and never on the base: the track should be a thin narrow line the whole way rather than a line that gets wider as the board points down the hill then narrows as it gets back on edge.

That said I'm lazy quite often and if tired I throw the back round, I also do it to scrub off speed when it gets narrow or busy.

david@mediacopy, the front foot should always lead and then the back foot follow the same movement slightly later.
snow report
got youtube to work. Looks alright, better than most of the "snowboarders" I see around. My only criticism is bending the knees more, especially on the toe turns, but then I snowboard like a stoned monkey with maximum stance width and 18 -15 so don't listen to me.
snow conditions
stab wrote:
got youtube to work. Looks alright, better than most of the "snowboarders" I see around. My only criticism is bending the knees more, especially on the toe turns, but then I snowboard like a stoned monkey with maximum stance width and 18 -15 so don't listen to me.

Cheers. Fair comment about flexing more on the toe edge, could do with exagerating it a bit more.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

a different side radius for each edge, it makes it easier to turn on your heel side

Wouldn't that depend on whether you were riding regular or goofy?

No, the board has one backside edge, if you ride goofy your back edge is the same as your back edge for regular. It's a full on park twin tip board. I spend probably equal time riding switch and normal so for me it's important to have a board like that, well until I broke it Sad
snow report
Just had a gander at your vids. Your turns are nice and smooth and you aren't suffering from the illusion that a straight line down the the piste is the cleverest thing to do. That said, I agree with the Missus' comments, and would add a couple of tips of my own.

Try pushing your hips forwards on your toe edge turn. (It's easier to do on the toe edge and you will feel the difference straightaway as your edge sticks into the mountain.)
On your heel edge turns, try leaning your upper body further back. (This is essentially the same advice as above, but to me it doesn't feel like I'm pushing my hips forward even though this is the net effect.)
You should be bending your knees into the turns, so at the centre of the curve you are at your lowest and at the point where you switch edges you are standing straight.

Once you have an edge in, you will find that you accelerate immediately along your direction of travel and you will probably fall straight out of it - it happened to me a fair bit until I got the hang of keeping my weight forward.

Final tip, one you probably already do: Watch other boarders - from the chairlifts, when you stop for lunch, when you pause to chat with your mates. You'll see people making the same mistakes as you, some people a little better, and the odd bonus snowboard instructor.

It's easiest to spot the really good boarders in the final week of the season. The off piste is rubbish and the pistes are practically empty. The general standard of skiing and boarding goes right up and you'll see many things worth copying.
snow report
david@mediacopy,

Turn transition is is ok but . . .

Heelside, you're dropping nice and low but keeping you weight going into your back foot and pushing the turn around, you're also twisting (not always) your shoulders toward the turn direction. Bring your mass further over your lead leg and lift the toes on your rear foot to twist the board.

Toeside. You're an idle booger just standing there nicely balanced and letting the board do all the work. Your toeside carve is just an overbalanced traverse. Put some effort in to getting lower and further forward and DRIVE that board instead of being a disinterested passenger Confused

At the moment you're just following the hill contours and letting the board follow as natural a turn cadence and carve radius with little obvious input from you.. . . easy riding!

Exaggerate the movement till you feel the board 'bite' into the slope and then back off for fine control. Also, shorten, tighten, drop and properly edge those turns till you feel you are at least trying to overdrive the board rather than just standing on top of it.

Harsh booger ain't I . . . you just need to put more effort into it wink

edit: turn radius for the board (most of them) is the same on both toe and heel side. It's where you, the rider puts your mass that determines the effective edge contact points and that will change the perceived turn radius. Heelside turns require more body/mass movement than toeside.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 3-05-07 19:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
david@mediacopy,

Turn transition is is ok but . . .

Heelside, you're dropping nice and low but keeping you weight going into your back foot and pushing the turn around, you're also twisting (not always) your shoulders toward the turn direction. Bring your mass further over your lead leg and lift the toes on your rear foot to twist the board.

Toeside. You're an idle booger just standing there nicely balanced and letting the board do all the work. Your toeside carve is just an overbalanced traverse. Put some effort in to getting lower and further forward and DRIVE that board instead of being a disinterested passenger Confused

At the moment you're just following the hill contours and letting the board follow as natural a turn cadence and carve radius with little obvious input from you.. . . easy riding!

Exaggerate the movement till you feel the board 'bite' into the slope and then back off for fine control. Also, shorten, tighten, drop and properly edge those turns till you feel you are at least trying to overdrive the board rather than just standing on top of it.

and then learn it all switch.
latest report
stab, never a truer word said Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Good grief, you two, can we do one thing at a time please? Laughing Laughing
latest report
I was just going to start on 1080 nose presses Laughing
snow conditions
stab, You can take the pish but I know one industry employee who hates turning to heelside so much that he 'nose butters' every traverse so that every turn is a toe-side carve . . . it;s extraordinary to watch and ever harder to follow as he's got it down to a very elegant and fine art to the point where each turn finish is nollie 180 . . . Confused Quick booger though as he'll straight line everything else Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Mr Lizzard wrote:

Final tip, one you probably already do: Watch other boarders - from the chairlifts, when you stop for lunch, when you pause to chat with your mates. You'll see people making the same mistakes as you, some people a little better, and the odd bonus snowboard instructor.

Not often I spot many worth watching, but a good one is well cool. . . . . I was inspired in my early ski days when on the first run of the morning we found the track left by a boarder. A perfect carve. We stopped and found the edge change, a mark maybe the size of my hand before anouther crisp line in the snow. Perfect snowHead

Cheers for the feedback. I'm conciouse of always trying to max the tilt of the board using plenty of knee / ankle / toe movement, but never thought much about hips. Makes sense so I'll add it to my list of things to think about next time I'm on snow - back in the UK now.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
david@mediacopy,Heelside, you're dropping nice and low but keeping you weight going into your back foot and pushing the turn around, you're also twisting (not always) your shoulders toward the turn direction. Bring your mass further over your lead leg and lift the toes on your rear foot to twist the board.

It's not deliberate and has been really annoying me cause I can feel the board coming around. Sad

When you say lift your toes on the rear foot to twist the board, isn't that going to twist it the wrong way on a heal edge turn ? Better to lift the toes on the front foot and/or drop the toes on the rear foot ?

Masque wrote:

Park and Ride! booger, I was trying to avoid that Embarassed I think not so much disinterested as scared stupid - the thing had bit me hard the last time out . . . . . confidence is a fragile thing

Masque wrote:

Not at all. I watch it my self and thing there should be more 'phizzzz' going on - it all looks a bit steady.

Cheers snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blimey, I thought I was a rasonable snowboarder, now I'm starting to wonder....
This is all great advice....where to start?
latest report
Richie wrote:
Blimey, I thought I was a rasonable snowboarder, now I'm starting to wonder....
This is all great advice....where to start?

A youtube post ? Shocked

but getting good posture nailed is always a good start.
ski holidays
david@mediacopy wrote:

but getting good posture nailed is always a good start.

I dunno, I'm sure I look like a mong on video but piste/carving holds no interest for me at all. I learnt enough to ride and be able to do the tricks/jumps I want and now I'm happy.
Strange thing is I tried carving solid lines on the days I was bored, riding normal I get the back end scraping away a tiny bit and my track isn't one thin line, going switch it's held in the piste and I have no problem. I suspect this is my shoulders twisting when I ride normal. Ah well, like i said, carving has no interest for me. Laughing
snow report
stab, how come they let you out of the Jungfrau thread? Confused Toofy Grin
latest report
stab wrote:
I learnt enough to ride and be able to do the tricks/jumps I want and now I'm happy.

snowHead Very Happy
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
stab, how come they let you out of the Jungfrau thread? Confused Toofy Grin

Laughing I defected to the snowboarding section. Figured I'm safe here, you won't find me in the apres section though. Neutral
snow report
stab, Laughing Laughing ooh yes - you need to be careful venturing into there wink Don't even think about the Bend Ze Knees section! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Fewer obsessive old gits in the boarding section! Entirely free of that bizarre Goldsmith bloke as well.
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
stab, Don't even think about the Bend Ze Knees section! Toofy Grin

dear me, I just popped in there Eh oh! How do I use a T bar, a thread about using a ski board properly (best way to use one of those is making a fire) and a flat footed knock kneed donkey Puzzled

Quote:
Entirely free of that bizarre Goldsmith bloke as well.

I heard a rumor at the MSB that I was this Goldfish fellow Puzzled
ski holidays
stab, it is worth popping in, ask a silly question, then run for cover Very Happy
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
stab, it is worth popping in, ask a silly question, then run for cover Very Happy

Sounds like a plan for a board raid Very Happy
latest report
stab, who said you could leave the Jungfrau thread....who's permission Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy