Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bargain Giro Helmets

brian
brian
Ordered a G10 10 days ago, delivered this morning for $110 (£55) inc. delivery.

http://xsportsprotective.com/snowboard-helmets.html

There was no duty to pay, I think "safety helmets" are zero rated wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian, G10 now $125, how much was the postage ?

Tried one on in S&R today, fitted really well. Are you sure there's no duty to pay or did you just get lucky ?

ta.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I've received things from the states previously the duty bill comes a few days later. Hope you are right though, it's a good deal.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sure about the zero rated...

Pedal cycle and motorcycle helmets are (if they meet some Eu safety requirement) but specifically and safety helmets are if they are for industrial use only...

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000107&propertyType=document#P41_2629

Not sure about ski helmets..I suppose if they can be used on an a bike as well you are correct and that's the argument I would use..good luck
ski holidays
 brian
brian
masmith, I may have just been lucky, I'm not sure. I got them to mark the box, "safety helmet". It may also be significant that it came USPS rather than UPS or Fedex (both of whom will rip you off with handling fees on top of duty if there is any to pay).

It was $85 plus $25 postage, that price is still available on 2007 stock,

http://xsportsprotective.com/giro-g10.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I paid duty on a Giro10 helmet I got off ebay from Utah last year.

I had to go to the local Post Office to collect it and pay the charges.

There was a number to query the costs but, as the helmet was about £42 all told, I did not bother. I was more concerned that the hemet was a big enough size (XXL) to fit my head. Snow & Rock did not go that big.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian, Latchigo et al, thanks.

Difference between 2007 and 2008 models, anybody know ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
masmith, I did the same thing: fitted an 2008 model in Ellis-Brigham and found it comfy and good fit. Then I ordered a 2007 version online recently, but ended up returning it and getting a 2008 model, at a higher price. It seems the 2007 lacks an adjustment dial feature which does appear in my 2008 model. In my experience, for my head, there was quite a difference in comfort when wearing the new 2008 model adjusted to my head compared to the 2007 model due to the way it allows you to fine tune the fit... In other words, I ended upo spending £30 more, but for a better and more comfortable fit of the same Large size G10.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, I hate to bust your bubble, But I picked up a Giro 10 with tune ups on SAC for 56.97 USD.
I'm guessing shipping wouldn't have been all too terrible but I'm not sure.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
SnowHot, bust away ! This is not a "how great am I ? check out my awesome phatness" thing ... these helmets go for £100 ($200) in the UK, so when I get one for almost half that I pass on the info in case any other snowHead s need one.

You might consider doing the same next time SAC comes up with a deal that good.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian, I did that last year a few times but was told that SAC www.steepandcheap.com has issues with shipping over there. I could be wrong, I think WTFH knows if they do.

Have you ever looked at SAC?
Its a hoot, and I'm addicted to checking it out regularly.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnowHot, A problem with a lot of US sites (including some recommended on Epicski) is that they do not ship goods outside of the US.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
SnowHot, I do check it from time to time but not regularly enough I guess.

Anyway, to answer your q, they are part of backcountry.com, who do ship to the UK, but not all their brands, explained here:

http://www.backcountry.com/store/help/210/Brands-We-Cannot-Ship-Outside-the-US.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, Could you confirm if your 2007 G10 has the wee adjustment dial in the liner itself, just to set my mind at ease? Thx
snow report
 brian
brian
skibomb, no it doesn't.
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a '07 (as opposed to 0Cool G10 for sale at discount - in the box, not used since new, in case anyone interested. Check the Buy/Sell section.
latest report
err... that should have been "as opposed to 08" - don't know what happened there...
snow report
brian, Thanks for the info! I guess I never paid attention because I'm on this side of the pond Wink
I'll make sure to alert of SAC deals when I get a chance.

BTW, did you know you can download an alert system that works with mozilla firefox?
It will show you what is up on sac on the bottom bar of your browser. If you click on it, it will open an SAC Tab.
http://www.steepandcheap.com/steepcheap/fuel_your_addiction.html
snow conditions
brian, Thx
latest report
 brian
brian
SnowHot, no I hadn't seen that, thanks. Neat (as I believe you transatlantic types say wink ).
snow report
bummer, I thought the 2007 model did have the wheel adjustment, I thought this was what Giro called their "Giro SuperFit™ technology" and that is evident on the description for both 2007 and 2008 models. So that must mean something else then ...

Anyway I preferred the look of the Giro Fuse so ordered one of the 2007 models, I suppose that also won't have the dial function, can anyone confirm ?
ski holidays
masmith, I have the G10 and its box in front of me. The G10 owner's manual describes the dial as a gear which is part of the 'In form fit system' that can loosen or tighten the fit.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
masmith, SuperFit, just seems to mean their mould.

"is based on Giro's proprietary Super Fit sizing system, which was developed from a large database of "human scale factors" (Giro's fancy term for anatomical measurements and studies)"
ski holidays
brian, One more cool SAC thing

www.sacattack.com

This site will show you the quantity that is available and what you have missed.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
SnowHot, cool. I may never get any work done ever again wink
ski holidays
brian, Just doing my part to help the economy Smile
snow conditions
Just a note but you will definately have to pay Customs with anything bought from SAC and the postal charges are quite cheap but you can still get a few bargains.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does anyone know how long postage takes for xsportsprotective and what sort of price the duty would be. Also is their any major difference between the 2007 and 2008 models?

Thanks
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Delivery was pretty good from xsportsprotective, about 5 days. You can track the parcel online really well.

I did get stung for duty on my helmet £23 on delivery, that is for a helmet which retailed at about $115. Postage was about $25. All in, with duty, a touch under £93 for a Giro Fuse which fits like a glove. Not quite the bargain I had hoped for but I'm very pleased with it none the less.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy