Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Trips - What you planning?

Poster: A snowHead
cathy, Thanks! I wouldn't have thought of the orange squash.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle, I'm sure your TO won't make you drink water with iodine in like we did. They'll carry proper bottled water for you. Or it'll be boiled for tea.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy, Good. Unless the tea is served, as I understand is customary in Tibet, with rancid butter in it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Climbing Mont Blanc and Gran Paradiso at the end of July then doing French Via Verratas in September,provided I survive Mont Blanc that is. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, shouldn't be - never had that in Nepal! Though yaks cheese is rather yummy Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Montalbert for 2 weeks in summer - hiking, chilling and taking mouth junior for his first gondola ride up to Grand Rochette (8 months old by then). Hopefully sharing a chilled beer with Boredsurfin as well Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Mouth, go on, knock yourselves out, have one each wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian, oh yes good point. Boredsurfin won't like me sharing his - perhaps he will buy me one even! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, Thanks I'm looking for flights as we speak!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mrs johnboy, Little tiger has soemtimes flown to London and changed (from dublin of course). I think you hd a change for the PSB didn't you? TGV from Paris is still a possibility, and if you're renting a car Geneva is possible (nice drive but further).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les Deux Alpes for la Marmotte on 8 July, followed by a week in La Clusaz to recover, although there are some steep climbs to cycle around there as well. Some training between now and then in Scotland and Ireland.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hilary t, you're one of those nutters on bikes which infest the place every summer aren't you? You must be MENTAL!! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Really want to have a go at parapente but we'll see.

MrDan, you should definitely have a go. I did a "tandem" flight with an instructor just before we left Les Saisies at the end of the season. It was a great experience, and not at all scary (though that was no doubt because the instructor was so good). I think the cost of learning in the Alps is a bit less than it is in England, and the weather conditions probably better too. I would like to do a course but I could not think of affording a wing of my own, and I have enough expensive hobbies already.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, we have a friend who does this - she did her training in France because it was cheaper than the UK, and she told us that it was easy to buy cheap (or at least cheaper) second-hand wings, especially for women. Apparently women get into it in order to please boyfriends, and then get out again post-boyfriend. Laughing

What do you have planned next for your retirement? Fire-eating? A little light tightrope-walking? Or possibly just a spot of base-jumping followed by the first toboggan descent of Everest. Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, I have just signed up for a climbing course at our local climbing wall, but not sure I'd fancy parapenting Very Happy
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, I seriously fancy trying the via ferrata. Have you done any of it?
ski holidays
Lizzard, no, but I would like to try it out this summer, hence doing the climbing course first. Something to do with spending two weeks with three blokes I think. Anything to stop me having to hurl myself dowm a mountain track on two wheels.
Very Happy
latest report
Lizzard, Guess I'll not be bringing my mountain bike to LDA then wink Laughing Laughing Although I could be classed as a bit MENTAL Laughing Laughing Big 40 next year......any suggestions?!!
latest report
R32, I've already passed the big one, so has hubby, but he is a bit mental too, there are some hairy looking tracks down that mountain in LDA.
ski holidays
Lizzard, Helen Beaumont, I couldn't climb these days, because I have quite bad arthritis in my thumbs and strong hands are essential for climbing. Holding poles gets tiring, when skiing - so snowboarding is less strain on my hands, though a bit more strenuous than skiing overall. I am definitely not mountain biking, I'm not great on a bike having not had one as a child. I can cycle to the library in Havant but that's about it. We tried mountain biking round one of the coastal paths round Chichester Harbour and I came off the bike on a tricky bit of path (actually I threw myself off it in preference to dropping about 12 foot onto the beach which seemed imminent otherwise!). I grazed my arms quite badly and felt a right idiot at a family wedding a few days later, in my fancy frock with grazed arms, having to confess that I'd fallen off my bike, like a 9 year old. The thought of hurtling down a mountain on a bike terrifies me, though falling on the snow is just not a problem. The parapente people jump off the mountain just behind our apartment, it's a great place for the sport, maybe I'll give it a whirl! One of my favourite summer activities is sailing, that's why we live on Chichester Harbour!
ski holidays
I hope to have a busy summer--selling a beach apartment we have had for 30 years on a small Spanish island--and putting the proceeds towards buying a flat in a ski village in France---wish me luck SH's ! Shocked Very Happy Anyone interested in my project pm me!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 5-05-07 14:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Julieanne, have you seen the thread about the apartment for sale in LDA - 80,000 euros (or less for quick sale). It's in a great location, easy walk to lifts. We stayed in another apartment in the same block a couple of weeks ago. If we didn't already have a ski apartment we'd be seriously thinking about it!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25788&start=200
ski holidays
pam w, Thanks, sounds very nice--but I have already made an offer on a flat in the Haute Savoie--where I have been going for many years and know it well. I actually plan to live there most of the year--not just in the ski season. This has been my dream since I was a child-- to live in the mountains-- so it's now or never!
It's now my main focus to sell the Spanish flat--if you know of anyone interested they could pm me for details? Little Angel
snow report
Helen Beaumont, It's not the tracks that look hairy in LDA, it's the drop offs that look like jetty's/piers randomly placed down the mountain that worry me Shocked
Hamsterley Forest is pretty good for mountain biking.....trouble is they don't have a chair lift to get you to the top of the hills!!! rolling eyes rolling eyes
Quite fancy the parapenting thing though Smile
latest report
There's a lot of parapenting in Les Saisies in the summer, also over Lake Annecy, where they can practice the really hairy manoevres, like deliberate stalls, and land in the water if it all goes pear-shaped (actually, that's only one of the shapes the advanced fliers make).
snow conditions
R32, usually at Hamsterley most Bank Holiday weekends, but not this one.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, going to Xscape Glasgow on monday .
snow report
I haven't tried Glasgow, but tend to meet up with other snowHead 's at Castleford occasionally. Hubby and kids are rather underwhelmed by it all though. We will definitely have a day in LDA on the glacie over the summer though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, we shall have to line up a few summer meets in the 'domes. I'm keeping an eye out for EB's skitest dates.
snow report
FenlandSkier, sounds good to me.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, when will you be out in the summer, any dates set yet
ski holidays
Have very rarely had proper summer holidays as I've invariably made the decision to have a winter holiday and not had much money left.
However am feeling very tired - lots of work at the moment - and the fact I haven't had a 'chill' holiday for years means that this year I'm going to take a week off to go somewhere hot and do b****r all except for eat, drink, sleep and read trashy novels!!!!!
ski holidays
mountain mad, Do it in LDA, 30 degrees in the village during summer, and just think -2 degrees on the glacier Very Happy

ski in the mornings eat, drink and sun in the afternoon, Smile or even (MOUNTAIN BIKE Shocked).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 6-05-07 12:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
R32, July 14th-27th,
snow conditions
I know R32 - but if I go there I will end up doing lots of activities because I can't help myself - will be up early to get on the glacier and then i'll end up on a mountain bike or something in the afternoon!
snow conditions
Lizzard, we've got a via ferrata opening up in the Lakes this summer, and a few friends and I fancy having a go, since we won't be getting to the Dolomites this summer, which is where I *really* want to go.
snow report
Julieanne, Just curious - why would you think you couldn't live all year in LDA? That's a bit what you implied. 2,200 of us do just that! We are NOT a purpose-built "ski station" (and the weather is better than in the Haute Savoie and the people are much friendlier!!!! (looking for huffing smilie) wink
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont,Been to Xscape today, we were rather 'underwhelmed' like your hubby and son too!! Sad
but I was getting paid to be there, so didn't mind too much Laughing Laughing Laughing .
latest report
pam w, Well, the plan is to have a go and see how I get on. I've come very close before now in Mayrhofen, Austri, when I went up the top to scope it out and I was full of confidence and couldn't wait to have a go. Standing at the edge I looked down and, obviously, it was a long long way down to the valley floor. That was okay though, I was expecting that. Whe I watched the next guy go over the edge he shot UP the same distance again on the thermals and at that point I sat down and reviewed the situation Laughing Talking to people who have done it though and it sounds like one of those things that just has to be done at some point!! So, in the Alps in July for a couple of weeks and hopefully, fongers crossed, I'll give it a bash!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy